1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Would You Rework The Infinity Range?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Del S, Sep 20, 2018.

1. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

Weapon options in starter and swc boxes would potentially chop the SKU numbers in half by eliminating some blisters (and potentially the basic troopers swc boxes as well...) while adding very little to the production capacity, since casting the extra guns/arms can be done in the same mold like the HMG grey.

2. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

That of course is the HMG Grey who has two different options for the same flipping gun I mean oh sweet Jesus on a tricycle doing backflips why on Earth would you do that guys please don't do it again.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Given the sculpt quality and movement each sculpt has, I don't think using a legs+torso combination for more than two different arms is a good idea, and most 4-body boxes already have two legs+torso with 4 arms.

All it'd lead to is more limited poses and more army repetition.

I think 6-body boxes is a more interesting take on it (i.e. 2x3 bodies with 6 different arms)

BLOODGOD, redeemer and ijw like this.
  4. cazboab

Yeah him. I don't know what it is about Ariadna's HMGs recently but from weird double packs to left handed Gunners with right handed armour on mormaers and the half chute half belt on veteran kazaks it's a bit like someone at CB is trying to convince us to use *more* T2 rifles...

5. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

I've seen, I've bought, I've assembled, I've painted (all in the last year).

I remain unimpressed, they are nowhere near top of the pile when it comes to quality plastic minis.

6. cazboab

6 body boxes are fine for AVA total, but the majority of units will max out at 5. Of course it's an easy fix, anything in a box of 6 gets bumped to AVA 6...

redeemer likes this.
  7. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, as I haven't read all the posts (but I sure hope it has been said).

Put multiple profile options into a blister/box.

For the love of GOD, give me two different bodies with arm options that fit both and include all the possible profile options for the unit. Even if you cut corners by including one option that is 'counts as any profile'.

That would reduce the heck out of SKUs.

With digital sculpting it isn't hard to do that. I'd even be happy if the arm options were specific to a particular body. Body A can have the HMG or Sniper arms, Body B can have the Combi and BSG arms. Whatever.

I would love to be able to buy a Zero or a Celestial Guard or a Fusilier and be able to assemble the unit profile I wanted. And it would reduce the SKUs.

Dragonstriker, cazboab and redeemer like this.
  8. Mahtamori

I don't think AVA needs to match or exceede the amount of unique models. It's more important that the weapons and gear shown are popular than that the AVA matches.

For example; Celestial Guard could have been done better with two variations of Kuang Shi Control Device and two of the Hacker, and (based on guesswork and online discussion) probably skipped the Spitfire entirely.
    - A unit doesn't need to have the complete range.

Another example; Guilang are hugely popular and could probably do with several Combi-rifle sculpts even if their AVA is only 2.
    - it's more important that the armies you often field have unique poses than that the armies you don't field often can be fielded without proxies.

Third example; Crane Agents has a high AVA of 4, but you'll typicall not use more than one or two at a time.
    - CB please stop making Cranes, for the love of all that is good in this world!

9. cazboab

I agree with that,or I'd have far fewer minutemen, but when you're selling them in 6s and only ever allowing 5 to be used it's a bit odd. And that's before you run into the ava 3 or 4 linkable troops like the JSA and CHA have.
    I don't think units need the complete range, especially if the common weapons are used as a proxy for the missing options, but their should be an effort to have as many options as possible available rather than only providing popular ones.

I think that's probably my second wish behind 'give Ariadna a TAG/Laika'. ..

Mahtamori likes this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

as @ijw mentioned, CB outsourced Aristeia! production to China, to a company that knows what it's doing with plastic. (The dramatically lower quality of the initial plastic minis was because CB has a much better 3d printer than that company in China does, and had only sent the company the 3d files for the Chinese to print. Now, CB prints the models and ships them to China.)

Dragonstriker likes this.
  11. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

This isn't a big deal.

First, two unique leg+torso poses per unit is plenty. The human body only moves in so many ways. Limit that by reasonable combat poses, limit it by reasonable poses for shooting a gun, and limit it by production and playability constraints and you wind up with not very much variability in poses.

Two leg/torso poses with additional variability in the arms is plenty, especially because you can vary the poses of different units. You can also introduce more variability into AVA Total line troops, which you can put into 5+ model box sets.

Toss in a little extra flavor with characters and special edition miniatures and you have lots and lots and lots of variability before you even get to conversions, which would be easier to do if we had easy access to spare arms, weapons, heads, etc. You also open up the potential for a nice secondary bits market, which is great for conversions.

Second, Infinity plays with a pretty darn small number of models, army repetition isn't that big of a concern.

Finally, there are lots of reasonable ways, especially with digital sculpting, to make multiple arm sets that 'match' a body while looking organic and doing a great deal to change the 'look and feel' of the model as a whole.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  12. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Cat Girl Daktari needs to be dropped, to put it bluntly. She's basically now replaced by that dumb skin for the other game.

Pilots can't be packaged with TAGs at least at the start. Not with how long TAGs have been sold for without their pilots. We'd realistically need a splash release of the pilots separately and from then on, pilots come with the TAGs at a slight price hike($5 or so tops).

I have more stuff that I can think of but I've ranted enough lately.

13. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

At least the Gorgos Pilot should be bundled together with the Gorgos, as she is MANDATORY (if your Symbiont Armour dies, you replace the model with the Pilot).

Berjiz and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  14. kanluwen

Let's be honest here. TAG pilots and bots in general are 'mandatory' at this point. They're part of the points cost of the item and can be deployed/dismounted at will.

The fact they're not part of the box is patently absurd.

DFW Ike, Berjiz and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  15. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

No its not. Why should I pay 20 bucks for models I dont need when buying full set of PanO tags ?

Current set of "buy pilots separate" is better than an additional tax for every TAG (you usually have many TAGs in collection but 95% of time you need only one pilot, 99% of time not more than 2).

16. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

That's only a problem for faction with more then one manned TAG, like PanO or CA. And in this case, there could be made a difference.

Abrilete likes this.
  17. kanluwen

You don't "need" them right now, but why should you have to pay $20 anytime you want one and get stuck with a Techbee? It's a part of the profile for the TAGs. It should damn well be in the box.
    You're talking about PanO. That's great and all, but PanO has the Crabbot which absolutely should be in the box. And let's not even remotely pretend a Crabbot by itself is going to add $20. The Crabbot is in a two model set with the Derpbee, same with the Danavas Hacker and Shankbot. Same with the Raicho Pilot and Stahldron. The price is artificially inflated by the addition of the non-Pilot/bot model.

It's amazing how those bots are part of a $20 box...while Nomads get Gecko Pilots for $12.49 a pop, which is how much the Derpbee and Danavas and Raicho Pilots likely would be solo. So you're looking at roughly $10 for the bots. Tops.

18. Mahtamori

Hold your arm straight and forward in front of you like you're a traffic cop pointing at a driver. Look down on your chest and wave your arm around in front of you. Notice how your breast squishes and unsquishes? Among others, this is the difference between GW-style units where each arm is individually poseable because it sits on a ball socket and Infinity-style (or Malifaux or other high-quality miniature manufacturers) where each arm goes one particular way.

Each set of torso only has a very limited number of angles you can put the arms in without compromising quality. For some poses, this means one single way, in the other extreme you might get away with up to about three (as long as we mean sufficiently distinct ways to bother). Games Workshop's way of doing it is perfectly serviceable and a compromise with the need of manufacturing a sprue that makes 8+ soldiers that a player wants 4+ sets of and still have none of the soldiers look quite the same. Infinity doesn't need that level of multiplicity, most soldiers you only need 1 or 2 different poses of the same gear for (with the extreme cases being 4 repeats of Muttas and up to 8 repeats of Kuang Shi).

Hence, if you go for multiplicity you compromise model quality, and while quantity is a quality I don't think that's a trade off most people who are fans of Infinity want to make.

Edit: Yes, I just used breast physics as justification for Infinity figurine quality. I feel dirtied by this fact.

BLOODGOD, ijw and cazboab like this.
  19. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not, the Stahldron is only in the Avatar Box. It's RAICHO PILOT and SCINDRON ANCILLARY REMOTE UNIT, what's more stupid in my opinion.

20. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

what are you trying to say about me and my body?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation