1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea how to change crits and mates

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by ChoTimberwolf, Feb 5, 2018.

1. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Not sure if this belongs here but this is solely my idea or ideas from friends.

These are not actually rules!

I honestly dislike the crit rules as they are now, I don't have fun with them it feels cheap if I get a crit and same if I get critted. My idea is to change it that if you get a crit it changes to making that armor roll with 0 armor, so I crit with a HMG means for the target hit he needs to roll over 15 doesn't matter how much armor he has. This could actually become to strong with stuff like exp because it would mean 3 rolls with 0 armor.

I am a Tohaa player and mates feel also cheap. I think what a nice change would be to be able to reroll failed armor rolls. For example my unit with mate gets hit 4 times, I rolls his armor rolls 2 passed 2 failed now I activate mate and reroll the two failed rolls, one passes one fails again. I get one wound

#1 ChoTimberwolf, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Would also mean that ARM0 models care not if they are crit and that models which rely on crits (basically all CC22+) are massively disadvantaged. I mean more disadvantaged.

As for 'mates - why not simply Fire Sensitive?

3. ChoTimberwolf

Not quite right because cover would be ignored too and yeah the cc units would need some rebalancing with that change

So if hit by fire it gets destroyed directly?

4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Cover has to specifically be called out as being ignored, though.

Yeah, hit by Fire and the 'mate goes poof before ARM rolls. Or if you want a slightly kinder version, it'll negate only the non-fire attacks during that order. It'd stil be a strong nerf to them, though it does mean that in the future fire is the solution to all problems. All. Problems. Sort of makes fire ammo a bit too important and I'd be happier if e/m was more important at doing that stuff (particularly against stuff like TO Camo or ODD and the likes of high tech stuff)

5. ChoTimberwolf

`Thought my example would clarify that

yeah on the other sides would make fractions with lots of fire ammo even stronger and the ones with less fire ammo weaker

6. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Mates:
    Leave them as they are but only allow to absorb half of all successful hits rounded up.
    So for example 2 Missile Launcher and a Combi hit turn into one Combi hit.
    This still leaves the Mate useful as it can diminish the volume of small arms fire or deadly single hits, but won't negate a full HMG Burst or 5 AROs to the face anymore.

Crits:
    +6 to DAM and BS/CC exceeding 20 is added to your DAM value.
    As currently the critical effect will only apply once, even if the weapon causes multiple ARM rolls.

Example: Achilles using MA3 rolls a 16. CC24+3 means Achilles rolled 3 over Crit value.
    He now hits with his Explosive CCW with DAM 15 +6 for the Crit +3 for rolling higher than needed. The critical effect only applies once, so the target makes 3 ARM saves, one against DAM 24 and 2 against DAM 15.

This would be a buff to ARM, which is currently overcosted.

7. Ieldin Soecr

Ieldin Soecr Well-Known Member

Mates:
    Make them a Short Skill/Aro that works like they are currently doing, but only remove the mate when the user actually received a hit during that order. With this they are better integrated in the skill system and don't generate so many rule edge cases and they are a more tactical tool to use for the Tohaa player instead of "Always shot and if you fail take the mate".

Crits:
    I like the actual mechanic of crits that you win the FtF-Roll regardless of the roll of the enemy. It works good for non lethal skills like dodge and smoke throwing. I only have a problem with the instant wound it generates on most ammo types. Instead I would ike crits with weapons to automaticly inflict the stunned state on the target. With this it is out for the rest of the turn and an easy prey, but at the same time it is still usable if it survives.

Mask and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  8. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

Not to be a wet blanket but I really feel like speculation on how you'd like to change the rules doesn't really belong in this particular section of the forum?

9. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

I believe that mates are overcosted. There. I said it.

In all seriousness though I think they're fair given the context of Tohaa. They're annoying as buggery and strong but most factions have something that makes them strong.

10. macfergusson

I think they're brokenly OP, personally, but that's not really relevant. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zewrath, Keyrott, Mask and 2 others like this.
  11. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I think they're one of the few examples of poor game design that you see in Infinity. They remind me of the type of "patch" units you see in games like Warmachine/Hordes.

Zewrath, meikyoushisui, Mask and 2 others like this.
  12. ChoTimberwolf

In which section would it belong?

13. macfergusson

Keyrott, Aldo, Wolf and 3 others like this.
  14. ChoTimberwolf

Maybe there yeah but thats why I wrote in the first sentence that these are just ideas, yeah its not the best place

15. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

There was some talk of creating a rules subforum for just this type of discussion. Alas, the conversation and any actions resulting from it have been put on the back burner, it seems. Access Guide seems like the next logical place for now.

16. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

You could always champion this cause in the Tohaa forum. I'd support changing Mates :)

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  17. ChoTimberwolf

We don't think that anyone official ever looks in the Tohaa forum ;)
    I like playing Tohaa and I like the mates but they are to much right now, I would love to take the bombs sometimes but in a tournament the six points for mates are just better right now

Mask likes this.
  18. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I really have no issue with mates, you can simply draw them out with an attack most targets have 1W simbiot so they can be tempted to waste it quite fast and they cost 0.5 SWC!.

On the actual topic, Criticals have been tested extensively and are integral part of the game mechanics some models cannot be killed without them and some weapons do not make sense without them, MA in particular become again irrelevant if critical is again a normal armour roll.

19. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Another one that dislikes the critical rule. A simple change could be that any critical has +3 DAM.

Keyrott likes this.
  20. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

If a specific case is the problem, specific rulings can solve the issue.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation