1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fluff question: why do you like Yu Jing?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Varsovian, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I like their no nonsense approach and general dystopian vibe coupled with their chinese aesthetics and culture.

Kuang Shi are weaponized criminals that can not only be thrown at the enemy, but also detonated on demand! Wu Ming are the slighly less inhumane variant, but still very much in theme.

Some of their higher up agents have cart blanche to do whatever is necessary to get the job done. Basically like an evil James Bond.
    Bao Troops are the archetypal oppressive authoritarian police. Shoot first, ask questions later. The Kanren, on the other hand, remind me of the typical Jackie Chan Hong Kong movie police investigator, which is a particular kind of pop culture I do enjoy very much.

This, coupled with a few very unique, exotic or otherwise efficient units such as the Su Jian, Daofei, Guilang and Tiger Soldiers makes for are well rounded package that is right up my alley.

This is one of the saddest posts if read in a long while. Please don't let yourself dissuade from chosing a faction because of what other people think about it. Keep in mind that these are just opinions and different perspectives that are strongly subjective and more often than not exaggerated.

In light of the Uprising event (which caused quite the uproar among the Yu Jing crowd) these discussions tend to get heated very quickly, so don't take them too seriously. The only thing that counts at the end of the day is that you like your toy soldiers and hopefully the rules and fluff that is attached to them.

#61 Knauf, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    P-Chan, Thandar, Pen-dragon and 2 others like this.
  2. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Sorry buddy, you got ripped off. YJ are literally the fucking SS now.

Hecaton likes this.
  3. Dragonstriker

You wouldn’t. Especially not TODAY’S YJ SS.

the huanglong likes this.
  4. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Yeah, I kinda agree.

I would have never bought the Imperial Service starter (the first thing I ever bought) had I read the recent fluff.

Like, not a snowflake's chance in hell.

5. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix New Member

Because playing as evil totalitarian dictator or Fu Manchu, as opposed to good guys, is refreshing? Don't forget the evil laugh when you defeat your opponent, or "they failed me for the last time!" when your troops are defeated.

Knauf likes this.
  6. Antares

Antares Well-Known Member

@Dragonstriker Now that's how you scare off a player and I doubt it's helpful at all. I just started YJ because of the reasons others have explained very well. The Pan-Asian idea has existed way longer than the new dark side ISS vs JSA so I'm rating it higher as it is the origin of this faction

Gesendet von meinem SM-J500FN mit Tapatalk

Kallas, Pen-dragon and BenMoss like this.
  7. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

He is saying the straight truth tho. For the next 9-12 months the major representation of Yu Jing on the tabletop is, according to the fluff, basically the SS.

CB decided that, if it scares new players I think they are the only ones to blame.

8. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

Nothing much to say, I LIKE their sinister antagonist characteristic. Including I live in Asian region.. :)

Thandar and oldGregg like this.
  9. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

I don't like their nazi characteristic. Including I live in fascist region.. :)

Dragonstriker likes this.
  10. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

You have groups of army veterans being in charge ? How interesting...

Aldo likes this.
  11. krossaks

krossaks Well-Known Member

I like Yu Jing but i must admit i love the more "pano style" parts of Yu Jing ( militaritzed hight tech units) and i heavily dislike the old chinese nobility style from imperial service agents. Anyway i still don't use kuang shis except in full wu ming pain train list and i'm proud of playing vanilla without it.

I just wish to have a less disotopic style for my faction ( considering the light of other several factions), even liking the idea of japanese getting the independence i expect Yu Jing fluff to move away of just repression mode...

Shiwen likes this.
  12. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Just wait until some of the usual suspects comes to scold me for my terrible opinion of the Spanish state and its ruling caste.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  13. krossaks

krossaks Well-Known Member

Well the core book fluff for Yu Jing, even outdated present the good parts of the faction. Later HSN3 start speaking about ISS and Japaneses and all takes an other direction...

Shiwen and xagroth like this.
  14. Dragonstriker

Or that’s just flat out racism. “The inscrutable orientals are so different and exotic to the westener’s eyes.”

Ten Thousand Arrows, Shiwen and Aldo like this.
  15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

This is not a requirement for fascism. One of the most famous fascist empires started out by sacking most of their veteran officers while several of the leaders in democracy has had a tradition of not only letting army veterans write their constitution, but also for electing army veterans into office.
    Equally, being heavy-handed on their own population or conducting ethnic cleansing isn't a requirement for fascism, even if historically fascism has tended to lead to that state of affairs.

I mean, it's a cause and effect which aren't necessarily guaranteed, but people get them mixed up all the time.

Shiwen, xagroth and Aldo like this.
  16. Dragonstriker

Read the fluff of the Closed Battle Lists Einsatzgruppen released today and say it again with a straight face.

the huanglong, xagroth and Aldo like this.
  17. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Or cultural relativism. Which I think he is a fan of seeing what his response was to the first "psychocrane" quote.

Hecaton, the huanglong and Shiwen like this.
  18. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Acknowledging differences is culture is racism now?

19. Dragonstriker

Fetishising “the oriental” absolutely is.

the huanglong, Shiwen and Aldo like this.
  20. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

We have different understandings of the term racism then.

Thandar, Zewrath and A Mão Esquerda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation