1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hemos actualizado nuestra PolĂ­tica de Privacidad acorde con la nueva RGPD. +Info // We've updated our Privacy Policy to comply with the GDPR. +Info
    Dismiss Notice

Hack the Planet! The Bakunin Jurisdictional Command Tactica

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by helsbecter, Feb 10, 2018.

1. SpectralOwl

Icebreaker. Harder to win a FTF with than a Zero abusing its Marker and Carbonite modifiers, but against BTS 9-12 targets it has a better chance of actually accomplishing something. Granted it's kind of rare, but if your meta is full of BTS 9-12 stuff like Asawiras or Gwailos using Fairy Dust it may be worth considering. It also lets you combine an AHD and Boarding Shotgun on the same unit, a very powerful combination against certain Fireteams since it lets you immobilise the point man and send high-BS templates through the helpless REM or HI onto their teammates.

Tourniquet likes this.
  2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

If you're down to "situations in which Icebreaker is actually useful to use on the active turn" then you're deep into edge case land. WRT Fairy Dust that puts you at B2 11s vs B1 14s, which is an extremely good way to waste orders.

Most high BTS targets are better solved by a firm application of Morlock EM CCW to the face.

If you want Icebreaker like performance outside of a Fireteam then Zoe is a better option: WIP15 Stop! is almost as good as WIP14 Icebreaker vs high BTS and better outside of those edge cases. You can easily pair her with one of the plentiful Repeaters and BSGs in Nomads (Zero EMauler in particular is a favourite: the Reset / Dodge fork between Stop! and an EMauler is extremely good fun). Otherwise you're better off with the combo of HD+ Pitcher and Healer BSG (Order 1 Move + Pitcher, Order 2 Move + Hack, Order 3 Move + Hack, Order 4 Move + BSG W/Healer) as the multiple attempts you can make on approach tends to account for the lower odds of success. Yes, you can do that with the AHD + Healer but then I need a 3rd model to cover against MSV2 AROs.

Aside: in Vanilla I specifically take the BSG + EMauler Bandit for this problem. So it's a crying same that there isn't a Prowler BSG+AHD (without Grenades that's 34pts), it might just be worth taking (albeit Bio-immunity + Hacking could do with some better synergies IE. make DT and Breaker Bio ammo) mainly because slapping D-Charges on an IMM-1 enemy is great fun.

My personal POV is just kill the AHD profiles and remove Icebreaker from the game (replace it with Stop!). Give Stop! to Custodier HD+s, add a Multi-Rifle Custodier profile and allow Custodiers to link with Moiras. Or do the reverse and realise how important White Noise is to the Observance and give it to all the Observance AHDs as an Upgrade: because, yeah in a list without REMs a Custodier/Moira AHD with White Noise would in fact be worth taking. The problem is, in any Bakunin list where you're taking Observance and expecting to face high BTS HI then White Noise is too important to pass up.

Similarly add Multi-terrain to Healers and Custodiers or remove it from Moiras because god-fucking-damn is a mixed Multi-terrain/not-Multiterrain MI link a fucking nightmare. I'd probably go with no Multi-terrain but Zero-G for all 4 Observance instead. It's about a 1pt discount on Moiras and means that they all can ignore non-specific Difficult terrain (as in Rescue).

3. Davetron

Davetron Member

Yeah, it's primarily because thematically it's just cool ...

As for utility, as you point out, you pay a lot of points and there are other options--Zoe and Zeros--that can provide a similar hacking threat.

I've not ever run a link team with multiple hackers, and so I've not experienced the annoyance of having to use the same hacking programme in ARO. It's too bad that the ARO rules short-change link teams with multiple hackers.

Here's hoping that N4 returns the Custodiers to a better place.

Hachiman Taro likes this.
  4. helsbecter

helsbecter Ultrademocratic subSenator, #dominion Module

I read some of the OP and it's way out of date. I hate to rewrite at the end of N3, though... anybody heard news lately about our hotfix?

5. MattB89

MattB89 Member

Bakunin is getting a hotfix?

6. helsbecter

helsbecter Ultrademocratic subSenator, #dominion Module

I remember reading that wildcard updates would eventually come for the sectorials that didn't have them, like Bakunin, ISS, and CHA.

7. Jason839

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Was that before they announced N4? I could see them doing the changes spring and then N4 coming fall/winter.

8. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Hopefully it's not an instance of classic CB / gamer ADD. Start updating factions then forget about finishing it before it is done because of a new shiney (defiance / N4).