1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gao-Tarsos

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by sgthulka, Dec 12, 2017.

1. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

carbon copy thing. i dont remember an ariadna list without a chasseur and a spetnaz for a time.

2. Mask

Mask Well-Known Member

The Tohaa lists I've dealt with in the last few months are more similar to each other than a couple of redundancies in vanilla Ariadna... Maybe is just my meta... I hope so... To be honest....

Mask

3. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

i agree that sukuel is very powerful meanwhile. but not more than spetnaz hmg

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  4. Mask

Mask Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing of the strength of a single piece. In every Army there is a "very powerful" piece. Especially in the 30/40 points brackets...

Mask

#24 Mask, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  5. EpicDiceFail

EpicDiceFail Patron Saint of Horrible Dice

Worst model ever...to put together that is!

6. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

I still recommend the Paramedic option. Most AD troops are (rightly) avoided because the Combat Jump skill is terribly unreliable, and because paying points to for a skill that costs you orders is no easy mouthful.
    Sukeul killed the Gao-Tarsos HMG.

7. Sora9785

Sora9785 Well-Known Member

I took the HMG layout only once and it was not really good. I prefer the Boarding Shotgun or the Paramedic layout (Para saved 3 games by landing next to an objective and pressing it)

8. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I thought N3 killed the HMG Gao-Tarsos, when the HMG became another choice, not just the best weapon.

the huanglong likes this.
  9. Arloid

Arloid Well-Known Member

I partly disagree. Sure Combat Jump is less reliable, but it's more reliable then Infiltrating in you're opponents half of the table most of the time. A well deployed AD trooper can do a lot of damage when the oppertunity arise and you can always play it safe by deploying on a table edge.

10. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

For many people, probably. But I still took the HMG Gao-Tarsos as a walk-on unit or deployable Suppressive Fire turret.
    The Sukeul, gaining +1 BS, + 1 Burst, and +Mimetism for -1 point, ensured I'd never again touch the Gao-Tarsos HMG in competitive lists.
    The Sukeul would have been better served as an MI with a just a Mk12, Missile Launcher, or K1 Sniper for faction balance. K1 Sukeul killed the K1 Kosuil and HMG killing the Gao-Tarsos and (for many players, though not me) the Ectros.

ChoTimberwolf and Abrilete like this.
  11. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

I just played Gao-Tarsos HMG this weekend, mmmmm, still love it :D

Still love the miniature too

And also I still hate him when I remember the first time I asemble it... :p

12. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

It doesn't help that Tohaa have around half of the choices that Ariadna does either.

Abrilete and Cothel like this.
  13. Mask

Mask Well-Known Member

I see more variations on sectorial lists than in Tohaa lists... And Tohaa have a lot more choices that, for example, Ariadna's sectorials...

Mask

14. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

Tohaa needs at least 10 15 units..

15. Mask

Mask Well-Known Member

Agree... Hopefully something capable of "inspire" some variation in listbuilding... The need of new units, anyway, is not the reason for the "carbon copy" thing I was mentioning earlier. Today is perfectly possible to do a lot of different lists with the troops they have... The problem is that a lot of Tohaa players don't want to.... (at least in my meta... I repeat... )

Mask

16. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

More minis will help.
    Imagine a new unit with a spitfire but with unlimited' pandemonium'
    We will start to say . This.time no sukeul..

Abrilete likes this.
  17. spears

spears Well-Known Member

I take the Gao tarsos a fair bit, being able to hit a number of classifieds whilst being a respectable gunfighter cant be sniffed at.

As for the carbon copy thing, I think there is some truth in that a chunk of the list tends to be similar. In part though thats due to the tohaa design where you dont need have one big link and build your list around it so they arent as distinct.

18. Safetyfirst

Safetyfirst Member

I'm still using a Gao Tarsos in most lists. His ability to quickly to get into a position to punish enemy units hidden behind terrain around the center of the table, or to go after back field cheer leaders hiding behind terrain. This is the critical job thats hard to replace with another tohaa unit, besides a Kotail. The Gao Tarsos's main function, which is to come in from the side of the table, on an angle that would both be risky and/or order intensive for most other units to do and lend fire support or purely rambo from a position that is generally hard to defend for most opponents, a Kotail can do this job, but the biggest advantage the Goa Tarsos has is that he generally doesn't have to contend with fire lanes as much and is more order effective than a Kotail at getting to back field cheerleaders.

Imho Goa Tarsos and Fraacta units are the best walk on units in the game, both effectively having 2 wounds, generally this means they won't go down to random ARO and they can push further into the opponents back field. Having a HMG gives a Goa Tarsos good range band advantages against most AROs and gives good pie cutting options across the withe of the table as well.

Just because the Sukeul gets a HMG, doesnt mean he replaces a Goa Tarsos as a flanking unit. The Sukeul bets a Goa Tarsos all day, every day, as a dakka dakka long range duelist, but he doesn't function as a walk on shock trooper like a Goa Tarsos does.

ChoTimberwolf and Szpet like this.
  19. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

In 18 months I haven't worked up the courage to try assembling and painting the HMG Gao Tarsos. There is literally nothing I own that I want to experience putting together and painting less, and Gao Tarsos combi is one of my favourite models. Never used him though, cos sukuel with mates is a thing.

20. Safetyfirst

Safetyfirst Member

It's worth it. Getting a HMG firing across the board is pretty amazing. At first I thought the HMG was not as good as a Fraacta + spitfire or as good points value wise as a the BSG option(its super killy but burns orders), but actually the HMG gives you the option of deploying at a safer distance and usually at a better range band and/or closer to friendly units with better ARO abilities, basically he's a safer AD option because of the HMG, while having the option of being just as killy as other spitfire ADs in the game.

Good luck pinning that nightmare together. :)

n21lv and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation