1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we fight links now?

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Natsymir, Sep 30, 2020.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

If the setup looks really dire, you could consider risking the infiltration roll to get the Fiday past the blockers to the sniper. I don't like to let so much ride on a roll with a 25% failure rate, but if that's looking like the only option, I mean, 75% odds aren't terrible.

Sojourne and Xeurian like this.
  2. Natsymir

Natsymir Well-Known Member

oh, yeah, Knauf is like the Lasiq on crack! How could I miss his profile. He'd get very favorable matchups against Nyokas, at least.

You're right about the board too, I think it was too open. I'll take it up with my opponent the next time. And yeah, I do think I was quite unlucky.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  3. Natsymir

No, because I chose to go first. I had to, because the Starmada list has effective 13 orders in a single group due to Hector lieutenant and Zeta NCO, so it would utterly massacre me if it got to go first. That means I had to deploy my Fiday before his last two units (because Hector's got strategos). Had I deployed next to the link, like to try and murder Parvati, my opponent would just have put Hector there, as Hector would make short work of any Fiday.

Edit: Though sure, I could have tried it anyway, as a kamikaze move. But I stand little chance of managing to one-shot Parvati with a Fiday, as she has 2 wounds.

4. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

This sounds a lot like a table design issue. I firmly believe sniper towers with too much vision are going to be the absolute bane of N4 - its far too easy to get locked down with some poor dice and you can't even hope on a crit to push through for you.

You need to focus on building a balanced board. Some long lanes are good, but a very powerful position should have some obvious blindspots that the player must also defend - either by exposing other members of the link, or using other parts of their army. If a full link can be self sufficient in both covering large swathes of the board, and covering their own flanks, its only a matter of time before you have a REALLY bad time on that board.

You could look at coordinated orders with B1 weapons if there is a single powerful ARO piece out. Although, with ARM and crits the way they are, BS11 can leave you pretty exposed if dice are particularly unkind.

ijw and Natsymir like this.
  5. Natsymir

Tell me about it...I once tried to ARO an Epsilon with 2 Daylamis -AND- a Tuareg sniper...of course she still came out of it all unscathed...

And yes, you're right about the board. Next time we play, I'll take a closer look at the table before and perhaps ask my opponent to change the terrain a bit.

6. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

This.

Hector being there is likely to mean you don’t get a second chance, but against a Fireteam you probably wouldn’t get a second chance anyway.

Also, try taking Al Djabel or one of the Fridays with DA CCW, they should have reasonable odds of doing 2W to Parvati.

Natsymir likes this.
  7. Natsymir

Hmm...I don't know. Fidays wouldn't get Surprise Attack, due to the link powers. Al-Djabel would have to roll against Parvatis BTS of 6, so though his damage would be 16, she'd only have to roll 11+ once to survive. The DA Fiday would actually do better in this scenario, provided he wins the FTF, with two rolls of damage 14 against Parvati's ARM 2 - but still, she would only have to roll 13 once to survive. I could consider sacrificing a Fiday for those odds though, it might be worth it - Parvati is insanely valuable to my opponent in this scenario. Killing her would be a devastating blow. Were it not for Parvati, I would have won several of the matches I've lost against this opponent. If my opponent tries to counter-deploy with Hector, it could also force him to deploy Hector in a less optimal position than would otherwise be the case.

8. QueensGambit

The DA Fiday is only 44% to do 2 wounds to Parvati in one hit. Plus there's the 75% to land him next to her in the first place.

Mr. Grabby is even worse thanks to Parvati's BTS 6 - only 32% to do two wounds.

My inclination would be to put the Fiday somewhere he can try to land smoke and then pick off multiple link members, rather than suiciding him. But I haven't seen the table and don't want to start armchair quarterbacking! I can't say whether the Fiday had a realistic approach in this particular game.

9. ijw

Don’t forget that a Crit means an extra Saving Roll, and they’re both on 35% to Crit.

10. QueensGambit

Yup, those numbers take crits into account. DA Fiday is 82.36% to do 1+ wounds, 43.51% to do 2+, and 7.18% to do 3.

11. QueensGambit

Fidays have never been good at efficiently murdering multi-wound models. In N3, Djabel was just the ticket due to inflicting four saves even without a crit. In N4, he's in the same category as a DA Fiday (setting aside the acid bullets he's going to get soon :-)

12. ijw

I replied before your post appeared, thanks for the actual figures!

And that’s the kind of percentages I was thinking of, for ‘reasonable odds’ of taking down such a crucial part of the force.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  13. Natsymir

Of course, an alternative approach would be to try and do the same, but go for one of the Nyokas. The Fiday has better chance than against Parvati to succeed in dealing both one and two wounds (because Nyokas have ARM 1), provided he manages to deploy next to them, and that would rob the link of its +3 BS bonus for the remainder of their round, until Parvati can heal the Nyoka back up again. That would give my long-range pieces much better odds against the rest of the link for the 6-7 orders they might now have left in their first round. However, I don't know the math of the FtF roll - Nyokas have a much better CC stat than Parvati.

14. QueensGambit

That might come down to subjective feelings on risk weighing. I'd be happy to take those odds, if I had a good way to do a second wound to her. But I wouldn't spend a Fiday on a 44% chance by itself, unless the 82% chance to do one wound was also going to accomplish something.

Or, get multiple link members under a double shotgun template. If we're suiciding the Fiday anyway, the shotgun may do more damage than a cc attack. A Nyoka isn't likely to survive two shotgun hits. Plus it's likely fewer orders to get the Fiday into position. Leaving you with more orders to gun down any remaining Nyokas now that the link bonuses are reduced.

Natsymir likes this.
  15. Natsymir

The whole idea here was to deploy right in the middle of them, so any attack I do only costs one order, but is almost guaranteed to be a kamikaze. For three games now, trying to approach that link in a more stealthy way with the Fiday have been an exercise in futility. That being said, the shotgun could definitely be an option too in this scenario. Neither Parvati nor Nyokas are great at dodging. Perhaps shotgun suicide with a Fiday might actually be a viable tactic against links...I dunno. It definitely could have won me the last game...but the risk of them passing a dodge is above 50%, and the Fiday would be shot by both Hector and the Zeta...

#35 Natsymir, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  16. QueensGambit

And Sixth Sense no longer permits Delay, which I'm still getting used to. So you can move into B2B with one of them, and see how the fireteam reacts before you decide whether to CC or template. If they all dodge, you get a free CC. If only some of them dodge, they lose their link bonuses and you might template the ones who didn't dodge. If none of them dodge.... SHOTGUN

inane.imp, toadchild and Natsymir like this.
  17. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

Hector wasn't in the link right? perhaps you could deploy the Fiday a bit further from the link, to lure Hector counterdeploying and walking away with the impersonation, going for the link.

Vs the Nioka, maybe you could place a mine with LoF to the Nioka and shoot it with another longe-range weapon, or with the Fiday, that way you could score at least 1 hit. well, other way would be dropping a Ragik and hunt the weakest man... we do have some possibilities =)

Natsymir likes this.
  18. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

Actually, the link loses their bonuses only after the order

19. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Actually ( ;) ), the "Trooper stops being part of the Fireteam the moment the Order or ARO is declared" and "Consequently,... In the Reactive Turn, that Trooper is not is not [sic] able to benefit from the advantages of being in a Fireteam."

So they can't benefit from their link bonuses during that Order.

Barrogh and QueensGambit like this.
  20. ijw

Hmm. If both the Nyoka are on ARO duty, and therefore visible to your DZ, how about a Coordinated Order with long range units and the Fiday?

Also, if all this is happening on a tall enough rooftop to see most of the table, where is the Zeta for it to be able to ARO against the Fiday in the first turn?

theGricks and Natsymir like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation