1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hakims: what Svalarheima Valkyries should have been

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Rey, May 18, 2018.

1. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I'm MOSTLY sure that idea had occurred to CB long before any of us put it into writing on the forum.

The sad part is the knowledge that anything appearing in another faction is so vanishingly unlikely to ever make it into PanO.

2. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

im honestly not, its been brainstormed for years and feels much more like a "lets chuck this in" for the NA2 armies than a coherent aspect of their deisgn.

But yes it matters little as its now almost garraunteed not to be in PanO

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  3. Palomides

Palomides Well-Known Member

I agree that a lot of PanO could use a makeover. It's not that the faction is bland, it's that it's the most relatively "finished" or complete. CB has gotten more creative and inventive with recent profiles, but a lot of core PanO units seem relatively set in stone. This is a problem elsewhere (Lasiq's anyone?), but may be especially prevalent in PanO.

Just sprinkling in MMR or MULTI MMR, some KHD, more breakers etc...to existing options would go along way towards updating the faction. (How cool would those options be on Father Knight?!) Slim down Bolts, give Engineer to Santiago, add some better mixed links and it could work. Look at Black Friar and Locust as recent successes.

barakiel, xagroth and Stiopa like this.
  4. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

They come with SMG and a template weapon (chain colt, for small teardrop)... cheaper and of "shorter range" but with AP or Shock ammo... in a troop that already deploys on the enemy's side. Sure, "inferior".
    For me, if SMG's need to retain their cost, making they shoot normal ammo (so losing the AP and the Shock options) is a must.

I'm aware. But to compress a faction who already has so many more exclusive rules seems more than worth it to me, specially for a faction that is supposed to excel on biotech even more than Haqquislam on certain fields (the Praxis labs are less concerned about morality, so those have the Pupniks while Haqquislam "just" have the best doctors for humans).

YOU try to wrest a military contract from the weapons business! I double dare you XD. Certainly, PanO follows follows a "best gear in the bracket" approach. That, however, should reflect in their weapon costs, not in their BS (for example, Multi Sniper Rifles for 1 SWC for the Fusiliers, instead of BS12, paying the Combi rifle at the cost of a BSG, etc...); that would be, however, much harder to balance.

I'd say that PanO is, KINDA, the US Military of Infinity. And the wildly used guns in the US military are modifications on stuff 50 years old, at least archetypically, despite we all seeing videos of weapons with cameras that shoot through corners, etc...
    Not having access to regular smoke in a faction with cheap trusty cheerleaders and good shooting and good visors I can understand. Not giving them Eclipse, out of the Military Orders at least, is kinda strange. And yeah, I know the Guarda de Assalto has Eclipse smoke (in his remote, though :S), and that Neoterra is more a "let's go for Camo levels instead".

Corregidor follows the same design... yet it has the Smoke combo instead of a straighforward TO murder minitag XD

TOTALLY worth it in certain units and weapons: a Mk12 Agema gets TONS of mileage from that X-Visor, while a Sniper Intruder... don't.
    Marksmanship-X is... horrible though.

Agree. I have a Corregidor bunch of units and it's my greatest regret, had I started with Bakunin I would use the units all the time. As it is now... I use the Intruder and little else, sometimes the Jaguars (which I proxy with old Alguaciles anyway), every year or so the Bandit, and little else (I have no Geckos, and no time atm to get them... I do have the Brigadas, and they seldom, if ever, see table).

Deltervees, daboarder and Stiopa like this.
  5. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

You cannot complain that CB is not reading PanO forums xD

Also remarks from sudo CB employess about that PanO was designed to be boring are frustrating as heck.

Im really tempted just to make a big header in MO tactica that people should really think this decision through and mayby pick other faction/sectorial which has bit more luck when it comes to design and product owner love.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  6. daboarder

Warcor

i know, thatr was my point.
    clearly we are only allowed
    HMG/Spitfire
    MSR
    Combi rifle

AdmiralJCJF and xagroth like this.
  7. daboarder

Warcor

beyond frustrating at this point, how much do we have to write for them to sit down and think "gee I wonder if they have a flipping point"

just because the newer players pick PanO and inflate teh numbers.

its basically just how GW treats Chaos space marines, with extra "Nah uh"

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  8. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't exclude modifiers from this comparison. Mimetism, for example, is close to having +3 BS in face to face, although you trade some extra reward for some extra risk in terms of pure statistics, I think.

Then Zhayedans have rule that amounts to actual +3 BS when shooting into cover (exceptions being Impetuous troops and the like). That's better shooting than Maghariba and especially lone raging Asawira that gives +3 BS to the enemy, becoming almost Ghulam-tier in terms of shooting.

PanO is not shooting faction just because they have +1 raw BS. It's because they are presented by shooters who have that +1 BS in their class and modifiers galore on top of it. TO's -6; Bagh-Mari's +3/-3. Or take a look at remotes: one that not only ignores -3 from cover like everyone's else, but also imposes -6 and have that +1 BS; or another that has all that standard MMS2 goodness, but also being where it can start shooting instantly on top of that and, well, +1 BS...

Most faction have these things. It's just PanO combine them more freely with other troop qualities and each other. And get that +1 BS.

But they do trade a lot of tricks for that, including those that level the field for the rest, sometimes even in shooting, but that's another story.

If you only want that HMG profile, take a look at new Vet Kazak. The mini definitely works to represent ARM 3 (Ayyars wear similarly looking armor, maybe heavier but they are W2, so...), and helmet isn't that far out of the line with new Haqq helmets you can see on Khwarijis or Hakims.

Well, Asawiras are basically Haqq knights, yes, both historically and on tabletop. And it's not like they aren't liked... They just either don't have what sells frenzied expensive units (no links in vanilla except duo with itself... at a standard vanilla price, for a limited time; pretty terrible) or run kinda counter to what player expect to do with their sectorial (HB isn't played for its sledgehammers). And even then, arguably, Muyibs aren't Magisters, although being a Haris and not full core helps immensely - at least they don't leech from the rest of the list's functionality that much.

And supernaturally strong humans with amazingly steady grip and heart rate no matter what they do. And humans that just won't feaking die upon being shot with expansive bullets. And, rumors are, even humans that can see beyond IR or UV parts of EM specter, but those are vehemently denied :P

Well, it is a sectorial, after all. Those being limited in unit choices and rewarding "spam" in lists (in the form of "three/five dudes links") are already pretty easy to grasp on list building and strategy levels.
    Playing them competently is, of course, another thing entirely...

Oh, and they have Deadpool Haris, something that does what knights wish they could do with that smoke, except with less staying power (but also cheaper).

Granted, they don't have much else going for them. They have things that would serve as great extras, but their core (pun half-intended) features as a sectorial are kind of meh. Aaand those extras just choose to flee to vanilla...

#88 Barrogh, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Xeurian likes this.
  9. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

I control the salt, I control the universe

Solar, eciu, Palomides and 3 others like this.
  10. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

One day Varuna will come out and everyone will eat their words

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  11. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

The issue concentrated is the only multi marksman rifle in the game is in JSA but clearly a PanO design.

lol if u believe this

Stiopa likes this.
  12. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

That's a good call and probably exactly what I will do.

Palomides likes this.
  13. daboarder

Warcor

Kamau.
    Mimetism, msv2

14. Rey

Rey Crabbots lead the way

I have to disagree, Rao as an LT won me games in Bagh Mari fireteams. He's relatively safe there with 2 BSGs and a mysterious camo marker from the MSR around. WIP 14 is more than OK for a Pano LT, and it often granted me first turn to unleash a SCREAMING TIKBALANG OF DOOM on Turn 1, then follow up with Bagh Maris, dig in in the middle, blow up stuff with D-charges etc. MSV-1 and linked asspistol is ultimate fun, especially against some midfield odd/TO guys.

So if Rao at least won't become worse than he's now, I'll be dancing a good times dance.

15. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

In a Fireteam, with Cutters and Croc Men and additional surprises to be released.

16. daboarder

Warcor

its boring and bland as Batsh**

Thats the point

17. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

At the moment... the future could change that. You can agree or not.

18. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

That is not a half bad idea, dread to hear the outrage if it got implemented, but I quite like it.

xagroth and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  19. daboarder

Warcor

How does Mimetism+MSV fundamentally play differently to the last 3 sectororials that did it.
    you're welcome not to participate, and again. SWC Lts SWC differences ect, all old ideas

20. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I know it is an old idea, but I personally quite like it.

On the outrage of every other faction? it will happen.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation