1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hassassin Theorycrafting

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by QueensGambit, Sep 27, 2020.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

@theGricks ! Now it's a proper Hassassin theory thread.

Very interesting idea to split your regular orders into two active groups. I'm curious to hear how it plays on the table (maybe you could play some games on Tabletop Simulator just to indulge my curiousity :-).

I'd like to think more about the list archetype with two active groups. By "active group," I mean that you plan to spend the group's regular orders on attack pieces, and you've put enough regular orders in the group to mount an effective attack. The more common archetype has one active group with 10 regular orders and strong attack pieces. The second group is AROs and support troops like doctors and minelayers, and often has irregular orders.

The lists that I've seen that use two active combat groups tend to have 15 regular orders, split 8/7, with strong attack pieces in both groups. The advantage is that you get a full 5 extra orders to spend on attack pieces. The downside is that you can't spend more than 8 orders on a single attack piece.

Your list here is interesting. You've got two active groups, but only 12 useable regular orders. So by splitting your groups, you've only gained 2 attack piece orders, rather than the 5-order gain of other split-group lists. (I'm not counting the NCO and tac awareness orders, since those would be available whether or not you split your groups).

Is it worth splitting your groups for only a 2-order gain? What are your thoughts?

Urobros likes this.
  2. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

Thats a great question and one I am still pondering. In Ramah I did a 8regular/6regular set up between Group 1 and 2. Both groups had a attack pieces (the 6 order group had Muhktar Haris), and it worked very well. I think this would simply need testing more than anything. There is a concern if orders are docced in group 1 that will leave only 6 regular orders for the Fidays. Granted you can convert the Irregular orders, but you are handicapped.

QueensGambit likes this.
  3. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

I love it! Could i "steal" your list to test it myself? :D

4. theGricks

Please do, I am stuck in quarantine! I would love to hear how it works!

HardDisk and Urobros like this.
  5. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I really like it. It is not a list I would build, but you gave me some ideas. I hope you can try it soon, and please, guys who stole @theGricks list, report us how well it works :D please!!!

HardDisk and theGricks like this.
  6. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

Not sure when i'll try it, but i'll report back! =D

Urobros and theGricks like this.
  7. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Bah, looks like ARMY is still eating my lists.

gZIQaGFzc2Fzc2luLWJhaHJhbQNIQiCBLAIBCgCBSQEKAACBSAEEAACBRwEFAACBUQEBAACBUQECAACBLQEIAACBMAECAACDUQEBAACBOAEDAACBTAEBAAIFAIYJAQMAAIFDAQYAAIFDAQYAAIFUAQMAAIE+AQEA

upload_2020-10-17_17-50-27.png

Theres some flexibility in how to construct links here, in that you can make a five man core if you like. But generally the idea is an Asawira+Lasiq duo for combat + scoring, then a Muyib + Barid + Ghulam small core that can optionally bring the other Barid - I think I prefer keeping him at the back. Then there is Govad + Leila Sharif, another gun and scoring combo that works in a different fashion to the first duo.

All of those small links are strong enough on the offensive that they do not strictly need the burst bonus, though the Muyib in particular will struggle with strong defense - I chose him as a decent gun that brings an order for scoring points.

The list can also attack from other angles using the obligatory Fiday or even the Farzan, though his loss will make the Asawira a little risky to use.

Defensively, you can form a large core to get +3 BS on Leila or the Muyib, but honestly not sure its needed. I prefer to rely on the Daylami, Mutt and Nadhir for that. If you were strongly inclined to the extra defense, swapping the Muyib for the HRL Muyib would give you a better ARO game and free up points, at the cost of the pointman for that team losing some burst.

Urobros likes this.
  8. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

Hassasin isn't Winterforce (right now maybe it will be the king talking to flexible fireteams composition) but it can deploy a lot of options, which can change in "the momento" depends on what we want to do, and that is something really fun and, of course, a tool. I'am more to use a full core plus haris, but your idea: several duos running on the table, I have done some similar in Winter, but same don't suit in my mind for hassasin, but you have changed my mind. Thanks! :)

RobertShepherd likes this.
  9. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I took it for a spin yesterday (ITS 11 Decapitation vs JSA). Most shortcomings could be attributed to my bad handling, and bad dice luck. However:
    • For a rather static base-of-fire, the Group #2 has an adequate number of Orders. Maybe even better than adequate. It could benefit from having Strategic Deployment though, if points could be found.
    • I think there's to many Fidays in Group #1. Three of them - that's a lot, and they eat up loads of Orders. Not to mention, I never before fielded 3 Fidays, so I had a problem using them.
    • I'd love to have a Fiday with Shock Mines in the list.
    • The Daylami didn't had much chance to shine, but for 6pts irregulars, even throwing themselves onto a Shock Mine (granted, it was while trying to shotgun a Kanren Ryuken-9 in SF with Direct Template. She dodged) is, IMO, enough.
    ...I guess I'd swap one Fiday for a Barid (and perhaps have a Hacker on the table) to buy mines for the other one, and Strategic Deployment for Yara Haddad.

#89 Errhile, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  10. QueensGambit

That's a really good point. I should try to keep an eye on how many orders I tend to spend on the team. It can do a lot without moving much, especially with smoke being in its best band out to 24" now.

That said, Yara is a really good tool for dealing with enemy skirmishers. It's at least nice to have the option to move the team into the midfield once skirmishers have established themselves there. If Yara doesn't have the orders, we're probably looking at a Farzan flanking the skirmisher inside 8" and discover/shooting. But that's not ideal, especially now that so many skirmishers have DTWs.

Played a game of Domination a couple of days ago, for example, where on turn 2 the fireteam moved up, pushed two buttons, killed a Guilang and a Kanren, and put points in a far zone. Most of the team then got wiped out, largely due to my errors, but Yara was still alive to kill a Ninja on turn 3. I think I spent more than 7 orders on the team in turn 2, although maybe not much more than 7. Plus I forgot that I had e/m mines in the team - would happily have spent another order or two deploying them.

Definitely agree with this. Even if you don't plan to use the team aggressively, just having the option of putting some of them a bit outside the DZ makes it a lot easier to set them up in a good spot.

I've been liking three Fidays. It's true I'll never spend orders on all three of them, but having them scattered around means I can choose which of them to attack with. Plus if the opponent spends a bunch of orders removing one or two, there are still some left. They're particularly nice in Domination where they're points that start in a far zone and are very hard to get rid of.

That said, two is also a very good number of Fidays. Especially since you pay a tax to take the third one, and don't get mines.

Also agree here.

It's funny how camo can work against the user when it allows the target to delay. You want to force the Kanren to choose first, then shoot them in hit mode if they dodge.

Given that the Kanren got to delay, I think I would probably have shot it in hit mode. The Kanren will shoot back, but you're still on very good odds to win the fight. Whereas if you use template mode, it's definitely going to dodge.

I idly put together my own take on the split group list: gZIQaGFzc2Fzc2luLWJhaHJhbQEggSwCAQoAgTgBAwAAgTgBAwAAgU8BAQAAgUwBAQAAgUwBAgAAgUwBAgAAhgkBAgAAgT4BAQAAgUMBBgAAgUMBBgACBQCBUQEBAACBUQECAACGDAEEAACBLQEOAACBLQEIAA==

But I'm not likely to try it out until I've spent some more time observing how often I spend more than 6-7 orders on that fireteam.

sackofowls, Urobros and theGricks like this.
  11. Errhile

Well, might be that I did my math wrong.
    It was
    • Hit mode - I hit on 8s (+6 range, -6 Mimetism on the target, -3 Suppression Fire. I didn't mentioned itabove. My bad), she'll shoot me on 11s or 12s with 3 dice.
    • Or I go for DTW mode. She'll dodge on 11s, and at least drop out of Suppressive Fire.
    I tried to hunt her with the Farzan and mines, but he basically was out of orders to hunt her, and had to content with killing the HVT. She managed to dodge the mine, too. But in the following turn the Farzan was ran into by Yojimbo, and while his defensive shotgun blast didn't affect Youjimbo, it killed Kanren and Shinobu, who was Hidden Deployed just where I placed my template...

sackofowls likes this.
  12. QueensGambit

I don't think Kanrens have mimetism. That said, if she was in suppression then yeah, template mode makes more sense.

Also I'm pretty sure units in Hidden Deployment aren't affected by templates. Shotguns are still pretty great, though.

13. Errhile

I'm saying Kanren, and I'm likely wrong. That's what you get for playinG against the JSA once every few years :/ and when the Army does not generate Courtesy Lists.
    Could've been the Forward Deployed Ryuken Unit-9. It has Mimetism -6, Minelayer (hence the Mine which got my Daylami) and SMG for Suppressive Fire.
    And with Forward Deployment +8", in a scenario havimng 16" deployment, she could've been near the middle of the table.

As for HD vs template, I was surprised, too. But that was my opponent's call to even mention that, and he was so sure about it...

Urobros likes this.
  14. QueensGambit

Oh yeah, Ryuken for sure. Those things are finely honed midfield suppression machines.

15. Xagul82

Xagul82 Well-Known Member

I guess it should not have been affected. But maybe I overlooked a paragraph?!

Yeah Ryuken are a pain to deal with, at least for me. But maybe Yara can change this [emoji854]

[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_I01WD mit Tapatalk

sackofowls, Urobros and Errhile like this.
  16. Errhile

Thank you, I'll forward the note to my opponent :)

sackofowls likes this.
  17. theGricks

@Errhile thanks for giving my list a spin!

sackofowls, Urobros and Errhile like this.
  18. Errhile

Thanks for having it where I could've used it :)
    I was totally out of ideas for a list of my own. this one was sooo much unlike my style :D

Urobros likes this.
  19. theGricks

Its very different from normal lists, but I have used a similar list in ITS before N4 (3 impersonators, 3 infiltrators, and a core). Its a lot of fun. It relies on the skew.

Urobros likes this.
  20. theGricks

upload_2020-10-20_16-6-42.png

Heres an updated version with a lighter Group 2 with an additional order (brings it up to 8 orders) and the Strategic Deploy Yara. Also minus Aldjabe, to add mines, and a Barid Hacker, and Rafiq Red Fury.

sackofowls, Papa Bey and Urobros like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation