1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity Defiance FAQ - Submit your questions here!

Discussion in 'General' started by Koni, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Usually it's just one consequence. Equal to number of blood tokens will just turn a character into unplayable cripple.

Look at it this way:
    To cancel Unconscious state you need to use Automedkit, Medkit or Medjector (or maybe also some skill, I'm not sure). Then follow the wording on equipment card, it usually says take one consequence (medjector lets you draw 3 and keep one).
    Check the entry "How to solve contradictions" on p.26, that should clear most of the questions.

Abrilete likes this.
  2. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Is there a consensus on how "this attack inflicts stunned state" from 2 Missile Launchers works with its splash attack switch? Is it considered part of the attack or a separate thing?

CAnon likes this.
  3. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Should apply to splash damage IMO

4. kendofarfar

kendofarfar Member

1. The rules on p12 state that you can only attack with a weapon that you are equipped with.
    2. p.10 states that equipped items are items in the hand-, head- or chest-slot, specifically not the backpack
    3. p.10 also states that items do not need a backpack-symbol to be in the backpack. Hand/s-, chest- and head-symbols are fine as well.

Do I need to equip a grenade in the hand slot to use it? (the rules say "yes")
    If so, why does it have a backpack-slot on one side? It could be put in the backpack anyway using the hand-symbol

#184 kendofarfar, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  5. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Grenades aren't weapons that you can make attacks with. They're equipment that has a special action defined on them which inflicts damage and then uses up the card.

Because you're using -not- them as a weapon to perform an attack, you don't have to equip them on one of the page 10 slots. (Edit: Was sleepy and left out a ‘not’ there...)

#185 solkan, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  6. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

I'm a little confused with how much info you can give to players. Let's say, mission 1: if you try to open the 2nd door while nox leaders still on Stalker - Agness dies. When can you tell a player what console inputs are? When can you tell the results of these inputs? Can a player not interact with console when they find out they're about to kill Agness?

7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The instruction for consoles is "Each Console's inputs are grouped to be consulted only when a Character interacts with the Console." Cross referencing with the Console rules:
    "All of the Symbols obtained in the Roll must be assigned to the inputs of the Console, as described in the mission instructions, or discarded if they cannot be assigned." Two bullet points later, the rules emphasize "You decide the order in which the Symbols are assigned, but you must assign Symbols if possible -- you can only discard a Symbol if it cannot be assigned to any of the inputs."

Note: I double checked, and the rules specify that you roll 1:-: when you interact with the console. If you have a hacking device, you may (my emphasis) use its hacking roll instead, but you don't have to. But you do not get the option of not rolling. I'll leave calculating what the odds of getting only :1: on a blue vs. the odds of getting only :1: on yellow to someone else.

So, if you're going into the scenario trying to avoid advance knowledge, you won't have advance knowledge of what each of the consoles do. What happens is that you declare you're interacting with the console, then you get to look at the chart for that console and discover what the results do, and you can't get out of rolling or assigning results if you're afraid of what the consequences are.

Personally, I'm not sure whether releasing the B clamp before clearing the cockpit is a worse gotcha moment than activating the cockpit launch result before clearing the clamps. Edit: But I think it's worth pausing to consider what the odds of successfully completing the mission are if you end up activating the consoles in the wrong order. You've already moved the character over to the console instead of doing something else. Is it a mercy loss at that point?

--
    For clarity...

* If the mission doesn't have Phases, read the entire mission contents. If the mission does have phases, read through to the end of Phase 1. (And when a new phase starts, you read the whole text of that phase.)
    I think it's also necessary to read the End of Mission section when you've read the last phase of the mission.

In an ideal situation, you'd get someone to copy out and separate each of the console boxes, each Phase of the mission, the blue boxes ("Security Door Opens (Console 1)", etc) and each of the orange boxes.

#187 solkan, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Croepoek and Lucian like this.
  8. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

So it goes like:
    1. "- I wanna interact with console"
    2. You get to see inputs and their results
    3. You decide whether or not to use Picklock/Cat burglar for interaction
    Right?

It would be so much easier if it was just another deck of input cards.

Abrilete likes this.
  9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Croepoek likes this.
  10. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That's the right sequence, yeah. Just remember that those input cards are there as a record keeping element, each of the scenarios would still need the custom input charts. And then it's just a matter of "So, when do I look at the charts?"

Like I was trying to allude to before, it takes a lot of effort to move a character over to the console in preparation to interact with the console. So it's not just "Oh, great, my hacking roll could kill that character", it's "We just did all of that stuff so that I could move over here, and now we find out that my hacking roll could kill that character."

For me, it comes down to the problem that surprise elements for a scenario don't really work unless you're completely on board with "Anything we do could potentially make us lose." (And there are enough Roguelike games that have been written that there have to be players who are on board with that sort of thing...) If you're not on board with that, then read the entire scenario and look at all of the charts at the start.

11. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Where do the "extra" missions fit in in the campaign in the expansions?

Valdrak and d_b like this.
  12. Hecaton

What is the intended use of the "Explosives Expert" specialty card for Trishala? It seems woefully underpowered and/or to not interact properly with the mechanics of D-charges.

nil likes this.
  13. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

IIRC, they said they'd planned other explosives cards for the expansions, but then ended up reworking/removing them.

Explosives Expert was kind of forgotten in the midst of all that.

Thankfully it is so obviously bad as-is that it shouldn't even constitute a noob trap, but it's still a shame that it's basically a wasted slot in her tree. (source: Trish who just got her Feuerbach)

Alfy likes this.
  14. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

15. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

They’ve been out for the Christmas and end of year holiday since 23 or 24 December, I believe, and will be back in the office Monday 3 January if I’m not mistaken.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  16. Hecaton

Yeah, but it could use another look.

CAnon likes this.
  17. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I still hope that, sometime in the future, that make a new Kickstarter for Defiance 2.0 and take the chance to publish an updated rulebook (and more missions). They already have the models, the cards and the tiles designed, reprints would be affordable as they only have to pay for the cost of the materials and not the design.

They could even get new players, eve if it's just for the new chance of getting the models and the reinforcement packs.

Alfy and Daniel Darko like this.
  18. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Huh. I've got a follow up question about that. In Mission 4 there's an input that says "If there's a Character adjacent to console 3 you extract the Navigation records". How does it work if there's no one adjacent?
    1. You cannot put symbols into that input until someone is adjacent.
    2. You spend all the symbols into that, but there's no Character adjacent to that console at this moment. You lose the opportunity to get nav. records in this mission (since you always have to input all the symbols, and if you put all possible symbols you cannot interact).
    3. The input sequence is complete and you can complete objective it by interacting later.

19. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

After starting a new campain, one of us started reading the rules and found out that backpack entry has something like this:
    Which brings a question - do two-hand weapons (two hand symbols) and helmet+armor considered to be taking two spaces in the backpack?

CAnon likes this.
  20. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Just to clarify - does this mean you cannot exchange starting equipment between characters at all? Or just during Phase 7 and when everyone deployed on mission they can suddenly exchange weapons?
    [​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation