1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you been playing Infinity?

Discussion in 'News' started by Triumph, Jan 27, 2021.

?

Have you played Infinity regularly since N4 dropped? At least 1 game every fortnight

1. Yes. In person only

16.4%
  2. Yes. Table Top Simulator or some other online form

11.9%
  3. Yes. A mix of in person and online

16.4%
  4. No. I have been social distancing because of Covid

33.6%
  5. No. I wanted to but personal circumstances (besides Covid) have been getting in the way

8.2%
  6. No. I don't normally play that frequently regardless of a pandemic

13.4%
  1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I did in-person socially-distance play some people that I was teaching the game to so the entire experience hasn't been solo, but that's obviously not the same as playing against a fluent opponent who knows the game well. That said, I do think I am more solo-happy than most. Had a group of people that I played Star Wars: Armada with back in the day (pre-pandemic) but I actually had a huge amount of fun solo-ing the game as well (it works particularly well for that game because there is very little hidden information). I've given TTS a try for Infinity, Armada, and Kill Team and found it to be majorly clunky (and yes, I've watched all the vids, and tried the quality of life tools and mods, and I still find it to be exhausting to use). I'm okay with TTS for boardgames if necessary (and have even done some game design testing with it) but I just can't with miniatures games on it - it's just not well-designed for that use case IMHO.

I will say that anyone who is not certain about playing N4 on the table against yourself, do give it a try. Probably won't improve your strategy, but you might be surprised at how much you enjoy it. It won't work quite so well for hidden deployment/decoy type armies, though I have experimented with leveraging some techniques I learned from solo hex/counter war-games to create uncertainty and allow me to play as if I don't know where my opponent's figures are. Also obviously useless when it comes to army list mind games, delayed deployment via Parachutist/Combat Drop, Holomask, and other stuff. But at this stage, without extensive faction knowledge, getting the experience of playing two different armies at once and going blow-by-blow has actually been very edifying.

2. breaker_breaker

breaker_breaker New Member

I've only managed to play via TTS. The one place in town where people would normally go to play isn't letting any games happen.

3. Sora9785

Sora9785 Well-Known Member

I played about 6 games of N4 and dont like the new version. To be fair I lost interest about the time Varuna dropped because of the point craziness and submachine gun point exploit by CB.

N4 went towards waaaaaay more shooting. The ubiquitar availability of linkable MSV2, the flexibility of links making Infinity a game kind of like 40k where the first player nearly always wins.

The new crit mechanic is good though.

I think I will not play Infinity in the near future and will probably look into Infinity if N5 will drop.

4. SerPorter

SerPorter Member

a game once in a Month with a Friend

5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Then your vote shouldn't be for the first option, or any of the yes options at all. You haven't answered the question correctly.

"Have you played Infinity regularly since N4 dropped? At least 1 game every fortnight"

Bolded part for emphasis. Your vote should be one of the "no" options, whichever one best describes your circumstances.

6. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Well, I guess the term "fortnight" is less obvious for non-native English speakers than you intended.
    I had to google it.

chromedog, toadchild and Lawson like this.
  7. Triumph

That's a good point.

8. Lareon

Lareon Well-Known well-knower

Basically nothing since the Covid Nation attacked. I did 4 games in N4, the first in person (between a lockdown and another), the other three via TTS.

9. bkromray

bkromray Active Member

0 N4 games, along with little interest in discussions due to the lack of changes in Aleph. N4 felt kind of like getting nothing for Christmas as a child and having to see everyone with their new toys while you didn't even get socks.

10. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Bruh, the Immunity (Shock) on all the Steel Phalanx characters is a gamechanger. Also Scylla is bonkers now.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  11. bkromray

bkromray Active Member

I am not saying they are bad, I am saying that N4 came and my lists did not change at all. That's boring, I was hopeful for a shake up.

12. Triumph

So have you not tried the new Andromeda? Or what about your brand new linkable engineers and doctors?

Savnock likes this.
  13. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Or 15 bs msv2 marksmanship total reaction multi sniper rifle? Or evo hacker with trinity and old tinbot -3 hacking?

14. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

I've played about every 1.5 weeks. TTS has been great for getting a new friend into my (previously) 2 person micro-meta. My current ambition is to finish painting my Onyx so I can convert them to TTS figures! PXL_20210125_071010810.PORTRAIT.jpg

I actually prefer playing on TTS, and will likely continue to do so after the pandemic (vs. rushing back to a physical table).

#34 bloodw4ke, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Abrilete likes this.
  15. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Have played 2 games of N4 since it dropped. Being a full-time carer for one, then two people sucked a lot of time out of my gaming (especially the dramas with the 2nd one).
    I can't do TTS. It just looks and more importantly, FEELS "wrong" to me. I'm a miniatures gamer because of the models (miniatures AND terrain), not because the game exists. TTS just has conflicting visuals for me (the pseudo 3d "table" and the "unit" graphics don't line up for me, the angles don't work. And a top-down flat 2d is worse. It's playing RTS, and I find them tedious at the best of times.
    Now if it was a 3d oculus style thing, I could get behind that, my eyes and brain have no issues there. It's representing it on a 2d screen that throws me.

Dragonstriker and Lawson like this.
  16. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

This may or may not help, but for those who don't know it's worth mentioning that there are now proper 3D models in TTS. The old units that were just a flat image stood up on a base were terrible. The 3D models are vastly better.

Enough players have made their 3D scanned models available that there's a good selection for every faction. (You can also 3D scan your own models, but that will have more appeal for people who are already using TTS regularly.)

Quite a bit of Infinity branded terrain has also been 3D scanned, for that matter. Although terrain is one of the few areas where TTS can actually be better than real life, people have done some cool things with virtual terrain that couldn't be done in meatspace.

Savnock, Xeurian and bloodw4ke like this.
  17. bkromray

bkromray Active Member

New? She didn't really change guard did. She is powerful but she is just a slightly better version of herself. She is in the lists I would take her in, but didn't break into something I would always take. The S4 is really hard to hide if you are not going first. Also if you are talking about Parvati she doesn't really fit into ALEPH at all in my opinion as there are post humans in vanilla and OSS that do what she does for cheaper and putting her in a fire team reduces her board coverage by far too much.
    Atlanta is fine as well, I wont ever take the TR one but that is just personal preference due to awful dice rolling. The evo hacker is not something I would bring either unless I was playing vanilla. She doesn't interest me much in SP.

Teslarod likes this.
  18. Triumph

Parvati (and Trisha) opens up linkable engineers and doctors for OSS, that's a game changer. You don't need huge coverage on these support pieces when their main job is following stuff like the Asura and Rudras and keeping them functional while also pressing buttons for them. Guard is a huge change for Andromeda, she can start right near problematic ARO pieces and have her cat smack them off the table with D-Charges. Before she was limited to attempting to gunfight them which did not produce great odds. Run the odds for trying to firefight a Kamau with ASS versus having the option to Superior Infiltrate and smack it off the table.

Ekdromoi want an EVO for ASS and Scylla is a really good option. Dropping 20pt highly destructive chain rifle toting loons into your opponent's DZ on 16s is a scary option to present.

Savnock likes this.
  19. bkromray

bkromray Active Member

I don't run Asura or Rudra. Andromeda is great but she isn't my cup of tea in every list. She was already something I already took once in a while and that is where she still is.

#39 bkromray, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  20. Triumph

Well it's kinda odd to be complaining about your lists not getting shaken up when you're straight up refusing to use new models, fireteams, and revamped profiles in your lists.

Just throwing that out there.

Savnock, Hecaton and Dragonstriker like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation