1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got myself some MAS scenery and need advice...

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Varsovian, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Hm. Thanks for the advice, I didn't think of that...

BTW. What does this product do, exactly? Is this some sort of primer for car paint? Remember that I need to find a Polish equivalent, so I need to know what I'm looking for :)

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the rattlecan primer for car paint. It etches the metal and sticks crazy-good to metal, fiberglass epoxy, wood, whatever. It also expands slightly so you can sand out small dents or whatever.

jherazob likes this.
  3. rhelyk

rhelyk Active Member

A few extra tips:

- assemble the MAS buildings BEFORE you paint them. Some companies have looser fit and can be painted in pieces, but MAS use a very tight cut and if you paint the pieces first they may not go together very well

- enamel based spray paint/primer is the best to use on MDF and HDF because it doesn't soak into the wood fibres and creates a good seal on the wood, which can be painted over with acrylics and polyurethane paints/primers like any other material. I can't recommend a Polish brand since I don't know what's available, but most cans will say "spray enamel" or "fast drying enamel" somewhere on them. Automotive primer can work OK, but enamel based paints and primers are best.

- small correction about primer: most primers do NOT etch into the metal at all, only specific self-etching primers do (they are specifically labeled as etching primer and are often more expensive). It has an acid and disolved zinc particls that eats into the metal and allows the zinc to bond with the outer surface, sealing the metal against corrosion and rust. It does NOT grip paint well, it's a metal sealer that you then prime over with regular automotive primer. We use it at my auto body shop only where we're doing repairs that are sanded down to bare metal to make sure that the repair doesn't rust. Regular primer doesn't etch anything, it just grips the surface really well. Don't use etching primer on miniatures unless you want your paint to rub off easily

Xeurian and jherazob like this.
  4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

OK, I stand corrected then! Trust the man who uses the stuff professionally!

I admit, my usual favorite primer is Krylon Fusion camouflage colors, not automotive primer.

jherazob likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation