1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperial Intelligence Service

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Let me pitch to you a concept for a sectorial.

Calling this complete would be a a laughable statement, but it's the ghost of a sectorial - a proof of concept so to speak. And yes, it's a very extensive wish-list. (I'm bored at work, okay?)

Closely related to the Yan Jing, the IIS is a service with recently expanded operative mandate to include a more active role. The IIS is seen by some ISS commanders as overstepping their responsibilities and intruding on the territory of the ISS as the chief internal security and counter-subversion force within Yu Jing, and there is a budding but already bitter rivalry between the two leading to lack of information exchange, delays and operations being spoiled as a result. As it were, it is not that the information on the imminent JSA betrayal was not intercepted, but that the information due to this rivalry wasn't spread properly internally and ignored as a result.

The IIS mandate focuses on information gathering, people gathering and pro-active threat elimination. Their job, roughly speaking, is to be proactive where ISS is to be reactive. As a result, the IIS has identified loyalist JSA soldiers, corporations and potential double agents and is actively working to protect them both from external threats as well as internal threats. The IIS sectorial features remnant elements of the JSA as well as a sizeable information warfare contingent. Notably the IIS is the primary protector of the loyalist Ninja clans.

In terms of units, the IIS would have a small amount of cross-pollination with the ISS, but only to the extent that low-ranking members such as the Bao are used. Some old JSA profiles could be salvaged.

Line up roughly with notable features:
    LI - Yanjing Operative - mid-teen mimetic 6S Zhanshi with more limited guns and extended hacking
    LI - Corporate Security Unit - represents extensive private contractors, very high AVA, innate fireteam Haris
    LI - Bao - Unchanged AVA, available as fireteam filler.
    MI - Raiden - Loyalist JSA, features Mimetism at appropriately increased cost
    HI - Karakuri - Only the best state-funded corporate espionage
    SK - Yanjing Double Agent - Basic Impersonation, Guilang statline, Silenced SMG as main feature and cost driver (and yes, this would be an expensive gun).
    SK - Guilang - Unchanged AVA
    SK - Ninja - Increased AVA, profiles changed to provide a breadth of roles rather than variety of cutlery.

I'm also imagining a security detail made up of JSA loyalists which features increased CC ability. Not necessarily to the degree of a Domaru and absolutely not heavy armour, but these are rather Keisotsu and police elements who've earned training and trust through loyalty and are no longer treated as cannon fodder.
    As for the Ninjas, let me pitch to you a Grappling Hook - spend a Short Movement Skill to move to a ledge that is within your movement value but higher or lower than your silhouette. It's like a low-tech version of Super-Jump or Climbing+ - but you get to pretend you're Batman while using it.

Footnote: When you imagine Yanjing, you should be imagining people who think tailor-made suits and sunglasses can hide bullet proof vests.

yoink101 and Space Ranger like this.
  2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

So essentially ISS mixed with JSA with a twist?

[​IMG]

Deltervees likes this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Hrm.

Well, I'd be severely pissed if someone was playing 'I have a secret' and it ended up concealing the Uprising. I mean, I lit into my boss in the Navy over not telling me what the hell was going on in the office so loud that the Captain heard it through two closed doors!

But yeah, would be nice to get a less disgusting Spook Sectorial.

A sufficiently-skilled tailor can in fact hide a pistol-proof vest, plus a pistol and P90-sized weapon. You do need to know the right tailor, however.

4. Mahtamori

@Zewrath not sure if that's a condemnation or approval. Significantly less ISS than Ikari, however.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of how different institutions ends up not talking to each other due to organisational issues or mutual mistrust. I believe that there has been some of that going on between CIA and FBI at times? Not to mention that occasionally the different armed forces branches might be experiencing this when they're poorly organised and lose focus on that they work better together and need each other - you know when the air force is allowed to think they're actually superior and some sort of modern knights, the army is allowed to think they're the only ones doing anything worthwhile and so on.
    As for the tailor, sure. But that's not the tailors that the massive beefcakey anime espionage agents hire :p

5. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

I can definitely see that sort of institutional mistrust/lack of communication as a way to explain how the Uprising was allowed to reach the point it did... lots of information, that taken all together would make clear what was happening, but the individuals and organizations holding it either have reasons not to want to fully share it or don't recognize the importance of passing it along. A Yuandun commander gets report of a planned riot and wants it to happen... putting down riots is what keeps his division funded... so doesnt inform the Kanren counterinsurgency desk who might try to diffuse the situation. Meanwhile the Kanren have a description of a mysterious Kuge agent who was sighted several times and flagged as of interest, but its got no hits in their database... which due to being funded from the Judiciary budget was built by Throne-aligned contractors instead of the New Wave-aligned ones who built the entirely separate one used by Ministry of State Defense Customs and Border Security which has clear records of the man's movements but no reason to consider them suspicious.

In terms of the units involved it seems the core of an interesting little sectorial. In terms of setting, to me, the idea of it being Imperial Intelligence may be cramming too much under the Imperial aegis. When looking for alternative internal intelligence agencies in Yu Jing, I'd lean more towards it being a department within the Ministry of Information, which needs to monitor the Yu Jing population in order to censor materials and disseminate propaganda, fertile ground for forming what could become a Party-controlled domestic intelligence service as counterbalance to the Imperial-controlled domestic intelligence work of the judiciary and its Imperial Service. But of course, while that agency might better integrate with units of the Yanjing (who are the intelligence arm of the Ministry of State Defense) it does run into the problem where borrowing Imperial agents like the Bao makes far less sense.

Mahtamori and Deltervees like this.
  6. Mahtamori

Thanks, Shiwen! Excellent analysis. At it's core, I'd like a sectorial that isn't all HI (licensed to kill, but not militarised) and that salvages some of the old JSA (not necessarily actual old JSA units, but specifically JSA in fluff) that is still Yu Jing compatible in terms of design space. Having such a sectorial could also have eased the transition slightly. Having them picked up and mixed into a Yanjing sectorial that is otherwise filled with Yu Jingese and a large dose of pragmatism would be decidedly neat.

And Yanjing being State is obvious in hindsight and gives even more credence to the internal mistrust.

7. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the FBI/CIA thing (as I understand it) is that the CIA is explicitly not allowed to operate inside the US, and the FBI has limited authority to operate outside the US. Classic Left hand/Right hand problem (ie, the Left Hand CIA didn't know what the right hand FBI was doing, and vice versa).

While you'd think it would be easy to order the CIA (and others) to tell the FBI about anything that comes to their attention about events inside the US, the problem is that simply having certain types of information can tell you how it was acquired. And no agency likes sharing that kind of info, because it has the bad habit of getting sources revealed, either from someone deliberately playing information-power games or by accident. It's something I have to keep in mind when I talk about stuff that happened in the Navy. Given enough cross-references and bits of stories, you can turn individually non-classified things into Hunt for Red October (or worse, Blind Man's Bluff, which I know got some very embarrassing questions asked. And I was only on the same base as those guys with nearly no contact!).

As I understand things on the Russian side, the KGB (State Security) had issues with getting information from the Military Intelligence guys. Same problem, nobody, regardless of country, wants to reveal sources&methods. Sources&methods are almost always classified as high as possible because revealing them will cause massive damage. Remember the Snowden and Wikileaks kerfluffles? Sources and Methods. I understand that you could hear profanity coming out of the Google offices as soon as they saw those slides.

So I can believe that there were some 'issues' that probably did contribute to the Uprising. But it's also something that The Party would be fixing with extreme haste as soon as the info came up.

ambisinister, Shiwen and Mahtamori like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation