1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many side games can Infinity N4 survive?

Discussion in 'News' started by zapp, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

May I sig this?

2. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the game, but it sounds like players didn't like playing a competitive game that wasn't balanced.

Pierzasty and Mogra like this.
  3. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

The thing is there's no way to achieve perfect balance and customer base satisfaction level at the same time. Add maintaining sells to the equation and it becomes impossible. Anything SFG released was either OP or Trash from the get go. This is the mark of the world we live in. Internet, instant access to metagaming. From what I saw as a freshly interested outsider, and from what I got to know from very invested friends, SFG did a good job trying to maintain balance and keep new releases interesting enough to sell. It's just they grew tired AF by this. They chose an easy way out. Can't blame them.

4. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

The game had annual rebalancing. They updated the core rules and player stats yearly. Also, rules and player cards were available free on their website.

SFG didn’t intend for the game to be as cutthroat competitive as it became. They saw it, initially, as a game that you play while having beers with your buds. Competitive but also casual.

One of the things I think gets lost in minis gaming is that tournament play isn’t the only legitimate way to play. It’s okay to have units and models available that aren’t as good or efficient as other models. Or models that are extremely niche in application. Or models that are just fun.

5. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

And not always the effects the “brutally honest” claim they want…

6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

FYI GW has relaunched some seconday games (Necromunda, Adeptus Titanicus, Blood Bowl, Aeronautica Imperialis) and even has announced there is something in the pipeline for Fantasy. Milk all the cows!!!

LaughinGod likes this.
  7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I believe the "old world" fantasy game is going to be published through forgeworld, same as the current horus heresy game.

8. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Not if you wish to be taken seriously as the business person you claim to be, with the degree and all that.

Going for the “toxic fandom”-angle is hilariously bad optics and bad business practice.

If there’s negativity from your player base, you should assess the proportion of said player base, if it’s a constant flow from a substantial player base, your first task is to look inwards.

Anything else gives credence to Blizzard’s retarded move, where they actually made a post about them having a disgusting work environment was somehow the consequences of a “negative player base”.

Rizzy, eciu, RolandTHTG and 3 others like this.
  9. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

I'm not a business person or anything but some people just never have any positive to say. The reason, imho, that these official forums gets a bad rap, is because a handfull of users constant negativity. I swear there's not a ray of sunshine between the whole lot of 'em.

I'm sure CB sees the bigger picture tho.

10. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

11. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

I found this has been true since the dawn of miniature wargaming. There's a big difference between say the competitive environment of Twilight Imperium (a very crunchy board game) and 40K or Infinity. There is something that creates this kind of push-pull and raised voices when there's monthly new releases of new miniatures and rules.

Power creep and balance issues are real issues and everyone benefits from clear rules but often a small part of the community becomes very grating and obnoxious. Loosing track of the bigger picture and being very cut-throat.

The lates episode of the Wip 12 podcast discusses this exact problem (e18 Australian game state). An interesting listen and certainly a very different take than than many of the threads about N4 and the current issues with armies that you can read here.

#51 bladerunner_35, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    sackofowls and Dragonstriker like this.
  12. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

I recently left the games industry, which gives me a nice footing to talk about how counter-productively negative many so-called-fans are. (Also I've been a b-to-b sales guy for my career, and distributors definitely understand how toxic a lot of gamers are... so even if I were still in games, I wouldn't give a shit about talking about trolls and ever-grumblers).

Constant negativity erodes creators. Decent feedback conveys relevant information without resorting to emotional negativity, especially emotional negativity, and ESPECIALLY personal attacks on creators.

Pointing out toxic fandom is about as dangerous or controversial as mentioning that the sky is blue. Attempts to silence games businesspeople by claiming that their business wellbeing is at stake when they call out foolishness and selfishness... now THAT is hilarious. In a world where trolls are relentless and everpresent, standing up to them gets you a lot more business than it loses.

Strawman argument, and an obvious one. Games business people, or games fans, agreeing that many of our fellow nerds are fountains of constant negativity on the internet does not excuse being toxic oneself. Neither I nor anyone here said that.

You just tried to project some stupid stuff Blizzard said onto anyone who notices and remarks that forums like this one have a ridiculously out of balance amount of negativity, even forums for products from friendly and effective companies like CB. Ridiculous.

13. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

If you're an incompetent and out of touch business person, yes.

You say this a lot and at this point I'm beginning to suspect you don't know what that word means.

Speaking of projection... no I didn't... I said you're giving credence to the same principles, which you literally are.

eciu and Dragonstriker like this.
  14. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

Anyone else love those threads where you have to scroll back forever to find the last comment that was relevant to the post?

Yeah…. Me neither.

I say so long as CB can continue to release content that is profitable and keep up with the 6-8 releases of minis for N4/C1 every month, good on them.

I don’t know why I would be upset/concerned about side projects/games. In fact, if they aren’t releasing something new for N4, it gives me some time to get caught up on my painting backlog.

15. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Fixed that up for you. You’re welcome.

sackofowls, Cthulhu363, tox and 6 others like this.
  16. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

If they are that unhappy, you’re probably doing them a favor. Kind of like what my 112 does to my wounded dog warriors….

17. Ugin

Ugin Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The emergence of 'Toxic Fandom' is inevitable, and businesspeople should never just neglect those voices, but rather drink the bitter cup by assessing which is troll or not, and see if there's anything they could do to improve their business. It's an axiom that could never be refuted.

But nonetheless, let me risk myself by saying this: That fandom is nothing but a necessary evil. It's necessary because it contains constructive criticism, it's evil because it also has a considerable amount of potential of putting the discussants into a whirl of chaos.
    The fandom calling itself inevitable, sounds like Thanos calling himself "I'm Inevitable." The inevitability of saltiness doesn't necessarily ensures perpetuity/legitimacy of their behaviors.

This mundanity forcing us to choose to degrade and ridicule, rather than speak with logics and tidied emotions, makes me sad.

Speaking of the OP: I like the awesomeness of TAG RAID, but I would like to CB taking care of what they have left behind(i.e. Faction balance, intention of mechanisms, Fireteams). Infinity N4 had opened a Jar of Varieties, and we've experienced spectacular buffs and upgrades.

The surprise party was hella exciting, but I think it's time to clean up the floor, and prepare for the after-party.
    Rather than implementing and experimenting what Infinity could be, it's time to define what Infinity shouldn't be.

18. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Sure, or you can have actual moderation that shows such behavior won't be tolerated. A warning and then a 48h ban to cool down tends to work much better than a permaban out of the blue.

csjarrat, DukeofEarl, CAnon and 2 others like this.
  19. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

how many people do you think show up more than once a week 48-hour ban on this forum won't even be noticed and I'm personally against bans and pro-free speech even when people are negative or toxic they show some passion for the game the problem is when people stop caring.
    As for the main topic, the infinity universe could carry more games as long as CB takes their time and develops the games in question. Aristeia tourn out as an easily exploitable arena overwatch clone, which seems abandoned for now, Defiance is a decent dungeon craw that takes longer to paint the minis than finishing multiple campaigns(that one might be on my slow ass painting speed) XD, as for TAGraid I imagine Battletech in the infinity universe it tours out it would be Deep rock galactic XD

LaughinGod likes this.
  20. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

It's the principle of the thing. Even if a shitposter tries to post once on the weekend and gets blocked with a YOU ARE ON PROBATION message, and gets an email about the punishment, they know there are consequences, even if it's a slap on the wrist for now. And if that doesn't work, the next ban is two weeks.

Verbal warnings with nothing to back them up do not work because it communicates you have no power over the offender.
    Instant permabans can technically work, but 1. run the risk of creating a multiclass Shitposter/Avenger (which wastes your effort because you have to keep deleting alt accounts) and 2. others will see your MO is terror, and few people like the rule of fear on an internet forum about manbarbies. Cue user exodus.

Savnock likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation