1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IJW's Infinitely Long Painting Thread

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by ijw, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The underpainting on the test model is finished, plus the gun and pistol have had a base coat of Boltgun mixed with grey, ready for my usual thick wash of Chaos Black with some chestnut ink mixed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hat and boots are likely to end up dark grey with the jacket being a mid-green, haven't decided what colour to do the backpack yet.

The hat needs a bit of work as it's too shiny, but apart from that he's done apart from the face, trigger finger and base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The test model is done apart from the base:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus skin on several more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've started underpainting the Chasseur:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem now is that he looks so good as-is that people keep complementing me on his winter camo scheme. The question now it whether to change direction and make them all winter-camo models with patchy snow bases (we have some winter-themed tables at the club ), continue painting him or end up with a mix of models...

Section9 likes this.
  2. ijw

Anyway, here's the finished Chasseur apart from the base, I need to order a few bits and pieces from Antenociti's for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a few details were picked out in pale colours to give it a bit more variation.

And the start of the next Line Kazak to see how he looks in winter camo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Koin-Koin and Section9 like this.
  3. ijw

(January 2012)

Some more updates. I ordered a snow flock kit and green-brown tufts from Antenociti:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added some white camo striping to the Rifles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished the first Line Kazak in white, with several areas of darker green to differentiate him from the Chasseur:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And started on the white areas of the Highlander Grey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, some experiments with snow flock (on the right of each photo) and 'icy sparkles' (right of each photo) on the tufts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ijw

Satin spray varnish worked fine on the snow flock without making it look waterlogged, so here goes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some close-ups of the bases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final touch will be a layer of matt varnish to get of the shine on the models.

5. ijw

(February 2012)

What with the upcoming Spring Challenge tournment the Ariadna have gone on hold for the moment while I get some more Nomads assembled and painted.

She's unlikely to get use in the tournament as I'm running 'straight' Nomads rather than Bakunin, but here's a quick Moderator with Multi Sniper Rifle conversion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  6. ijw

Time for Evil Goat Git and his mistress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembly of the Pupnik was relatively straightforwards although the horns were a bit of a pain because they are so small to hold in place accurately. The right elbow got a 0.8mm paperclip pin as the whole weight of the model is resting on that join.

He'll be getting some more rubbish added to the base so the the lump of rock doesn't look so out of place, as will the other two Pupniks.

The Chimera on the other hand involved much use of a 0.3mm drill bit, a mini drill-press and some cut-down acupuncture needles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't quite get her left hand positioned correctly at the wrist but I'm not going back and redoing it. She's pinned at the left shoulder and both wrists.

Assembly photos to come at some stage...

How appropriate for the Evil Goat Git - the thread just passed through 66,666 views!

Section9 likes this.
  7. ijw

Assembly shots! The only joint on Evil Goat Git that I pinned was the right elbow due to it supporting the full weight of the model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The horns were a bit fiddly but in the end I decided to fix them to the head and then glue the head on. The disembodied head was quite spooky.

[​IMG]

Now the Chimera. Oh my good god she's thin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to some insanely small drill bits, my mini drill-press and some acupuncture needles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of work but worth the effort.

Section9 likes this.
  8. ijw

I got the fox Pupnik assembled this evening. His head ended up tilted further up than the studio version which makes him look more alert to my eyes, but does leave a gap under the chin. Given that it's not even visible from above I may not even fill it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  9. ijw

(March 2012)

Another long break, I blame all the tournament organising. [​IMG]

The 'basic' Intruder gets a bit of a bad press for his pose:

[​IMG]

As I currently have some spare Dark Eldar arms courtesy of Shaktar, I wondered if their layered upper arm armour would fit with the Intruder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too badly! I'll be carving off some of the spikes and possibly shortening the gun, but at least it looks like there's a flamethrower involved. [​IMG]

EDIT - I might try moving the knife arm down closer to the body and reversing the knife so that it's held along the forearm - the knife size isn't a problem as Intruders actually have CCWs rather than knives...

Section9 likes this.
  10. ijw

(April 2012)

Back to Haqq!

400+ posts and about a year ago in this thread I did some mockups of an Odalisque arm swap:

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.infinitythegame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3574&pid=79687#pid79687

Well, now I've started, inspired by the rumours of a four-Odalisque box set coming up in the future. The Spitfire Odalisque is a two-parter with only the knife arm separate while the BS Odalisque comes with right arm/gun and left arm separate.

[​IMG]

Some cutting work later and the Spitfire arm was separated from the knee and cut off at the top of the upper arm:

[​IMG]

Arms blu-tacked into position, the Spitfire arm joint has been pinned but only glued on the body end, there's enough play in it that I should be able to get the Spitfire pointing directly up in the air.

The kneeling Odalisque will be tilted back further and possibly with some basing material under her right foot to make her look less unbalanced. I'd hoped to have the BS pointing down toward the ground more but the left arm just ins't long enough - if you look at the component photos above her entire right breast has had to be filed away already...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all four Odalisques:

[​IMG]

EDIT - just had another thought for the kneeling one, have her resting her left knee on the top of a rock or similar for balance.

Section9 likes this.
  11. ijw

Managed to grab some time this evening to clean the parts and glue them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gap filling still to do, but it shouldn't be too bad, there's not really any sculpting to do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  12. ijw

(May 2012)

At one of the local conventions last year I picked up a cheap box of Yaokongs, planning to use them for my Nomads as I'm not a huge fan of the Zonds. I've now finally started assembling them (with plentiful magnets) but one is going to be a dual-purpose model both for Infinity for my Haqqislam and for 15mm gaming as an oversize Tachikoma/Think Tank.

First up, magnetising the rotary cannon/chin gun:

[​IMG]

And side/shoulder mount:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus the GML/sensor array/headlight:

[​IMG]

All magnetised parts:

[​IMG]

1.5mm ply base so that it doesn't look out of place next to 15mm models, with pinned feet and 5mm holes for the transport magnets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled with options:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Including a magnetised 15mm figure:

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  13. ijw

As a favour to mightymuffin who's not done much pinning, I offered to fix his flying Wulver who had unfortunately snapped at the wrist. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This involved using dresssmaking pins (0.6mm) rather than my usual paperclip pins (0.8mm) due to the thin wrist!

[​IMG]

Some repositioning was done at the same time so that the model's knee could be pinned to the crash barrier, making a really solid three-way construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He needs a little filling at the wrist (using my newly-aquired Vallejo Plastic Putty/Liquid Greenstuff without the green dye) and also a bit more at the shoulder as the arm has been turned slightly from it's designed angle.

I'm pretty happy with it, nice and solid - that last photo shows the pinned model holding together rigidly and it hasn't been glued yet!

Section9 likes this.
  14. ijw

This update involves paint, although it's only white undercoat plus a black ink wash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be sticking roughly to the same purple colour scheme as the existing Nomads but decided to try a shaded white undercoat instead of black as I'm hoping it will be faster as well as giving stronger colours.

15. ijw

(February 2013)

Have I really not updated this thread in nine months? [​IMG]

Anyway...

After a long time of liking the model, I finally got hold of Bran do Castro, The Triple-Zero.

[​IMG]

Being a child of the Seventies and Eighties, my immediate association is Monkey!

[​IMG]

Parts laid out:

[​IMG]

Parts cleaned up, note the pin in the bottom of the hatch, there's way too much leverage on this joint to trust it without. The hole broke through the back side of the piece but was angled so that it'll be hidden at the back. Also, note the recurled tail:

[​IMG]

Assembled! I made sure to position the tail so that it could be glued to the thigh/shorts as well as at the end to give a much stronger connection. It was also carefully positioned to fit the overall pose while being safely tucked under the front arm, I'm way too paranoid about it snapping off to put it anywhere that sticks out!

[​IMG]

I'd originally planned some Milliput work to add a neckerchief and headband to match the Seventies TV show more closely but I'm not sure my sculpting skills are up to the job. [​IMG]

The paint scheme will definitely be the same red/yellow/grey colours though. [​IMG]

P.S. I tried him out on the tabletop last night, Camo + Superior Infiltration + Super Jump + Climbing Plus is simply awesome.

Section9 likes this.
  16. ijw

(August 2013)

Nearly six months?!? Oh-oh.

I finally finished assembling the Szalamandra nearly two years on...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The rotary cannon to make the HMC look more menacing is an Assault Cannon from the Evil Empire™ plus a Zinge flexible ammo feed as the one that comes with the Szalamandra has a tendency of falling to bits as soon as you look at it. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks like I've got a bit of a backlog of stuff to photograph and add to the thread, the Überfallkommando is mostly base-coloured and there's Scarface and a Custodier assembled...

Section9 likes this.
  17. ijw

Holy triple-head-swap, Batman!

Having finally dug out the Chandra I got for use as a Nomad Spec Ops, some alteration was needed to make it more specifically Nomad-like in looks. This got a bit out of hand. The unhelmeted Chandra head is going on a Morlock. The Morlock head is going on a Riot Grll. The Riot Grrl head is going on the Chandra. The helmeted Chandra head is going on a Riot Grrl...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then decided that the gun didn't look right and decided to chop most of it off to be replaced with a Nomad Combi Rifle. Finally, a 2x2mm magnet was drilled into the back pack to allow for swappable extra guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison with the original:

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  18. ijw

(March 2014)

Having not got any models done for ages, here's my birthday Iggy. [​IMG]

Surprisingly little pinning was involved:

Two short pins per foot into the base due to the small amount of overlap (didn't want to use the base extension).

Two pins into the tail.

One pin into the ammo hopper.

Two pins into the HMG arm's shoulder, drilled all the way through the shoulder and into the torso as the shoulder pads would hide the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shoulder pads and ammo feed haven't been glued into place yet, I'm considering whether it's worth micro-pinning the ends of the ammo feed in place.

Also constructed recently were a basic Zero and a Morlock but no photos of those yet.

Section9 likes this.
  19. ijw

Here's the tacked-together test for my twin Combi Gecko. Pilot arms and backpack left off for this test but they'll be added as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When looking at the concept art I thought the big banana clip forearm guns were supposed to be the Combi Rifles so was a bit disappointed to find out they were pistol-sized template weapons. [​IMG]

This version looks much more like something that would be useful in a boarding action. Overall this was much easier than I'd feared, the forearm plate on the right arm carved and clipped away pretty well and the hands won't even need much resculpting where the Combis were cut away.

The Mk 12 will probably get some kind of riot shield over the gap on the left forearm where the Chain Colt was.

I'd love to show one of the Panzerfaust/Blitzen pods opening and firing a missile but I suspect that's past the level of conversion I want to do for a gaming figure.

Section9 likes this.
  20. ijw

(May 2014)

Got my Antenociti LoF strips last week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Tech bases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation