1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IJW's Infinitely Long Painting Thread

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by ijw, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

And some more:

[​IMG]

In the middle you can see the Hafza has a Rifle-Shotgun slung in the small of his back.

The fins? No, not the fins! Won't someone please save me from the fins?!?

[​IMG]

If you're not intimately familiar with the Nomad range, these are the fins from the back of a Hellcat, I've been assembling some more of the Nomads:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus the second Naffatun:

[​IMG]

While I'm thinking of it, here's the Yuan Yuan who was assembled a couple of weeks ago just because it's a lovely sculpt.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how she's supposed to be doing a Tai Chi sword-form with those wings on, though, they'd end up getting chopped off!

Section9 likes this.
  2. ijw

The thrusters are rather nice.

On the subject of fins and wings and things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One fully-assembled Hellcat with HMG. Attaching the wings involved filing down the rounded sides of the backpack to get enough surface area to glue them on. [​IMG] On the underside of the resin base you can see the magnet for transport.

In a cunning plan, I lined her up so that the diagonal of the hatch cover shows the front 180˚ LoF arc.

Meanwhile, a Moderator with Light Grenade Launcher conversion, I cut way below the main barrel and added some plasticard rod with a hole glued in the end:

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  3. ijw

You can't stop The Fates...

The conversion was inspired by the relatively small difference between the Combi-Rifle and Combi-Rifle/Marker.

Right, just what every Nomad commander needs - MOAR KOALAS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a group shot of the recently-assembled models:

[​IMG]

You'll notice that most of them are on 'bare' bases, this will be painted up as tarmac. The Intruder HMG is waiting on my ordering some more resin bases from Antenociti.

Always more Koalas. [​IMG]

I've been adding magnets to bases:

[​IMG]

Plus a second assembled Morlock and second cleaned-up Moderator:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you may have guessed from the large resin base, I've also started assembly of the Szalamandra, not for the tournament though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some comparison photos for scale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  4. ijw

Somehow I miscounted the number of models left for the tournament lists, there are four left not undercoated. Shown here with some of Antenociti's newer SF decking bases:

[​IMG]

Morlock, unassembled Prowler, Moderator (managed to snap the CR barrel when bending the legs a bit) and Intruder HMG.

Plus the undercoated ones:

[​IMG]

Plus a semi-painted Lunokhod. Quite a lot to go...

All models for the tournament lists now assembled/based! Including pinning that darn Combi-Rifle barrel.

Super-teeny-tiny-mini drill to the rescue! 0.6mm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not doing any more work on the Szally at the moment but here's the flexible resin ammo feed, as you can see it's very flexible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  5. ijw

After the assembly work I got going with the Lunokhod Sputnik. It's not going to be as smooth as the Tsyklon but it's being painted in 1/2 to 2/3 of the time. Metallics, purples and base colour for the yellow done with blacks, green 'windscreen', lights and assorted detailing to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus yesterday I managed to glue down some of my (hard to pick up) thin card markers onto 1.5mm ply discs from Fenris:

[​IMG]

And, while I'm at it, a minimal batrep from Tuesday against Dom's Aleph.

Stage One - facing two apparent Achilles, with the first turn I decide to pile my Maasai & Koalas up near one of them (taking inefective pot-shots at a Netrod on the way) and my Interventor managed to hack him through the Maasai's Repeater first go! Go go gadget Interventor!

The Maasai decided it was now safe to peek around the corner and let rip with his Combi-Rifle, getting a crit and a hit which Achilles failed to save. What I should have done at this point was instead have the Maasai stay looking around the corner instead of peeking and then put Suppressive Fire over Achilles and hopefully taking him out with the 'free' shots. However the Koalas were also repositioned as part of the Maasai's move-shoot.

[​IMG]

The other Achilles was of course Patroclus who decided to re-cloak from holo1 to holo2 and use the holo counters to play shell games with the Koalas so that Achilles could try and reset in relative safety. A tactic learned from watching REND deal with my Koalas with his Yu Jing...

Unfortunately one of the Koalas made a beeline for Patroclus, blowing past his NWI with a nice bit of Shock ammo. [​IMG]

Achilles then managed to reset even in the face of the Interventor's FtF roll and did his usual scary 'kill everything he comes across', taking out the Maasai (and not getting hacked), running down toward my right flank and taking out my Reaktion Zond even with unfavourable range bands on his Spitfire and then hunkering down into cover.

Unfortunately it then started going wrong (again) for Achilles - my Tsyklon fired off a Repeater just behind him and the Interventor again hacked him on the first attempt! Achilles was now lugging around two wound markers, an immobilised marker and a red bead to show that he was now Impetuous.

[​IMG]

He wouldn't be Impetuous much longer, however, as it was now the Lunokhod's turn to play. Whoosh!

[​IMG]

With Patroclus & Achilles dead, Dom was in Retreat and Loss of Lieutenant and we called it there.

While I'm thinking of it, the Maasai did a Cautious Move at one point and it wasn't until after the game that I wondered what happens with the Koalas. They aren't Remotes on the other hand they aren't really models as such - would they count as using Cautious Move as well?

Xeurian and Section9 like this.
  6. ijw

Green windscreen and yellow rims base-coloured on the Lunokhod, that'll probably be it for now apart from some detailing on the currently unpainted weapon assembly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tarmac/bare bases on the undercoated models have been started, a couple of thin coats of mid-light grey plus some highlighting and then a drybrush using near-white, they will get a thick wash of dark grey and then some road markings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  7. ijw

(June 2011)

After another break...

All remaining models are undercoated and most of the bases are done.

[​IMG]

With Antenociti's bases I painted the different panels quite quickly/crudely in grey, Boltgun, bronze and (with a brown undercoat) gold:

[​IMG]

Then gave them a thick wash of watered down Coat d'Arms black mixed with a lot of their chestnut ink wash:

[​IMG]

While the tarmac bases got a thick dark grey wash and once dry were drybrushed back up through blue-grey to near-white. They still need some road markings added, though.

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  8. ijw

Got started on the two Moderators. Layered dark grey on the trousers and mini-skirt plus a slightly unsuccessful attempt at underpainted purple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purple then highlighted with a mix of purple ink, purple paint and white paint, the ink helps make the colour really vivid. As moderators are actually a police force I decided to give them blue and white stripes on one shoulder pad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit more detailing, dark brown wash on the male Mod's skin & bits of the guns, dark green paint plus yellow glaze wash over the green ribbing, not so sure about the dark brown tights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got the female Mod's skin plus hair, shoes and gun bodies to do on both models.

Another update, grey areas and green ribbing base coat on another four models:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Koin-Koin and Section9 like this.
  9. ijw

Minor update - white base coat for the purple areas on the Koalas, Maasai and Prowler:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided that the prowler is going to keep quite a lot of dark areas. The Maasai's backpack will probably end up brown or dark green.

Now with added purple!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is again a mix of watered down really saturated purple paint mixed with dark purple ink.

10. ijw

Orange-brown 'grippy' pads on the guns and shoes, metallic base coat on some details, started brown skin on the Maasai and also on the female Morlock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also went back to the two Moderators and highlighted the grippy areas to match the others and gave the male figure a base coat on the hair:

[​IMG]

Metallic areas washed/inked (the same mix then got used on the dark skin tones to make them less pasty), green/yellow ribbing has had a wash with a mix of dark green paint mixed with old GW yellow & green glazes, purple areas on Intruder have been undercoated white and the Morlock's tentacle hair has (appropriately) been painted tentacle pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still not sure what colour to do the Morlock's cloak, and the grey areas on the Intruder are still flat grey. it's all coming along nicely.

11. ijw

The Intruder got purple armour, it is actually the same colour as the Prowler, plus the Morlock got some glazes on her 'hair':

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The eyes, no not the EYES!

[​IMG]

12. ijw

Bunny Girl is done apart from a few small details! Plus the Intruder & Morlock are now painted enough for the tournament:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following the inspiration from another poster's version I decided to make her an albino, complete with red eyes.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday I faced an Ariadna list of my own invention that involved two Dog-Warriors, McMurrough (all proxied as the order hadn't come in yet) and Duroc and deployed way too aggressively forward with my mostly-infilitrating Nomads. The result:

[​IMG]

However the second game made up for this, with Domo's Myrmidon getting jumped on by four Koalas and triggering a nearby mine:

[​IMG]

Now that the tournament is out of the way I've started work on the Haqqislam/Qapu Khalki again.

Here's the assembled Al Hawwa Hacker next to one of Antenociti's sentry guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's coincidence that the Al Hawwa happens to look like he's controlling it. Honest. [​IMG]

13. ijw

(July 2011)

The Lasiq with Viral Sniper Rifle is assembled, quite a bit of filling work to do as the 'skirt' didn't join up very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't as much gap to fill as it looks in the photo, I could probably have made the split on the skirt smaller with some careful bending, though.

I wasn't that happy with the first desert texture mix that was used on the three painted models so did another mix. Roughly 60% fine sand with some other grades of sand and fine gravel mixed in, 20% flock, 10% PVA, 10% acrylic paint.

Test Ghulam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was happy with that, so here's the rest of the Haqqislam painting queue, apart from the other two Odalisques which are waiting for time to do an arm swap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  14. ijw

More paint and finer sand is what made most of the difference.

Now with added magnets!

[​IMG]

Now with undercoat:

[​IMG]

EDIT - the previously assembled Yuan Yuan has crept in there...

Bases pretty much done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a thin coat of watered down pale sandy-brown followed by two successive thinner washes of darker browns.

Section9 likes this.
  15. ijw

(October 2011)

Three months! It's been a busy Summer.

Somehow, the models I have got painted never made it into the thread even though they were photographed ages ago...

Two Naffatun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus dark brown/black paint and ink wash on the guns and blue visors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No paint, but some more construction work done on the Szalamandra.

Two pins to connect the 'body' to the 'head'. Due to being a bit out of practice i managed to snap TWO drill bits doing this. Grr.

[​IMG]

The altered HMC glued together, it still needs some extra work along the bottom edge:

[​IMG]

One of the back rods with a pin in it with a Zero for scale:

[​IMG]

In use in a game last night, the HMC arm will be further down and the HF arm horizontal.

[​IMG]

16. ijw

Faction Three!

Back during BoW's Infinity Week I bought the 50% Ariadna Army Deal and also got a couple more blisters at Salute. As I'm now running a small slow-grow/escalation league in the local gaming venue this seemed like a good time to break them out...

The first hundred points consists of:

[​IMG] ARIADNA

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 (Regs: 5/Irrs: 0):

[​IMG]TANKHUNTER AP Rifle, Adhesive Launcher, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife (27)

[​IMG]LINE KAZAK Rifle / Pistol, Knife (9)

[​IMG]ZOUAVE Rifle, D.E.P. / Assault Pistol, Knife (20 | 0.5)

[​IMG]HIGHLANDER GREY Rifle, 2 Light Shotguns, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, CCW (30)

[​IMG]KAZAK DÓKTOR Rifle / Pistol, Knife (13)

99 Points | SWC: 0.5

ARMY CODE:

eNozNlS1UDNQM6wxBJPmELahmgmQMrIE8QB+rQdM
    Army Infinity v.3.0.

I'll be painting the female Line Kazak model as a Kazak Doctor.

[​IMG]

First comes the Tankhunter, as the wrists where the gun joins the model are absolutely tiny I decided this needed pinning to have any chance of staying together long enough to paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might add the rifle as well, tucking it alongside the backpack on the same side as the ADHL.

With the rest of the starter, a Zouave Sniper Sapper, Moblot HMG Sapper and the other two Tankhunter models I've got almost exactly 300 points - Margot and Duroc got sold to another Ariadna player at some stage.

Section9 and Modock like this.
  17. ijw

(November 2011)

Now up to four assembled models:

[​IMG]

I decided to add the AP Rifle to the Tankhunter although the shoulder butt broke off while I was cleaning it up.

[​IMG]

Just the Highlander Grey to go for now, still not sure on this one due to the pose.

[​IMG]

The base texture will be mud with quite a bit of static grass on top to give a really clear distinction from the urban/industrial Nomad bases and desert Haqqislam bases.

The painting style and colours I'm not totally decided on yet but am thinking of trying white undercoat with grey and thin black washes as a starting point with translucent coats of paint and ink on top. That should give decent contrast and colour while being quite fast to paint.

The Russians/Kossacks may end up being in grey tones with red trim on the other hand that wouldn't suit the camo-aesthetic of Ariadna so well.

P.S. I went with the ADHL/AP Rifle Tankhunter even though I prefer the Autocannon model as I'm hoping for some new cannon fodder... err, new players with the slow-grow league and want to have a relatively tame list for use against them.

I've done a bit of carving around the right shoulder to make that arm fit facing forwards, looks like it'll make an OK 'gun kata' pose:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  18. ijw

I went with the stock head in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some gap filling on the right shoulder and he's done.

Today I managed to get some time to put together the Zouave Sapper Sniper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The green is plasticine which can be a bit soft but by the time it's covered with some kind of glue/texture mix it should be fine and should stop the foxhole looking likes it's been sat down on top of the scenery.

Section9 likes this.
  19. ijw

After seeing Jens' excellent female Chasseur I'm going to go for something similar but much simplified for the Ariadna bases:

http://www.infinitythegame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1147&pid=143164#pid143164

First I added some old Plasticine to the bases to break up the flatness of he bases, in a few places adding small ponds by starting with a loop of material:

[​IMG]

The loop is then smoothed down so that it blends into the base plane:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then put a layer of superglue over the Plasticine and dipped the lot in sand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if the sand is too coarse to look like earth but it may look very different once it's painted...

Section9 likes this.
  20. ijw

(December 2011)

The green on the Tsyklon will be staying put for the foreseeable future, too many other models to paint!

Just realised how long it is since I did an Ariadna update...

After the sand turned out to be too coarse I went over it with a gloopy mixture of acrylic paint and PVA which smoothed it out a bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After white undercoating and a thickish dark brown wash (shading to grey on the Sapper's foxhole) they're looking good as a starting point to add some grass/moss/reed patches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, I finally assembled the reason for getting some Ariadna - AUTOCANNON!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going for yet another painting style to make them look different from the Nomads & Haqq I decided to go for another underpainting technique where most of the shading is done in shades of grey and colour is then added in glazes/washes. The models got a medium-thin wash of pale grey and then a thin wash of Coat d'Arms black, what used to be the old GW Chaos Black many moons ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black wash ended up dulling the models down a bit too far so here's the partially-painted tester model with white highlights according to overhead lighting and then thin coatings of Vallejo colour added on top, placing the paint so that it was slightly thicker in the shadows and thinner where the highlights where so that the white undercoat glows through.

[​IMG]

Finally, for now, the colours used.

[​IMG]

Section9 likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation