1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden Deployment LT and Aro Declaration

Discussion in 'Rules' started by MrAnarchy, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'am a little late here in the discussion, but I think this situation is only a "thing" in the "english rulebook", of course I have no idea if the "wording" is right in english or spanish.

The problem it is here:

"The ARO declarations of the Reactive Player’s Troopers are considered valid in the
    following situations "

Page 21 of the english rulebook. This line can be "interpretated" in a way which allows "ilegal ARO". But in spanish the words aren`t a perfect match.

In english version "the rules talk" about legal ARO, so I can declare an ARO, that not fullfil the ARO requisites and when it will be check in the "orders steps resolution" find that it becomes an ilegal ARO.

In spanish:

"Una Tropa del Jugador Reactivo tendrá derecho a declarar una ORA si cumple alguno de
    los siguientes caso "

The wording say "you have the right to declare ARO in this cases:"

So, in Spanish the line to "missinterpretation" or "exploit" is lower.

Because I use more the spanish rules (i read both at least once) I didn't understand how this hidden deploymen Lt and ilegal ARO happends, but now, after a quick re-read of the english version I can understand why and what.

I hope someon from CB Staff clarifies this question asap, because it is a problem and a heavy confrontation of "RAW vs RAI". At least is what I think about it.

Best regards.

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

You are indeed late to the discussion - the discussion began with CB staff (ijw) clarifying it.

Urobros likes this.
  3. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Unfortunately there was an editing mistake in the Spanish N4 file, which used the N3 text instead of the updated version from CodeOne, which says:
    La declaración de ORA de las Tropas del Jugador Reactivo se considerará válida en los siguientes casos:​

My emphasis. So in this case it's the Spanish N4 text that is wrong.

inane.imp and Urobros like this.
  4. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I'am really surprised by this resolution and rule intended, but if it is legal, I have nothing more to say. Thanks for your quick answer @ijw and too @QueensGambit

5. System_Override

I understand the irritation, but couldn't we basically achieve the same result ( pop the LT out of camo) by just usig a "Look Out!" ?

A hidden deployment trooper is not a model or marker, but I reckon still a trooper.

6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

That was always my understanding too.

7. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

You could, but look out requires some other trooper to have LOF for an ARO to trigger which isn't a reliable trigger so this wasn't a popular idea, and also has the result of that trooper gets shot in the face for free so people didn't really get mad about it because there was a bit more of a trade involved.

Plus it was way less reliable rather than just declaring an ARO dodge that both players know is the range on is totally full of crap on a late order in the turn. Doesn't even need to be the last one if you think your opponent is gonna try and sacrifice their final order to try and LoL you, just do it on the 2nd or 3rd last order it'll probably be safe enough against most opponents to pop the HD LT out. Very unlikely they have enough orders to do anything about it.

8. System_Override

Fair point.

It surely is way more convenient, no doubt. Personally I would love to do the order sacrificing bit if it were one of my friends. xD

I understand that people are't too happy, but I believe Infinity has become such a complex system that it i nearly impossible to make it compeltely watertight without resorting to all kinds of exceptions and extra rules that make it unnecessarily complicated.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation