1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much Shock, do you face?

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by regelridderen, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

We have different definitions of "discount" skills then. Just a terminology difference in this case, we can ignore I think. The crux of our disagreement is elsewhere.

I don't see the difference in your two descriptions.

You are mixing up (built-in) disadvantages and counters. Counter is something that is (somewhat) actively used to moderate or nullify your advantage. This does not mean it can only be used during opponents active turn, or even that they need to turn it on (ex. Albedo), but it is something that negates or disadvantages the rule you are using.
    This is opposed to a disadvantage which is built into the rule itself.

Exactly (and this is our problem). And since NWI is priced the same now as it was in N2 when it's counter was exceedingly rare and game point costs overall shifted downwards, this tells me comparative power levels have not been maintained. The utility of NWI has been lessened, but it's price stayed the same.

2. regelridderen

regelridderen Dismember

Super. Thought so.

Well, it was you, who said, that the rule were injected to add fluff. My take though is, that the fluff is barely relevant in the actual design of the rules. The skill could be named 'yellow rubber duck' and have the same implications on the game, while messing massively with the fluff.

Again, a question of terminology : counter as in counterbalance. Whether internal or external it is simply a way to reduce cost/effectiveness of an ability, or a tool to encourage diversity in list building, so players can exploit these built in disadvantages.

As said earlier, I find little point in 'whining' over the points costs. It is in the end subjective – like some people finding posthumans balanced, while others see them as a box of freebies – and ultimately they're dictated by CB. You could just as well argue, that in N2 NWI was too powerful, effectively turning LI into HI without the disadvantages, and now it has been brought in line.

When posing the question, I was more interested in the prevalence of Shock ammunition, as although I encounter it regularly in my games, I do not find, that it invalidates NWI, only that it poses yet another tactical challenge from this game. Yet when reading this forum, you might get the notion, that no-one uses anything but Shock ammunition.

3. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

I give up. You win.

4. regelridderen

regelridderen Dismember

Yay! :D

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation