1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteam declarations

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Qwerinaga, Sep 2, 2022.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Because the Varuna Orc has Stealth. The opponent's unlinked Barid Hacker wants to Oblivion the Orc in ARO, but can only do so if the Orc declares a skill that breaks Stealth. So it matters whether the fireteam's declaration of BS Attack constitutes all the fireteam members (and this Orc in particular) declaring BS Attack.

Qwerinaga likes this.
  2. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

That you for the example, I think I'm on track now.

QueensGambit likes this.
  3. Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach Zelenograd Shasvastii
    Warcor

You understand, that what you are proposing will kill ENTIRE sectorial army ? Qapu Khalki. Cause Holomask troopers will reveal.
    I agree with what @HeadChime sad.

Savnock likes this.
  4. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Well, I am only proposing folowing rules.
    Initially, the stealth rule clearly stated that everything depends on the declared skill.
    Then a faq came out that contradicted this. This is what you are accustomed to refering to.
    Since Dec 2021(faq 1.1.1) it was fixed and until March 2022(new annex) it again clearly worked that way(entire fireteam lost stealth if leader did).
    Now it seems not so clear, but I don't see reason why it could change.

P.S. My Domarus aren't happy too.

#24 Qwerinaga, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  5. HeadChime

HeadChime Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Holomask doesn't work RAW right now. As soon as the fireteam leader declares shoot, they ALL declare shoot and it reveals the holomask members. It's broken RAW.

6. HeadChime

Warcor

This is impossible. You cant perform something you haven't declared. There's no provision for this in the rules.

Mahtamori likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Which would mean that fireteam members would never break stealth, ever, unless they are leaders which is all kinds of fraught and doesn't work with the FAQ in question.

Savnock and Qwerinaga like this.
  8. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Let me be devil's advocate here:
    This is impossible when we are talking about familiar types of orders. But now rules operating new and unknown "Fireteam order" - https://infinitythewiki.com/Fireteams_in_the_Active_Turn
    and there we can see: "fere team declares", "leader declares", "player declares" but never "fireteam members declares". This can be considered as special case of activation "one declares - all perform".

Emm... Yep... Thats where we are coming this way.... and that is how we play now :confounded:
    Anyway FAQ is outdated with release of new annex.

#28 Qwerinaga, Sep 4, 2022
  9. HeadChime

Warcor

If you want to play devil's advocate, you may. People are allowed to play the game wrong.

Regardless, we've provided the relevant rules and reasonings which ought to prove that they all declare together. The rules clearly, clearly state that all members are activated together and by virtue of this they proceed through the entirety of the activation sequence together. The rules also talk about who is allowed to perform and who isn't - text which only does anything IF they all declare.

There's little else to add here. Our job is to provide the rules and explain them if they're unclear. We can't do very much if we provide rules and people choose to ignore them.

#29 HeadChime, Sep 4, 2022
    solkan, Methuselah and Qwerinaga like this.
  10. KGG

KGG Well-Known Member

I haven't been keeping up with all this thread, but if a fireteam leader declares 'BS Attack', do all the other members have to declare the same, including what weapons they use? If it then reverts to 'idle' for the non-leaders and they only have a disposable weapon, will it lose 1 ammunition for an 'invalid declaration'?

11. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

"By declaring Reset or any Skill with the Movement Label (except Berserk), both the Fireteam Leader and the other Fireteam members perform that Skill. If any other Skill is declared, only the Fireteam Leader performs the declared Skill and the other Fireteam members perform an Idle "

The other Teammembers dont declare BS-Attack, they declare "Idle", and without declaring BS-attack they dont have to choose any weapon nor dispose ammunition

12. Iskandar

Iskandar Well-Known Member

That's just incorrect. They all declare the same skill and what they perform in based on that. You can't have fireteams in the active turn declaring 2 different skills that's not how the rules work.

Qwerinaga likes this.
  13. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Strictly speaking - yes. But I can't remember anyone who has only disposable weapons.

14. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

It worked this way for a long time. And I belive, still works. But current wording is not clear enough.

I wonder if there is a chance to get clarification from CB Stuff?..

15. anubis

Ok, in RAW-Terms, this may be (also if i think i quoted the part of the rule were it´s written "leader does BS-Attack, everyone else does Idle", but maybe i missread that completely and someone can enlighten me.

In gaming terms: explain me, what exactly happens, for i did not remember seeing at any point ever anyone (even the most competitive and rule-afflicted player) see a fireteam acting any different than "Whole team moves, whole team declares BS-attack, Leader does BS-Attack, everyone else Idles"

Or is everyone playing it wrong?

Edit.: I see, i see, its the difference between "declare" and "preform"....
    Still: does it make any difference in actual how you play it?

I took a look into Army and on first glance (and also on second) there is not a single unit existing with only disposable Weapons that is linkable. And now imagine another wargamer stumbling into this Forum, seeing people discuss for 2 pages about a rule, that affects units that does not and will unlikely ever exist :-D

and yes, yes, I know, thats not the point. It`s about clear rules and wording. Still, quite a luxuriouse problem, isnt it?

#35 anubis, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  16. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

That is right sequence. But earlier you proposed it a bit another way:
    Since N4 release in 2020 and until new annex release in 2022 there was a clearest rule:
    "All members of the Fireteam must declare and execute the same Short Skills of
    the Order, or Entire Order, as the Team Leader."

Now we don't have that rule. But many other basic rules(look eralier posts in this topic) hints us that it still works this way.

The question is: Have you changed your play with new annex or you played it wrong way for almost 2 years?

17. anubis

The last two years wasnt exactly the "we all play a lot"-Time, and if i played, it was vanilla. So non of my opponents played Linkteams any different.

Also, my question still stands: How does that effectivly change how u play fireteams? You dont just start moving 5 units and all of them shoot (i mean: they SHOOT. Roll all the dice and stuff. Not just "intent" to, or think realy hard about), or am i that wrong? In that case, hold my freakin Linkteammarkers, I will so gonna start sectorial again

18. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

#38 Qwerinaga, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Abrilete likes this.
  19. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

This was already asked and answered in this thread. See post #21 above.

Qwerinaga and anubis like this.
  20. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Now the problem is that we have an alternative Order Expenditure Sequence for fireteams.
    https://infinitythewiki.com/Firetea...ce_and_AROs_.28Fireteam_in_the_Active_Turn.29
    It is very vague. And there are no specific instructions on how it interacts with the usual Order Expenditure Sequence
    https://infinitythewiki.com/Trooper_Activation#Order_Expenditure_Sequence

In the context of our current topic, point "3. The Active Player declares the second Short Skill of the Order." is especially vague.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation