1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How happy are you with the Uprising book?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by prophet of doom, Apr 30, 2018.

1. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I have realised that people have their problems with the new background development. But how happy are you with the book in general?

I have to say I am a bit disappointed. I preordered it without much thought, because I have become somewhat of an Infinity collector. I don't want to miss anything. I did not even look how much the book costs. So I was shocked when it was a whopping AU$85!

What do I get for my money apart from the Brawler mini? Some new pics of models I have already seen, a few new artworks, and a lot of background text. When it comes to rules, I get Updates of old missions and missions that I can download for free. For new army profiles I am referred to the download section, the sectorial availabilities are in there, but could also be found on the internet.

Ok, I get it, there is little point in printing profiles, since they are subject to change.

Wouldn't it have been fairer to print the mission found in the Treason pack instead of the old Dire Foes missions? This way I would have gotten at least some new game material out of the new book. This way, it is just a lot of background and disappointingly few new pretty pictures.

2. regelridderen

regelridderen Dismember

That’s what you get for buying books. The background fluff, everything else is/will be freely available.

3. prophet of doom

Fair call. This has always been that way, which is a good thing. I like that CB is able to update rules and profiles instantly without having to wait for another book release until necessary changes can be made. However, I am an old fart, so I like to be able to look things up in books as well.

My main point is that I would have preferred to get the missions from the Treason pack or something else in instead of the Dire Missions where they had to invent something to make it relate to the Uprising.

regelridderen likes this.
  4. Antares

Antares Well-Known Member

I agree they should've probably added the new Missions, but in the end the books are all about fluff. That's what I paid for and that's what I got + a cool mini that I enjoy. Not sure about the price you paid though. I paid ~35€ which is about the price of a starter box (about 42$ maybe?).

Edit: just saw you were talking about AU $ so that makes about 50€. Still way more than what I paid :/

Gesendet von meinem SM-J500FN mit Tapatalk

5. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the uprising book and look forward to playing through the dire foes missions with a friend. Having the treason missions would have been good and also the outrage missions as well.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  6. LunarSol

LunarSol Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, gaming books are rapidly losing relevance with the games as a whole being better off for it.

Nemo No Name and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  7. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

At $85 AUD you are paying waaaaay too much for that. Its $65 NZD currently, and we're normally paying through the nose to get goodies down here.

at around 45-50 dollaroonies. its pretty steep for what it is, but the artwork is gorgeous and I actually really enjoyed having all the dire foes story in one place. I found the uprising, once the emotions of it fade has a lot of interesting bits of information in it. The invincible army sounds badass.

8. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Out of curiosity, why was it $85AU? Toy Soldier has it listed for $58.

inane.imp and chromedog like this.
  9. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

The Combat Company currently has it for AU$52; I cannot remember if that was the price I paid on pre-order or not.

I was fairly disappointed with the book. I did not hate it, but I did not love it as much as the N3 or HSN3 fluff books. I felt some of the formatting and organisation was poor. I thought the Dire Foes reprint was the most interesting part of the fluff, followed by StarCo and Ikari, with JSA/Uprising and Druze fairly boring. I believe most (if not all) of the art was just reprints, so I did not even have anything to get excited about there.

10. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I don't know where you got your copy, but mine cost me $67 ($66 and change from TSI) with shipping (ALL I got from the release is the book/miniature, since I already have about 1000pts of jsa).

For this, I got some new info about JSA and the merc companies.
    The dire foe missions/fluff I already had as pdfs (since I got the original downloads, not the later abridged versions) but I get them in hadcopy this time.
    (And Angus is STILL a dick.)

Fluff I disagree with goes into the Adam Savage folder ("I reject their authority and substitute my own") - regardless of the game. It's fluff, not gospel (and even if it was, I'm not a cultist, so gospels get ignored anyway).

I'll give it a thorough read later. As it is, it's something else to belt recalcitrant players with during game arguments. So value enough.

#10 chromedog, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Barrogh and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  11. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Was it not made clear what the book contained?

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  12. prophet of doom

Whaat?!? Combat Company had it for $52, and the game store charged me $82?! That is pretty steep. I want to buy things at the places I play, but that difference is a bit outrageous. I was not aware of it. I was expecting to pay a bit more than the 35 Euros they charge in the EU, but not that much.

The formatting is sometimes a little bit misleading, but it is ok. There could be more new artwork.

13. prophet of doom

Maybe it is me who is stupid, but no. I watched the relevant BoW week, and had the impression that it would also have troop profiles and maybe new missions. I understand that printing the troop profiles is probably futile, but I like to have them in print. I think I would be less disappointed if I had paid less.

14. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I don't like preorder rewards because it encourages people to risk buying something before all the information like reviews is available.

redeemer, Zewrath, Shoitaan and 7 others like this.
  15. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Nope. I was hoping for something other than what has been spoiled.

I'm freaking pissed that I still don't have a shipping notice for my book.

16. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

At this point we have to assume your posts have put you on a list and that CB has sent a Hexa/Fiday to make sure your book never arrives.

Section9 and loricus like this.
  17. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Go to TSI (Toy Soldier Imports) they support pretty much everything down in Oz

Shoitaan, chromedog and loricus like this.
  18. Shoitaan

Shoitaan Well-Known Member

The book was skinnier than I was expecting. The layout is a bit odd as others have said but I'm generally happy with it. I was secretly hoping for allusions to future NA2 armies though in some 'overall' fluff about merc companies and the like. But I guess the book is called "uprising" and not "NA2" so it focused on the split of NA2.

But maybe that was the problem. It was a book about NA2 but the focus of the marketing and the presentation was about the JSA. Either make the book hardcore about the uprising or hardcore about the NA2? I dunno. Just nitpicking. Looking forward to going through the fluff.

(Pleasantly) surprised to see it hardcover.

Abrilete likes this.
  19. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

This. And the package they put together with a Knights of Dice case and some free random tokens was pretty cool as well. Honestly really happy I picked it up: book was a little 'meh' though. I basically only read the StarCo fluff and have ignored the rest so far.

oldGregg likes this.
  20. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Worse, apparently the books are held up in US Customs, so I don't think anyone who has bought through Warstore has their stuff yet!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation