1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guts Rolls and Smoke Grenades

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It's an attack that has a special caveat that it can attack things like points on the table and friendlies. Check out Targetless.

2. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

Clipping someone with a template absolutely counts as targeting them with an attack. This is not in question. It's Smoke that makes this weird, not the template rules.

3. macfergusson

Where is there a caveat that friendlies can be attacked? Please be specific. And Biolocater doesn't count.

4. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

Well, at least Medikit is clear because the order to use it lacks the attack trait. I'm not sure if anyone was worried about that, but I'll say it anyway.

As far as smoke goes, I think this only makes it weirder, but looking over the examples I found this:

In his Active Turn, a Shaolin Monk decides to lob a Smoke Grenade at a few Fusiliers in order to sneak up on them. The Shaolin declares a Special Dodge with his Smoke Grenade and places the Template on the table. A total of 3 Fusiliers are affected by the Template's Area of Effect.
    Two of them declare BS Attack as their ARO against the Shaolin's declaration. This means there are two Face to Face BS Rolls against the one PH Roll made by the Shaolin.
    The third Fusilier does not have LoF to the Shaolin but, being affected by the Area of Effect, he can react with a Dodge in ARO. He declares Dodge so that, if he passes his Roll, he can move outside the Template. In this situation, the Fusilier must make a Normal PH-3 Roll to Dodge.
    The dice roll, and the Shaolin does better than the two firing Fusiliers, so he gets to leave his Smoke Circular Template on the table and avoid both attacks.
    Meanwhile, the Dodging Fusilier passes his Normal PH-3 Roll and moves 2 inches to get outside the Circular Template.
    Imagine that one of the Fusiliers who declared a BS Attack loses his Face to Face Roll against the Shaolin, but the other Fusilier who declared a BS Attack wins it. In that case, the Shaolin would avoid the first Fusilier's Attack, but would be forced to make an ARM Roll by the second Fusilier's BS Attack. In addition, the owner of the Shaolin would have to remove the Smoke Template from the table.

You'll notice that at least in this example, the active trooper isn't even declaring BS attack, he's declaring "special dodge."

5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

So clipping a marker with a template weapon counts as targeting them, which normally isn't allowed, except when it is. Like with a targetless weapon like smoke.

Still saying it needs a FAQ. Unless you want to argue that Smoke can't be thrown over friendlies either.

6. macfergusson

Yes, that is a poorly written example. We know from repeated clarifications and FAQs that Smoke counts as a BS Attack, and Special Dodge isn't a skill that can be declared.

Sabin76 and daboarder like this.
  7. macfergusson

I don't recall saying that they shouldn't FAQ a ruling that seems unclear.

8. macfergusson

Sometimes Smoke counts as an Attack, sometimes it doesn't. To properly answer this thread, we would need more information on when it counts as an Attack.

9. ambisinister

Gotcha. Well then we've got another fishy interaction.

10. Hecaton

Well then we'd have to back it up to the idea that friendlies cannot be in the aoe of a smoke grenade, which is not how CB plays the game. The implication is that things other than enemies includes friendly models.

It's 100% still an attack through. Nowhere in the rules does it state that it's not an attack.

11. Hecaton

The Smoke special ammunition page has more text about how it can target friendlies and points on the table. Nowhere does it say it's not an attack.

12. macfergusson

There are times where the text does say Smoke is not an attack, as I quoted above. It is inconsistent, hence the problem.

13. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The requirement is that you exit the zone. I don't see anything that allows additional movement beyond that.

But I also don't see anything that makes it clear that you can't.

I've just always understood that you can only use the minimun required to reach the end state.

14. Hecaton

We have to ignore that bit about smoke grenades being a "special dodge and not an attack" as someone from CB failing to understand their own rules, or else a whole bunch of other stuff breaks.

15. Daniel Darko

Daniel Darko Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Well, you are talking about dodge - I would expect it allows for a whole dodge-movement. It is a dodge, because a template is hitting... But that's my philosophy. Have nothing to back it up.

But then again I have wondered: Am I allowed to move the whole two inch while failing a guts roll? The idea is - as far as I get it - to abandon a position because of incoming fire. If I just move a millimeter to break line of sight, my enemy also moves a millimeter and LoS is given again. Maybe we should always move the whole distance? At our meta we agreed, that the trooper's commander decides how to move - following the appropriate rules. Do you have an official statement?

Oh, and while writing, there is another question: When failing a guts role and no movement is allowed and therefor you have to go prone - are you allowed to change facing? On the one hand you get the status "prone" and that does not say anything about turning around freely, on the other hand prone as a status can only be activated by a move* - and in this case it would be a 0 inch move which allows a new facing.

*and by deployment and by unconsciousness.

16. Phlyk

Phlyk Well-Known Member

As far as I know you cannot change facing because you have not moved, only entered the Prone state. This came up quite a while ago though and I don't know if the initial conclusion has since been overridden.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  17. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I would say smoke doesn't trigger a guts roll on anyone, friend or foe.
    • Smoke Special Ammunition is a non-offensive ammunition, so it does not require an enemy—or, in fact, any trooper at all—as a target, and can be thrown at any point on the table.
    Activating smoke means declaring a BS attack. And thus has the attack label attached unfortunately. So I'm going to interpret the line stating it's a non-offensive ammunition as meaning it loses the attack label. Kind of like how you can separate the movement component from dodge... I'm going to separate the attack component from a BS attack.

EDIT: Yeah I get that this means it's not really an attack for so many things like Dodge but whatever. Dodge or BS attack ARO's just need LoF as a requirement even though it's described as dodging attacks many many times. Regardless of the ruling, the RAW is terrible and I'll leave it at that.

#37 Ginrei, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  18. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

To get medkit off the hook, i'd say that's a BS attack that also loses the attack label. So no guts rolls there either. CB just uses different wording again, because well, they seem to enjoy it.
    • Non-Lethal. This weapon or piece of Equipment utilizes a Type of Ammunition that does not cause Damage, or does not require its target to make ARM or BTS Rolls when hit.

19. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

So you want to ignore the bit that solves your question?

20. ambisinister

I may be misunderstanding you here, but non-lethal in and of itself can still be an attack that can provoke guts. I was claiming medikits were off the hook because the order to use them is not BS attack, it's Medikit and that does not have the attack trait, so even though you roll to hit with your BS it's not actually an attack.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation