1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye ARO Templates

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Diphoration, Jan 28, 2022.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

It is a ruling that to have effect the reacting model needs to be in ZoC and out of sight of the active model (probably the safest place to be against a missile launcher).

The practical effects makes cheap DTW corner guards less effective and probably getting into silhouette contact safer.

2. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

"less effective", more like completely worthless.

I firmly believe that since you have to pick the position you shoot from at declaration, you can't pick a spot that you weren't at at the moment of declaration.

If you can pick a point that you didn't go through yet, it renders DTW completey useless. And DTW are one of the few things keeping the game balance in check.

Not only would this make the most optimal play completely unintuitive, which is in itself a very bad thing for the game. It will also make competitive play a complete joke and make active turn (and the all of the strongest things in the game) even stronger than it currently is.

Lesh' likes this.
  3. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

DTWs are very undercosted at the moment. If anything, this ARO nerf is a good efficiency adjustment.

A lot of high cost single wound mimetism Rambos will finally be playable.

Kyle Katarn and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  4. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Except DTWs weren't over powered. They were over abundant.

The problem was turning every shotgun into an alt fire DTW.

Turning DTWs into trash doesn't fix the core of the problem. It just guts defense.

Zewrath and Triumph like this.
  5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Already said it once this FAQ was actual garbage. Save your sanity and don't use it.

6. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Would there be any harm in just removing the DTW option for shotguns from the weapons chart at this point?

7. psychoticstorm

Ask PanO, whose main access to DTW are shotguns.

8. AntipodeanBolt

AntipodeanBolt PanOceanian Hypercorporate Delegation Secretary

We're slowly getting more flame throwers. However my MI and HI like this change since typically their BS is higher than both Ph and CC when responding to a CC threat. So spooling up an ORC with a BSG in Hit mode at +6 inside 8" to watch my corners in a Core at like BS 23 B2...is perfectly fine by me.

9. Triumph

That's literally almost every faction. BSGs and LSGs are omnipresent through profile types whereas Chain Rifles are limited generally to warband options.

Not to mention PanO has somewhat spammable Heavy Flamethrower options instead of Chain Rifles. WinterFo can run around with a bunch of Heavy Flamethrower and Pulzars on the table. People are still sleeping on Chaksa for WinterFo, damage 14 B3 Pulzar isn't a fucking joke when it comes to clearing out rooms.

#49 Triumph, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  10. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Less DTWs in the game is a good thing anyway. They were a problem in N3 and N4 just made things worse.

11. psychoticstorm

PanOceania has access to 19 entries of Chainrifle, Chaincolt, Nanopulser, Light Flamethrower and Heavy Flamethrower (not counting mercenaries) most of these self exclusionary since the meatiest category is locked in TAGs, this is the smallest access any faction ahs to DTW's that are not shotguns and none of them is in the hands of a cheap ultra survivable dodging, with or without smoke, warband.

12. Triumph

Yeah and this change kicks PanO in the dick harder than other factions. Wanna ARO with an Auxbot? Too bad silly gweilo, superior Yu Jing shoot you with combi rifle from behind a corner! China Number 1!

13. psychoticstorm

Is that a bad thing though? it is an edge case that needs some investment to be pulled off and most units effected can still dodge (probably into silhouette contact too).

14. Triumph

How bad you are at this game astounds me sometimes. The stuff you say makes me question whether you're much like CB and mostly just play board games these days.

Nuada Airgetlam, Vaulsc and Lesh' like this.
  15. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Considering DTWs used to be a big deal, that's more than fine. PanO paid for its optimized shooting profiles with less versatile toolboxes. There used to be a time when having access to a DTW on a trooper was a big deal.

Skirmishers should absolutely fear templates. Aggressive pieces, skirmishers especially, are far too powerful without that fear. But that fear should be properly earned with good planning and placement, not simply freely scattered around every corner.

#55 Weathercock, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    RolandTHTG and SpectralOwl like this.
  16. SpectralOwl

I play NCA the most of all factions I own, I'd gladly trade templates on Bolts, Orcs and Peacemakers if it meant not every enemy I had to walk inside of 8 of had a solid chance of killing my hugely expensive BS-focused infantry. The templates we do have access to- the 1.5W Deva, native Sixth Sense CSU, MSV2 Black Friar and especially the hyper-efficient Auxbot are defense enough.
    Couldn't agree more, just look at the costs attached to Minelayer. Having a template in place where an enemy needs to move is powerful.

17. Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach Zelenograd Shasvastii
    Warcor

There is an easy fix to all this baiting bullshit.
    Move must be declared first.
    Thats it.

JoKeR, Lesh', HellLois and 1 other person like this.
  18. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Sigh,

This doesn't nerf DTW, this isn't hard to pull off, this isn't any investment, this isn't an edge case at all, this isn't a game balance side effect.

Stop trying to justify some poor rules wording that makes no sense whatsoever, and get the people that can fix them to fix them instead.

This completely renders DTW irrelevant in ARO versus an opponent that isn't a complete vegetable. There is no way that rendering DTW completely unsusable in ARO is an actual conscious decision.

DTW are essential at keeping this game somewhat balanced at the moment. They might be a bit too common, but their utility is pretty damn important to keep stuff in check.

Lesh' likes this.
  19. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

reading all the comments to see how I can help you.

Reece, Lawson, Jonno and 7 others like this.
  20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Out of interest, but what is it that is kept in check other than elite one wound infantry?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation