1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going second woes

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by StuporMundi75, Aug 22, 2018.

1. StuporMundi75

StuporMundi75 Member

Hi,

let me first apologize if this has been discussed previously - but I have not been able to find it. What I am curious about how people here deploy when going second. In my meta I have a number of PanO players and they all make use of their sensor/sniffer bots with a high movement rate. I play with a Vanilla Ariadna list with a fair bit of infiltration an camo markers (the usual stuff of foxtrots, chausseurs, scouts, Uxia etc). I tend to deploy my infiltrators close to the mid point of the table but when going second the PanO players just move up their bots and sensor the crap out of me with roughly two orders. So, have you guys (girls?) come up with some strategies when deploying if you are forced to move second? Do you deploy further back in this case? Do you have a number of troops on ARO duty? Or a combination of these. Or none of the above :)

Best Regards

2. Niebieskooki

Niebieskooki Blue Sun Lieutenant

That might not sound very helpful but if your meta put strong reliance on sensors or you know your particular opponent likes using them this is exactly the reason why you should try using less camo markers. Because if opponent is prepared ofr them, there is not so much you can do other than either deploying them on high buidliding where even without camo state they are not able to be targeted or deploying defensively in your deployment - but there are better units for that then units that generally deploy in the middle of the table. At least that is how i feel about it.

Káosz Brigodéros and Balewolf like this.
  3. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Definitely utilize deploying further back if necessary, and have your minelayer units further forward. Nothing says that you need to deploy right on the midfield line in order to maximize the use of Infiltration... Even a few inches outside of your DZ still represents a saved order, and your units won't do you much good if they're dead on Turn 1. Use mines and cheap filler units (like the Hardcase) to draw your opponent forward, making him waste Orders and Command Tokens to achieve very little.

n21lv, Modock, Stiopa and 3 others like this.
  4. TriggerPuller9000

TriggerPuller9000 Poverty Orde Wingate

As usual, Barakiel has it.

The trick with protecting your units against Sniffer / Sensor nets lies in creating situations where your midfield has defense in depth. You should be deploying your Mines and Infiltrators such that, even if they're revealed, you force a close-range engagement that is advantageous. A revealed Mine is just as explosive as a non-revealed Mine, so if your opponent can't see it easily from outside its trigger area, it's just as dangerous. Same with a Chasseur.

Example below:

deploy example.png

I have no idea if the dimensions are correct but bear with me here. Assume the red line is the midline. You could deploy aggressively but in those positions, your units could be easily revealed using Sensor, outflanked and destroyed.

Pull it back a little bit - check the green-circled positions. With a Chasseur minelayer, you are getting two camo markers with >8" trigger areas / template range that can provide mutual cover for one another. They aren't any less dangerous once they're revealed because your opponent still has to deal with them. If you have other infiltrators, keep them behind these linebacker units and use chokepoints like this to minimize the damage from Sensor / Sniffer attacks on your camo. Digging out these markers should take 2-3 orders to maneuver and drop sniffers, a 4th to sensor, and several more actually getting a unit up there to deal with them.

Wyrmnax, Deltervees, Gargs454 and 3 others like this.
  5. Káosz Brigodéros

Káosz Brigodéros Vanguard, Inc.

A few inferior infiltrating troopers (Metros especially with DEP and HFT Grunts) can slow your opponent down significantly in advancing towards the midfield.
    Deploying on rooftops (in total cover) in addition to being in camo state helps, too. Spread your camo troopers out! And obviously field a huge amount of camo markers including mines and decoys!
    Apart from the Antipode Assault Pack (Hands down: the best anti-camo unit in the whole game!) NCA is doing this camo-sweep thing best, but even under optimal circumstances your opponent will use significant resources (40 points spent on relatively useless REMs, 2-3 oreder maybe a couple of command tokens for co-ordinated move and sniffer drops) to reveal your camo troopers: these are resources spent not on killing your troopers or accomplishing the objectives! This is a gain on its own!

#5 Káosz Brigodéros, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Great diagram, @TriggerPuller9000 . Really nice showcase of how to force an opponent to deal with mines. That's the kind of situation that's a nightmare for anyone who doesn't have cheap warbands to trip those threats, and even so, that's still a lot of Orders spent trying to crack through that layered defense.

inane.imp and Káosz Brigodéros like this.
  7. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

Consider placing a few more ARO pieces within your DZ that can take a shot at the little buggers as they manouver, they tend to be rather fragile. Also remember you do get an ARO when they try to sensor, which you could use to place a mine. It's never a bad move to make the midfield just a bit more deadly for your opponent

Balewolf and Káosz Brigodéros like this.
  8. StuporMundi75

StuporMundi75 Member

Wow, guys - thanks a lot for all the input and great ideas. Still rather new to the game - but giving up the camo just feels wrong when playing Ariadna. Again, thanks a bunch for the swift replies!

BR

Brother Smoke likes this.
  9. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

I'm with Brother Smoke on this one. What I'll usually do if I'm playing against my one local player who really spams the sensors is to set up my infiltrators in layers. I try to place my ambush or mine camo markers at the furthest edge of my ZOC. I'll also provide support with an ARO piece or three to provide cover fire.
    That way the sensor is baited to move up the board and discover mines or ambush tokens first while exposing themselves to uncontested ARO's from the Cateran or Tank hunter back in my DZ.

Káosz Brigodéros likes this.
  10. StuporMundi75

StuporMundi75 Member

Again, thanks for the answers. May I ask a follow-up question: does the sensor short-skill generate a ARO even if the unit in question does not have LoF to the sensoring unit?

11. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

Assuming you're using sensor you're most likely within their ZOC. Which would allow some ARO's like Change Facing or Alert without need for LoF.

Káosz Brigodéros likes this.
  12. StuporMundi75

StuporMundi75 Member

Right understod. I was thinking more the other way around. Assume my chausseur is being sensored (the sensor bot is within his ZoC but not LoF - since sensor ignores terrian) - can I then deploy a mine in ARO even though I don't have a LoF to the sensor bot? Not sure my questions make sense. I don't think I can can - but I might be wrong.

BR

13. Commoner1

Commoner1 Well-Known Member

You need LoF to place a mine.

"MINES

SHORT SKILL / ARO
    Attack
    REQUIREMENTS

In the Reactive Turn, LoF to the Active trooper is required."

14. mightymuffin

mightymuffin Well-Known Member

An alternative - if they *really* like sensor that much - is don't bother with infiltrating camo markers!

-> Infiltrating Grunts. You might need 2 or 3, but a heavy flamethrowers to cover any exit routes will either discourage the sensor bots from advancing, or force your opponent to spend orders to kill them first.
    -> Zouaves, with their Mechanised Deployment, can also discourage anyone from coming close.
    -> Units with Forward Deployment might be all you need to deploy into a good position.

If that doesn't fit your playing style, then try setting up overlapping fields of fire; e.g. marker A can see the approach to marker B and vice versa, (i.e. B can see the approach to A), thus your opponent will need to do something more than simply move into position & sensor both.

15. Cabaray

Cabaray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I love to go second with Ariadna. I go broad with my camo infiltrators and will bring some inferior and superior infiltrators to get close. As well as camos hanging back. I want the first turn for my opponent to be a witch hunt. That they have to spend a lot of orders to find all my dudes and dudettes spread across the battlefield. That they have to take a whole turn only to find a handfull and killing fewer is a succes to me.

And if your opponent is taking a lot of sniffers and msv2/3. Then make a more warband orientated lists (highlanders, irmandinhos, dogwarriors) backed up with heavier veteran kazaks. Enough strengths within Ariadna to counter those lists with

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation