1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishman for Tohaa?

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Cothel, Oct 15, 2018.

1. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree with this. 2 'mates is sufficient, and taking more does not provide the tactical flexibility of 'bombs.

Zsolt, Cothel and Abrilete like this.
  2. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

I can understand your point of view, but I don't accept , why I should tie one arm to my back when I could face a Marut, Achilles, MO/Morat-Pain-Train, Dakini-Link, Ghazi etc..
    Everybody has the right to play what he want's and I don't complain any more about a list my opponent brings to the table.

Golem2God, ChoTimberwolf and Zsolt like this.
  3. SirTycho

SirTycho Well-Known Member

But... he's irregular.
    So he's not doing the same job.

Nevertheless, the Freedom Fighter seems very cheap to me. With some really nice rules.
    But personally I don't like the sculpt.

4. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Handicap play or not notwithstanding, the more I look at these fishbois the more I think they were tailor made for how I play Tohaa. They trade like champs, add *another* layer of redundant defence, help unclutter the DZ just a little, and are fantastic value traders with mines, dogged, shotgun and a chain colt.

On top of that they add a secondary model that I can use to clear koalas and minefields (only exceeded by my usual choice, Surdas) and even circumstantially engage mutts (mostly thanks to the marker state and me not caring too much if they get isolated).

And on top of all that, as noted, they're an ideal reserve drop.

Hot damn. :D

5. RobertShepherd

Why would it matter that he isn't doing the same job? I have plenty of regular orders and incidentally also typically have plenty of CMD tokens because Tohaa basically never need to use them (reforming triads is a mug's game).

Meanwhile the things he is doing, nothing in my list was doing at that point.

Infinity favours a varied toolbox over repeated instances of the same thing. This guy is a sweet change.

wendigo, Cothel and Abrilete like this.
  6. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

My problem with that is the 1SWC cost. I already have issues with 0.5SWC for minelayer, but 1SWC seems way too much for me.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

I do find it odd that the minelayer has 1 SWC, but the D.E.P on the 8 point profile is SWC free. I'm pretty sure I have seen those cost SWC on other units. But even with the 1 SWC I'd be tempted to run it.

Golem2God likes this.
  8. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

I never saw D.E.P. with an SWC cost, only saw checked it on Pano profiles though. Maybe it costs SWC on Haqq or some other atek factions.

9. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

I was looking around and it does seem to vary depending on the unit. Some cost .5 and some cost no SWC at all. So the Libertos does seem to fit within the normal cost.

Abrilete likes this.
  10. nehemiah

It is all a matter of taste, but did you see the side profile that shows off its tail? That showcases the model much better than the promo image they put out with the book.

As for utility, another thing I like is having another regular camo that can deploy most of the way up the table so I can hide an Igao a little better.

Golem2God and Abrilete like this.
  11. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

I like the unit, seems like a good option for us and others as a cheap skirmisher in both profiles.

I am also curious how this squares with the oft-repeated statements on these forums about how making new alien sculpts takes too much artist time as a reason for the lack of models for Tohaa. Seems like this model is a pretty cool new alien design.

Golem2God, Cothel and Abrilete like this.
  12. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

It's a cool new alien design for Pano. That they could then also make as a merc that could be used by all the other factions.

Now I kinda want this unit in the Triumvirate.

Thaddius and Golem2God like this.
  13. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Seems reasonable.

Well, it could just be the Tohaa in me, but I see three explanations.

1: CB has cracked the code on rapid alien designing, and the Libertos and other helot designs (as well as the rumored Shas updates) are harbingers of a coming wave of new alien models, including new Tohaa.

2: They haven't, and they have expended all of their available artist time to make the helots, which would be foreboding.

Or

3: It actually takes about the same time to make fishmen and space elves as it does cyberknights and techno samuari, and always has been not so much about artist time as what is going to sell better to more people.

I tend to favor the last explanation, but could be the others I guess.

14. nehemiah

I have heard the RPG mentions Helots were another alien race whose genes Tohaa manipulated, so if that is the case it would seem reasonable for them to show up in Triumvirate.

15. RobertShepherd

Yeah, I think it's how they're keeping an otherwise highly optimised profile balanced. It's not a problem for me, I chronically run low SWC-lists in favour of more smoke and melee, but with the existing overhead of symbiomates costing SWC I can see it not being for everyone.

Golem2God likes this.
  16. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

I got one welcome our new Exhalted Fishfriends

17. Tongfa

Tongfa ULTRA INSTINCT UKR

Between Antipodes and Helots - at this point it's like what hasn't Tohaa fiddled around with.

Thaddius, Abrilete and Golem2God like this.
  18. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

Fiddler Crabs!

Golem2God likes this.
  19. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

A hermit crab alien species? Sounds unique.

Abrilete likes this.
  20. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The thing that I like most about the Helot is that it opens up our lists to a series of increasingly complex double bluffs about whats happening on the board.

Package 1:
    1 x Clipsos Minelayer deployed as Double Camo
    1 x Clipsos FO
    1 x Diplomatic Delegate

Package 2:
    2x Camo Markers of your choice Minelayer/Igao/Whatever
    1 x Diplomatic Delegate

Package 3:
    1 x Camo Marker of your Choice
    1 x Helot
    1 x Kotail Pretending to be Diplomatic Delegate

Each package is near to each other pts wise. Each one has an irregular order you'll be spending Command Tokens to turn regular often and each one has a pair of Camo Markers to place.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation