1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frostbyte questions

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Leviathan, Sep 4, 2018.

1. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

The Objective Points are won by having at least one Active Heating Unit. If you flip a console, that Heater is activated by you, BUT if your opponent flips the same console, it is now activated by them (not you).

To clarify - "Having" an Active Heating Unit requires that you be the last person who pressed the button on the console AND it needs to still have remaining Structure (Damaged or Destroyed state is not considered Active).
    The location of the Heater is irrelevant - there was some talk on Facebook about ownership by virtue of it being within a player's DZ or due to them securing that DZ or Dead Zone with points value of troops. This was an incorrect assumption.

#41 paraelix, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Is that what that section of the rules is trying to say? Cause holy crap is that a poorly written mess if so.

If that is how it is supposed to work, then sure makes sense on why you can repush the bottom. I thought it was a congratulatory point for just pushing a button and not having your opponent beat the heating unit to death in cc.

Hecaton likes this.
  3. paraelix

This mission mostly seems to promote an aggressive first turn move with area denial units. Move into the middle of the board, press all consoles and activate the Heaters in your own Deployment Zone, and both Dead Zones. This forces your opponent to shift all of their troops from their DZ. This is, of course, made harder by the Exclusion zone... But much more feasible than trying to dive into your opponent's board half later in the game to CC Heating Units.

ZlaKhon likes this.
  4. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Huh how weird, my group agreed that you can flip Heaters on or off with the Consoles because this does nothing otherwise:

• When Connecting a Console, the player
    declares which Heating Unit is Activated.

• You cannot Activate more than one Heating Unit for each Console.

• A Connected Console can be Connected again by the
    other player, applying the same procedure.

We've been looking at it like this.
    there are 4 Heaters
    You can then use one of the Consoles to turn one of them on, i.e.:
    0000 -> 0100
    Then the other player can connect the Console again and gets to decide which Heater is Activated by it.
    0100 -> 0001

What you can do that way is Activate the same Heater with multiple Consoles so it is harder for your opponent to make you freeze to death.
    This doesn't make sense for the mission and I can't find rules that back that Activation through a Console is permanent. If you're referring to Activate as in the Skill Activate that one specfically mentions things can be turned on or off with it.

• When Connecting a Console, the player
    declares which Heating Unit is Activated.

• You cannot Activate more than one Heating Unit for each Console.

I can see nothing that prevents you from switching which Heater is Activated by a Console when connecting it again. Anything I might be missing here?
    If it's intended that you can't go back and forth and each Console is one use, that makes for a pretty boring and skewed Mission.
    @HellLois ?

/edit:
    Found the problem.
    You're reading
    • You cannot Activate more than one Heating Unit for each Console (PER GAME).
    I was reading
    • You cannot Activate more than one Heating Unit for each Console
    as in you can not have more than one Active Heating Unit for each Console -> 2nd player to Connect turns the prteviously Active Heating Unit off.

Neither of which is actually clear, hence the problem.
    Still if it would be per game, this part stops making sense:

If the other player can't switch Heaters with this it does nothing.

#44 Teslarod, Sep 17, 2018
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

And see the very first page of the thread, where HellLois confirmed that this is how it works: https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/frostbyte-questions.24768/#post-145932

xagroth likes this.
  6. ZlaKhon

ZlaKhon New scale enthusiast

Yep, seems like this is a the best way to do this mission. There is definitely a strong incentive to play TAGs or HI links to counter this. I‘m not 100% sure if I am a fan of this mission, but disadvantaging army builds with 2 flash bots, 2 baggage bots etc for cheap orders seems interesting.

7. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

... another mission to dislike.

... another forum thread to sift through for FAQs and Erratas, Great.

Thanks anyway @ijw .

#47 Teslarod, Sep 17, 2018
  8. sam2064

sam2064 Member

Can Demo Charges be placed on heaters or can they only be used as a “cc” attack? (Like looting and sabotage). Placed demo charges don’t have the cc character (stupid rule)

#48 sam2064, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Teslarod likes this.
  9. Melchior

Melchior Well-Known Member

just cc attack

10. paraelix

You literally just ruined my evening. I had no idea this was the case... Whelp - really pushing that Andromeda in Vedic...

11. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

Having played this mission a few times, I think it's super funny to have second turn and encourage your opponent to turtle up in his DZ, then rambo a unit to blow up his heater on your last turn.

Wamp Wamp... They all dead now...

Daniel Darko and xagroth like this.
  12. paraelix

Playing OS now, I have no units I can really rely on to just Rambo and destroy anything. :(

13. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

Having played it now, i think maybe the focus on heater smashing isn't really that necessary - its entirely viable to just focus on killing the opponent and forcing an early end to the game.

14. paraelix

This dude ^^^ just killed his opponent so fast there wasn't a 3rd turn for Killer Cold to take effect.

Mruczyslaw and xagroth like this.
  15. Skaldur

Skaldur Active Member

I played it last night and I have a theory that activating the heaters isn't the best way to win.

If you kill the opponent's data tracker then move yours into the exclusion zone in turn 3 you are getting 5 points. This is especially viable if you get second turn.

It shouldn't be too hard to push at least one button for 1 point at some point during the game and you may be able to get your classified too for an additional 1 point.

If you manage to kill their data tracker, secure the zone and push a button, you should win even if they have more army points because most of your army freezes to death, while their's stays warm

ZlaKhon and Mruczyslaw like this.
  16. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Yeah my theory is to just treat most of my army as expendable for the purposes of killing their data tracker and protecting mine.

ZlaKhon likes this.
  17. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

But is that going to get you a major victory?

18. Superfluid

Superfluid Welcome to Svalarheima

This really hurts my brain. It feels like it's denying the most 'correct' use of D-Charges too, literally putting C4 on a static target you want to destroy.

Chopping something with a sword feels like the 'goofy' way of achieving the same objective, not something that should be the only way. Geez.

paraelix and Robock like this.
  19. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I mean @HellLois doesn't want people hitting the antennas in The Grid with guided ammo either, so don't hold your breath.

20. Russ

Russ New Member

If I make a Posthuman proxy the datatracker, who can use the irregular order - just that proxy, or any proxy?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation