1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holoprojector and hacking

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by adamljung, Feb 23, 2019.

1. adamljung

adamljung Active Member

Hey, quick question regarding holoprojector - let's say I have a kanren holoprojectoed as a random HI model and a hacker moves into mutual hacking distance on their second short skill, and spends another order and does a hacking program targeting my kanren? I see that the wiki says "
    However, in Holoprojector L1 state the Hackable Characteristic is considered Open Information when the trooper is inside the Hacking Area of an enemy."
    But what exactly does hackable characteristic mean? For example, what if my opponent used a hacking program that only works against HI models, could I then ARO and not be affected by his hacking attempt? Or how does it work exactly?
    I understand that if he hacks on his second short skill I'd need to aro first thus giving my true identity up but this is more about those circumstances where they wanted to use a hacking program as their first short skill.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It's a bit of an unsolved issue, especially considering that Hackers don't technically have the Hackable characteristic.

The most likely answer is that you have to respect the Hacking Device rrule and reveal hacking programs. However, each Echo of the Kanren would yield the same hacking information as the real soldier, so you've get that shell game going.

3. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Holoprojector L2 and Hacking. Hackable Characteristic Example:
    The perfidious Interventor Morgana gets an ARO when an Order Sergeant model enters her Zone of Control. Morgana asks if that trooper has the Hackable Characteristic, and surprisingly she gets a "yes" as reply. With evil satisfaction, the Interventor declares a Hacking ARO against that model. Morgana succeeds at the roll only to realize much to her chagrin that it was just a Holoecho and not a real trooper. However, now she knows some of the other Order Sergeants are a Holy Sepulchre Knight bearing a Holoprojector L2. The game has just started.

From the wiki examples.

This clearly indicates that the hacking device does not auto-resolve valid targets much less down to individual types.

One day Corvus will either 1) Tell us, 2) Realize we are dumb and it needs to be explained. ;)

Mahtamori likes this.
  4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Or too smart for our own good. Hackable characteristic means it's a TAG, HI or REM (and Hackable Order Sergeant means it's absolutely a Sepulchre who can't be a Hacker themselves), so unfortunately that example doesn't tell us more than that we have to reveal something...

5. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The horrible thing about that example is that it's the same sort of mistake that they made with the Engage example (choosing a trooper with Hyperdynamics, and then not including the Hyperdynamics effect).

What's wrong with the example:
    1. If that Order Sergeant was a Holoecho, then it should have activated with the other Holoechoes for that Holy Sepulchre Knight. And because of that, there'd be a Holoprojector L2 marker being used to identify that "Hello, of these three troopers, two of them are fake and one of them is the only troop profile this faction has with this skill."
    2. The reason why Morgana knows its a Holy Sepulchre Knight is that's the only PanO profile with a holoprojector. In comparison, Haqqislam has 3 LI with L1 (Hackable characteristic of 'No'), 1 HI with L2 (Hackable characteristic of Yes), and Yasbir who can have either level.

Because the only way the Interventor Morgana example works even remotely plausibly is if the Interventor activates, gets within range of the Order Sergeant, and then asks "What's that dude's Hackable characteristic?" The bad-example Order Sergeant then decides not to bother with an ARO, and the Interventor declares the hacking. (Because for the Order Sergeant to enter the Interventor's ZoC, the Interventor has to enter the Order Sergeant's ZoC and provoke ARO.)

A slightly better example is if the Nomad player drops a repeater down near the Order Sergeant. The Nomad player asks about the Hackable characteristic and gets told "Yes." So they activate the Interventor, hack away, and now there's two other imposters to find. And this example still only works if it's the first turn and the Nomads are going first.

toadchild likes this.
  6. JoKeR

JoKeR HAWZA Instructor
    Warcor

amendment
    one Li with L1 (Hawza) & one Li with L2 (BashiBazouk), one Hi with L2 (Ayyar).
    This help us play realy cuning mind games with opponent

[​IMG]

& of course Yasbir, but he is realy tought to use well in current state. (but when enemy Sphinx realise he got engage by Yasbir instead of find out Saladin - it was best moment of the game)

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation