1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteams in Loss of Lieutenant and Command Tokens

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by scarab, May 3, 2018.

1. scarab

scarab Member

Question: If you use a command token to convert the irregular order from a link team member during a LoL situation to a regular order, and then spend that regular order on:

A. The fireteam leader, or,
    B. Another model, not in the link,
    does the link break in either scenario? In scenario A, does the whole link get to act?

Relevant FAQs/rules (any emphasis mine)

Q: Under 3rd Ed rules, what happens to a Fireteam that enters Loss of Lieutenant?
    A:
    Loss of Lieutenant in 3rd Ed does not automatically break Fireteam links. However, troopers in Loss of Lieutenant become Irregular. Should a member of a Fireteam expend his Irregular Order, he automatically and immediately abandons the Fireteam and forfeits all its bonuses.​

Command tokens:
    By expending one Command Token, you may do one of the following:
    Transform the Irregular Order provided by an Irregular troop into a single Regular Order, substituting the corresponding Order Marker but only for that player turn.​

Rules as written, you are transforming the irregular order to a regular order. The fireteam only breaks if you expend the irregular order. I think that would mean that you could even activate the entire link with that regular order without breaking it. This does seem a little wrong to me, but I can't see why that wouldn't be allowed.

2. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

A. You can convert an order to regular and activate the fire team as a whole. Alternatively - if you have troopers with the Veteran skill you can spend their regular orders on the link team.

B. I'm a little confused on this question. Why would activating another model not in the link team break a link team it's not a part of?

3. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

There's no reason that spending a regular order on a link team or anyone else would break the fireteam, unless you've met some coherency restriction. I'm going to have to agree that your question doesn't really make sense.

Your example of what seems a little wrong to you is basically the whole point of allowing Command Tokens to convert irregular orders to regular in a LoL situation.

4. scarab

scarab Member

Okay, sounds pretty clear this is legal and intentional. The interpretation we ran with last night was that converting the irregular order to a regular order and then using it was essentially expending that order, which means this sentence would apply:

"Should a member of a Fireteam expend his Irregular Order, he automatically and immediately abandons the Fireteam and forfeits all its bonuses."

But it sounds like everyone is in agreement that the conversion of irregular -> regular doesn't count as expending it and doesn't remove the model from the Fireteam. Thanks!

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  5. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Just to clarify, using a command token to convert an irregular order to a regular order is not considered "expending" or "spending" that irregular order.

xagroth and daboarder like this.
  6. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

The only reason an order is referred to as specifically belonging to a trooper is BECAUSE it is Irregular (or impetuous). Otherwise it is a Regular Order in the Order pool, and it doesn't belong to any one particular trooper. Expending an Order is to use it on a trooper, to Activate someone in some way. The Command Token changes the Irregular to a Regular order, so it is now part of your Order Pool, not belonging to a specific trooper, and it can now be expended freely.

xagroth, daboarder and ijw like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation