1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluff question: why do you like Yu Jing?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Varsovian, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

Acknowledging differences between cultures, as between individuals, is one thing. Placing the 'Other' in the role of the mysterious-and-inscrutable is flat out Orientalism as described by Edward Said. Is that 'racism'?

Yes.

2. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Apparently yours is wrong.

the huanglong likes this.
  3. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Context is important here. Orientalism was termed within the context of a western society that had colonialistic intentions towards the east.

I don't see how this is analogue to people finding chinese culture exotic and intriguing. You can't just use terms without proper context.

I'd argue the same for yours, so we might as well stop at this point and, judging by your incoherent ravings, nothing of value will be lost as a result.

#83 Knauf, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  4. Shiwen

Orientalism was coined to describe a social relationship between cultures base on an imperial mindset, one that assigned itself the rational and the Other the mystical, itself the normal and the Other the exotic, itself the understandable the Other the inscrutable.

If you'd stuck to 'intriguing', sure, anything can be intriguing, interesting. But you throwing in 'exotic', with all the imperial context that word holds, is itself a textbook example of Orientalism.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  5. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

"Exotic" has no such connotations, as far as I'm aware. I don't intend to colonialize exotic fruits, for example. In the right (or wrong) circumstances the term could be used in a denigrating fashion, but it's not how it's commonly used.

#85 Knauf, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

RPG companies do not have a wargame and miniatures to sell, they can do more things with a setting.

Apparently? racism is an accusation quite lightly thrown around these years.... I am more than happy to acknowledge differences in culture and that some cultures behave in such a way I that is completely incomprehensible to how mine behaves (hence the term alien) I am not saying their behaviour is right or wrong just too different.

For example in this thread the fixation with "race" and "racism" categorising humans in different species, in my native word "racism" would translate in English as something with "breeds" so all humans are humans, like all dogs are dogs, but some have different characteristics? but all humans not different races of humans, the idea of categorising humans from skin instead of cultural heritage and behaviour is kinda alien to me, I acknowledge its existence, its a weird concept to me.

ilhan, Pen-dragon, Zewrath and 2 others like this.
  7. Dragonstriker

Again, apparently your awareness is faulty. Get woke, or whatever the kids say these days. Besides which, this is about psychoticstorm being racist, not you. Let him defend it.

the huanglong likes this.
  8. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I'm aware of the rising tencency for people to misuse and misrepresent clearly defined terms in order to make a point, so I'm pretty woke in that regard.

Whenever that happens, I can't help but chime in.

9. Shiwen

'Context is important! Now, let's talk about fruit'.

At this point all I can suggest is a re-reading of Orientalism itself. The construction of the exotic Other, the exoticization of the foreign, is at the very heart of the entire theory.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Okay, can we just drop the whole line about racism, please? It's not really on topic. Criticise the message, not the individual, particularly when the message isn't about a people but with interpretation of a story about fictional people written by a Spaniard.

11. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

That is not the whole story, though. The construction of the exotic other as the unchangeable, inflexible and thus ultimatively inferior to the enlightened western society is the heart of the theory.

The "fruit" example was admittedly silly, but it served to illustrate the lexical argument regarding the term "exotic". It has no imperialistic connotations.

12. Dragonstriker

Furthermore, I object to your assessment of my posts as incoherent ravings.
    My raving is quite coherent, I’ll have you know.
    If you cannot understand the nuances of the raving and the reason it is what it is and has the power it has, it is not Gutier’s my problem.

the huanglong and Aldo like this.
  13. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I'll take that back, they are coherent, just not very sophisticated.

I understand that you are very disappointed with how things are turning out and that is fine, but at some point it just gets tiresome. Throwing around insults and accusations of racism is just the cherry on top.

Zewrath and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  14. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Can we keep this to an interesting discussion about what might be redeemable about yu Jing rather than lazily flinging 'isms around like they're satisfying grenades.

I often only read the opening to a setting and not get too involved in finer details or individual stories until it gets in your face. The current trend is going that way, but it also seems like a blatant set up. Like yu Jing will undergo some further changes... Or maybe it won't.

None the less. The original outlay of how China grows and manages it's relationships with a vastly different form of governance, strict, focused on its values, with a sort of greater good undertone for itself as a nation.

Within that there are strong themes of being very competent diplomatically and in the game of intrigue that major powers must constantly play. There is pride and power in the armed forces, backed up solid knivery.

Yu Jing served as a counterpoint to the capitalism throughout the rest of the sphere. Pano with tech haqq with their silk, ariadna with teseum and nomads with their furry bodymods and Switzerland tunguska. Everyone has resources they exchange for influence and leverage. Yu Jing create it from its industriousness.

This comes out in some very competent forward deployment troops and solid, widespread technology throughout the ranks.

15. Dragonstriker

Well, psychoticstorm should stop being a racist, stop calling people who don’t praise the fluff enough stupid and stop shilling for the amazingly amazing Uprising fluff then. FFS, he’s already got a miniature of himself, what more is he after?
    He’s grossly unsuited as moderator of this forum.
    If you want to defend his behaviour so he can hide behind your skirts as well as A Mão Esquerda’s, fine.

16. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Since we talk about context I would like to point out that asking me about what I wrote is context, assuming what I probably was thinking when I wrote what I wrote is wild fantasy and most probably shows what the poster is thinking not what I think.

I don't find "Asian" and their behaviour alien, I find all behaviours and cultural expressions that deviate wildly from mine as alien and alien not in the meaning of "foreign" "exotic" ectr but alien as not comprehensible/ incompatible.

I can say the same for some parts of my country....

So yes Yu Jing behaviour and culture is, for me, alien in the eyes of western civilisation, because their values and society works differently and I point it out several times in the other thread, many posters wants Yu Jign to behave like PanO, they are not PanO and do not behave as PanO, PanO may assassinate a political threat, or discredit it using media support, ISS will kidnap it and make a guided bomb out of it.

17. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I have no interest in defending anyone I don't even know personally. Whether or not he is suited as a Moderator I really can't speak to and it's not my concern either.

If you have a personal vendetta against him, there are probably better ways to get your message across, rather than engaging in blatant sophistry at every turn.

18. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Enough. It's intolerable how this is escalating so quickly with personal offenses and such bad language. Every hot topic will remain closed for a few days. I ask you ALL to relax, and come back again to this topics with better manners, because better discussed there will be valuable feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation