1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hacking Device, Holoprojector L1, Hackable Characteristic

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Ghost_from_warp, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Ghost_from_warp

Ghost_from_warp Classified

Two questions
    Does Hacking Device grant model hackable characteristic?

Hacker disguised as non-hackable model. Enemy hacker got hacking area to disguised model and ask is this model hackable. Should i answer no or yes?

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  2. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

Yes.

I hate holoprojector for these types of questions. I have no idea.

3. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

4. reaper1714

reaper1714 Annoying genocidal machine

From wikia:

So, I would say: Yes, it's hackable.

ChoTimberwolf, n21lv and xagroth like this.
  5. macfergusson

Seems legit.

6. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

No, the answer is "No, it does not have the Hackable characteristic". Note that only REM, HI and TAG have the Hackable Characteristic and that is what is open info when disguised by holo.

meikyoushisui and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  7. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Was that FAQ'd ? I didn't see it in the wiki.

The hackable characteristic icon doesn't show up in my army list for Moderator Hacker, but it does show up for Riot Grrl HI.

If you mean "is it hackable" as in "can it be effected by some allied or enemy hacking program" then yes, every single troop including cheerleaders can be targeted by Spotlight.

8. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

ChoTimberwolf and Robock like this.
  9. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Oh true, there is that too.

So then the answer would be "no, it is not hackable, but you can target him with your spotlight program" or "Not hackable, but you can target him with Brain Blast". That assumes you know which device the enemy hacker have. Which in the case of a Zero hacker in marker state or an enemy hacker in holo as something else, can be tricky.

10. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

On second thought, is that automatic identification of which program would work Private Information ? Holo say the Hackable characteristic icon is Open Info, not anything else. So if you hide as a chearleader, you could say "Yes you can target it with Spotlight", because you are holoprojecting as a model that can be targeted by Spotlight. If you are holoprojecting as a HI, you could say "Yes, you can Gotcha me" based on what you appear to be, the rule line in holo doesn't say that the true list of which program work is Open Info, only that the characteristic is. And the rule in hacking device doesn't say that the true list of what work is always Open Info, i mean, it doesn't even work against marker.

Why would the true list not be Private Info, covered by holo 1 saying you change what you appear to be and reveal all Open Info (like stats, weapon, etc) of the replacement model ?

11. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

That's because all HI troops are hackable regardless of profile, but troops with multiple profiles, some of which are Hackable because they have a Hacking Device and some not, are not ALL hackable.

Only "it is hackable" is Public Information while under Holo1. What program works is not. However, there are few cases of hackers with Holoprojector that are easy to confuse around (the Lu Duan disguised as 3 Aragoto hackers, Ayyar as three normal hackers...) and even so the IMM1 state is a safe bet

12. macfergusson

I beg to differ. Have you met my friend Vet Kazak?

13. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

All right.
    Before I add a "bug found" to the Army Bug thread, can you point me the rule where having a Hacking Device means you gain the characteristic if you didn't already had it ? Printing the icon in the pdf list in Army based on the presence/absence of hacking device in that trooper profile should be relatively easy to do. They already print the Lt icon based on if the specific loadout/profile chosen for a trooper has Lt or not.

14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Hacking Devices don't give models the Hackable characteristic. Hackers are hackable, but not Hackable. Unless CB are very, very, consistent with their typographical errors.

Robock likes this.
  15. macfergusson

This is why I avoid hacking altogether lol

16. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

There is also this to consider from the wiki. It seems the intent of how to play is if your opponent asks for open information, regarding the hacking status etc you must give it. Only if they ask though, if they don't ask you don't need to volunteer the information.

17. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

No, Open information must always be volunteered, you can and must share it.

As such when a Holo1 or 2 model that is hackable ends up within the hacking area of an enemy hacker, the player who owns that Holo unit is forced to divulge the nature of its hacking vulnerability.
    Including what programs it would be a valid target of.

You cannot lie or dissemble deliberately nor by omission or you are cheating.

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Open_and_Private_Information

Hecaton, xagroth and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  18. Triumph

Bolded for emphasis from your link:

They don't ask, you don't have to tell them. If they ask, you must answer truthfully.

This is further supported by the given game examples I quoted, the player asks for the information. The player with the HP model just doesn't start randomly spewing information as they move it around.

19. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Or at the point that information becomes open. When it transitions from private too open.

"Your Private Information remains secret until a specific game event forces you to disclose it."

Ie once a holo model is within the hacking area you must inform your opponent at that point. Because it has changed from being private information into open.

So yes the holo player must disclose it as they move.

#19 daboarder, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Hecaton, Sabin76 and xagroth like this.
  20. Triumph

That doesn't force you to disclose it. It simply becomes open information, available if your opponent asks for it. The game event that forces you to disclose it is your opponent asking for the information.

All the gameplay examples given in the rules support this. Players ask for information, it isn't volunteered.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation