1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am pretty bummed about the change in the Corregidor background

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by prophet of doom, Oct 13, 2020.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

That's a three years old thread!

2. SaladSnek

SaladSnek Well-Known Member

I would like if there were more working class history homages in Corregidor similar to how the other factions get units with a military lineage.

I used to think Corregidor sounded neat. Worker solidarity against corporate exploitation and all. It does seem like as of N4 they've been leaning farther into the 'bad part of space' prison ship vibe more.

In general the lore seems to be slipping slowly into the grim dark, strengthening suspicions I've heard that infinity is loosely a prequel to a certain other game system's lore.

I guess its a natural progression for the lore in a war game. You can't have everyone be cool or why are they doing war? Personally I'd like to see CB stretch out by expanding the combined or add some other alien threats rather than imagining the different human factions degenerating to the worst aspects of there ideologies. Something less of a bummer than that other game system.

Time Bandit likes this.
  3. psychoticstorm

I think it is a misunderstanding about Nomads lore, they never were "good guys" and their workforce was never anything but practically forced labor, that does not mean they do not care about their workers rights and protect them from corporate exploitations, on one hand when you are in Nomads and specifically Corregidor, you have to pay for every breath you take, on the other hand you know you have the full military and legal protection of your nation behind you wherever you are.

Personally I do not see any changes to the Nomads lore, I see some in depth descriptions on events previously broadly and briefly discussed, but that's about it.

4. SaladSnek

Makes sense. on its face the scrappy underdogs fighting the evil corporate superpowers are the 'good guys' in cyberpunk settings but Pan-O space doesn't seem like a bad place to live after reading the lore on the democracies of lobbies where everyone is incorporated. unless maybe your an A-tech.
    Yu-Jing doesn't sound like a place I'd like to live but there a nation facing up against Pan-o and very pragmatic about it in the classic legalist way.
    Tunguska sounds terrible unless your rich and a fan of Ayn Rand.
    Corregidor seems like its doing its best with what its been handed.
    Bakunin sounds like the place for me but I'm a weirdo and pretty accepting and even intrigued by all kinds of weirdos and friends with furriers in real life and can see why some might not be ready for a society THAT tolerant. Also social energy sounds like a neat system.
    Haqisalm society is the most difficult place for me to imagine what its like to live there. An enlightened Islamic golden age sounds cool but it also seems like the ones in control of the silk are pretty mercenary about maintaining there monopoly on it.
    Ariadna? I mean.. I have my troubles enjoying this century. Its alright. I imagine it wouldn't be too different there. Werewolf attacks wouldn't really improve my situation.

Time Bandit, Daaz and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  5. psychoticstorm

Some reading about the historical Golden Age of Islam is needed to get a feeling how that society kind of works, as for the Magnates, I feel they behave a lot like the Dutch when they were at the height of their colonial power.

chromedog and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  6. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

For me, PanO would probably be the safest power to live under. It was probably O-12 before Concilimun Prime unpleasantness. Corregidor and Ariadna are probably the most dangerous.

7. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

Don’t forget about Bakunin. Gangs are still there, and in the dark corners of lower levels no one would safe you from some wondering mad pupnik... or mad nun with a hummer, if she would decide, that you are filthy because you have ALEPH helper in your device.

Corregidor is understandable in it’s dangers) May be still better than Novy Bangkok x)

And yes, I would prefer PanO. May be Acontecimento planet or Neoterra... who knows.

8. SaladSnek

Naw! the worst criminals are on chill out drugs until the s*** hits the fan and they get the fun time drugs. The uberfall should leave you alone unless your up to something really, like REALLY freaky. In general no ones going to wantonly mess with you, why take the hit to there social energy? The observance might smash your comlog if you bring an aleph snitch on board though. The common arias might be a little chaotic Check out one of there many modules. Your perfect community could be waiting for you!

Oh yeah.. Last thing. Make sure not to call any of the riot grrls "chicks" :grimacing:

9. Ravenking

Ravenking Member

Here are my thoughts,

One of the things liked about the lore of Infinity was that all of the factions had a dark and a light side to them and could be seen as the heroes or villains. Aleph could be seen as a partner with humanity or its hidden master, and was both at the forefront of the war against the EI and launching covert black ops against those that reject it like the Nomads and Bakunin. I feel with some of the new stuff with Corregidor that the universe is in danger of moving in a Grim-dark direction. With Corregidor the prison direction the lore has taken is, well, wrong. The society they are portraying is beyond miserable and would fall apart as people left, died or just revolted against the hellish conditions. I am not saying they should ditch the resource scarcity of Corregidor but that the society should be livable and offer a real alternative to the ground-side factions or even the other nomad ships.

In outer space and with the resource constraints individualistic greed and selfishness could not be tolerated. The harsh nature of Corregidor's origins would mean internal violence would be a possibility but rather than the free-for-all in the lore, I imagine the ship as being far safer for the ordinary citizen then say Tunguska where money buys everything even justice or Bakunin where if you wlak into the wrong madule you can easily wind up dead. Good space ships are one good hull breach from total failure and Corregidor was never built for deep space flight, I would think the people would out of simple sense of self preservation ban all weapons to prevent some gangster from putting a bullet hole in a fuel line or causing an explosive decompression.

Corregidor never had to some sort of communist utopia, slandered by a hostile AI and the capitalist Panoceania but it has to be society that works well enough to keep its people alive healthy and supportive of the society and the new lore in my opinion created a system where at the first opportunity people would jump ship either for the wealth of Pano, the security of Yu Jing, the knowledge of Haqqislam, the opportunity of Airiadna or the absolute freedom of Bakunin and Tunguska.

Corregidor can work as a survival state focused on its own continuity but with the existence of competing factions open to immigrants it has to offer its people some vision beyond mere existence. Corregidor truly lives by "All for One and One for All", everyone must contribute, no exceptions, but the ship takes care of its own no matter what In such a society the individual can expect to be heard more or less equally without the privileges of wealth or rank but is also expected to follow the decision of the ship. No one gets left behind but also no one can opt out because their society could not survive either way.

Time Bandit, Daireann and burlesford like this.
  10. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Except that was always their lore? Only the most surface of surface readings gave anarcho-syndicalist. They were always "work or die", anarcho-capitalist in line with Bakunin and Tunguska.

There was that one story about Intruders going in and helping striking workers which were being exposed to radiation. But reading a bit more it became clear that Nomads fought for them because it destroys their labour force which was their actual resource to profit, not because they cared about workers wellbeing.

chromedog likes this.
  11. psychoticstorm

The Nomads nation deeply cares about its assets and for Corregidor its workforce, military or civilian, its its biggest asset, they will not allow it to be wasted for some megacorporation's short term profits.

BingBong, kesharq, chromedog and 2 others like this.
  12. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

The Helicon Miner’s Revolt was about protecting their workers, as was the founding of UTRACO. It’s kind of the same situation as in a loving but fractious family. “I can pick on my little brother, but God help anyone else who tries to pick on him!”

anubis, Time Bandit and csjarrat like this.
  13. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Sure would be nice if there were a nation-state like this in the real world.

Chaserabinov and Time Bandit like this.
  14. A Mão Esquerda

Part of the trade off, though, is the brutality within the ship, though. The Lobos, Aguaciles, etc., are a bit like BOPE, and the violence of the Jaguares, etc., is excessive.

Savnock likes this.
  15. Ravenking

Ravenking Member

The brutality is part of the problem. A spaceship is well a pressurized tin can in an airless void with cosmic radiation. Violence is well a threat to the entire ship. The violence described in Corregidor would destroy the ship eventually and the dismal nature of its society would ensure anyone with any actual skills or abilities would jump ship at the first chance. I think Corregidor lore would work better if they got rid of the violence and the lawless quality of the ship; less of a violent gang riddled prison and more of a communal tribe closer to nomadic hunter gathers (get it?). The people of said ship would not tolerate violence within their ship due to the extreme danger it would pose. If you want to have military units either descend from gangs or be penal battalions that's fine, all of the infinity nations have a dark side. Corregidor and the nomads are veering from flawed future society straight into grim-dark cyberpunk.

Chaserabinov likes this.
  16. A Mão Esquerda

The size of the ship, plus the conflation of guards, prisoners, and refugees makes for it to plausibly function the way that it does. It’s a different species of Bakunin’s (until we get to read the new book) Social Energy. Keep control of your assigned units, by hook or by crook, don’t cause trouble for the Warden, pay your dues, and I gets to happen. I think we also don’t quite have a good grasp of the literal size of the ship. With it being as big as it is, the flux it has is plausible.

chromedog likes this.
  17. psychoticstorm

I seriously doubt anyone is stupid or crazy enough to use hull breaching weaponry in the motherships, close combat and non penetrative weaponry is what has mostly been described in the lore, that been said Nomad motherships are massive described as the biggest vessels that can dock on the circulars, they are not mere ships and probably have stronger hulls than simple ships, Corregidor was not a ship to begin with, it was a massive space station.

18. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

You play Corregidor because you see them as worker rights pioneers and unionists.

I play Corregidor because it's full of cat-themed African war criminals.

We are not the same.

Of all the places in Human Sphere Corregidor is the one to avoid. Denma in Aftermath says that no one goes there because they want to. It's a place you end up in.

Golem2God and Rumdog like this.
  19. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Agreed. The Nomad nation in general is not a place you want to be in unless it gives you the freedom or privilege to live as you want. Which is quite the lifestyle if you have to live in the Nomad nation or your past has caused you to run here for one reason or another.

chromedog likes this.
  20. psychoticstorm

Even between the ships the culture is so different there are major rifts even for people born there, for an outsider any Nomads ship would and should look at the least strange and a hellhole at worse, it would not be the same for a native though as they grow into the madness and learn to live with it.

Golem2God and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation