1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with alephe steel phalanx

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by wartorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. wartorn

wartorn New Member

ok today i played a game vrs the alephe steel phalanx box OMG i got destroyed ODD is insane grant it I was playing a new tungusta list. Now i am very new to the game and even newer to posting forums we have played 200 point games alot never against Aleph and definitly i have never seen ODD in earlier games. were do igo what do i do to combat this. truly a tungusta Nomad noob

2. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Templates and mines do well. As usual shoot on your active turn and try to get guys out of cover. If they're in cover and linked you need some way of improving your odds, like a Fireteam and/or getting them out of their range. What you really don't want is 2 to 3 Burst with a BS disadvantage.

3. helsbecter

helsbecter Ultrademocratic subSenator, #dominion Module

Riot Grrls wreck ODD units. They are strong against anything Steel Phalanx can throw at them. I'd recommend the spitfire to exterminate Myrmidons.

4. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Tunguska :p

5. Civilized Barbarian

Civilized Barbarian Praxis' Lead R&D Janitor

A couple ideas (assuming Tunguska only):

Put a Grenzer or two into a Securitate link and go hunting. The MSV1 equipment will get rid of the ODD defense, and some of the profiles have flamethrowers (template weapons) so you can entirely ignore rolling if you get too close. It'll be a big obvious assassination target for your opponent though.

Suicidal Zondnautica or Hollow Man to close the distance quickly and put a template weapon into the fireteam. Use the Speed/smoke/superjump to come at them from a weird direction. Tunguska lacks the typical Nomad board control that would handle this problem so you'll need to get aggressive and hope for the best.

Template weapons in general really, just like dealing with any other fireteam. Shame we don't have any grenades/grenade launchers.

We've got more than enough hacker and pitcher support, if you know you'll be fighting this army again you could try bringing a Vertigo Zond and targeting the opponent with the Spotlight hacking program. This would let you launch missiles at them without line of sight so I think this would ignore ODD? This tactic can be a pretty big order sink though.

Or try Corregidor and introduce them to our airborne deployment flamethrowers and McMurrough (my usual solution)

6. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Phalanx really sucks at assassination however, so I'm not too worried about that. 12 BS AD can't reliably beat links.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

just some bits:

SP doesnt' have any ODD model with climbing+ or superjump - so try to deploy higher.

DTW (especially flamers), but this was already mentioned couple of times, and it's not big deal for most of myrmidons+ to dodge them, especially if you are in 4" then engage and ruin your day.

in active turn, uberfallcomando is the tool how to beat even Achiles in CC

Achiles, Ajax, Hektor (Every SP player plays at least one of these guys) are HI and SP doesn't have much protection against hacking.

Brandon, or Bandits have some chance in CC if you manage to surprise with them (-6 MOD for surprise).

Intruder (ideally HMG) for active turn hunting and finishing in suppression on some nice roof can lock them also nicely

8. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

3" :p

9. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Step 1: Isolate enemy leaders (Machaon, then Phoenix, then...) and Achilles. This will both break the links and hopefully throw them into LoL
    • Tools: Heckler Jammer (comes with Fastpanda!) and Interventor (White Noise & Oblivion FTW!)
    Step 2: Costly advance. Mines are your friend!
    Step 3: shock ammo, specially on templates: only Achilles, Hector and Ajax are shock inmunne.
    Step 4: Assymetrical exchange of troops. Steel Phalanx prefers to go Limited Insertion, and plays bad at the reactive turn. Try to go first, and sacrifice cheap troopers to break the enemy. Remember, special dodge with Smoke grenades is a BS attack, so...
    Sadly, unless you play with the Soldiers of fortune extra, Tunguska has no sacrifiable troops.
    The Lunokhod is a good defensive option: template weapon, crazykoalas, and BSG, plus Marksmanship enhance-able

To be sincere, the best counters to Steel Phalanx are in Vanilla nomads: Morlocks, Jaguars, Lizard (speculative fire grenades), minelaying Zeroes, the Chimera, the Intruder (only MSV2 on Nomads), etc...

Civilized Barbarian likes this.
  10. schlafen

schlafen New Member

An army full of ODD can be really annoying!

Totally agree to that. I love the grenzer Multisniper! As long he is in 5 man link he can be a really devastating tool (Don't leave him out in the open in the first turn. Use it as an active turn killer and as ARO piece later in the game.)

On the other hand Raoul Spector (AD version) may be a very useful tool. He comes with a boarding shotgun which is very dangerous to links (giving you +6 at close range and a template to hit the other members.). Equipped with drop bears he is able to throw mines, which should really be a pain for thouse ODD-guys. Just would let him enter the board from the side (no dice rolling) if possible.

Good luck buddy!

loricus likes this.
  11. TaHu

TaHu Well-Known Member

Try to build good repeater network.
    There are some really bad match ups, just focus on the mission, not killing. Nomads are quite good at it.
    Try to set up as many as possible AROs around consoles. Tunguska is one of the most mobile armies, so you should have no problems with it.
    Boarding shotguns will get you to the basic BS which is nice. Grenzer in fireteam will also ignore ODD.

12. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Mines, Morlocks, Intruders, Morans, they'll deal with the ODD. For the non-ODD, Tsyklon upgraded with MML2 for shock ammo is good as it puts them right down, Krizas reduce their firepower effectiveness, Heckler jammer is a pain against anyone!

13. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Zondmates because of the chain rifle, stemplers for triangulate fire/satlock for the targeted state, shotguns, the heckler is an amazing tool the Emarat will ruin a link (also Emaulers) same goes for hiding the jammer heckler in full cover and just jamming everyone in range, hackers for the HI like Hector, can even turn off atalanta's spotbot. well placed spector drop. any form of speculative fire you're taking a -6 anyway may as well make it one where they don't have any lethal responses. marksman ship on a lunokhod.

I'm reasonably sure that is most of the answers in TJC for ODD spam.

14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Kill it with fire! Szalamandra is your friend, as is Lunokhod. Grenzers may be helpful, too.

MindwormGames likes this.
  15. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

Kill it with fire!

Edit: It’s duplicative, and not always the best option, but also fun to say.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation