1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female models in Infinity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by 1337Bolshevik, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Sure, and it also has a selection of non-white characters depicted in the official studio paint jobs and miniature sculpts.

2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Boxes must be ticked, external demands must be met, regardless of what and how the company/designers want to do things.

Dragonstriker and McDevil like this.
  3. Hecaton

Well, if CB wants to say "We only want to portray white people in PanO" as a conscious choice, then I'd say they're doing it wrong.

What's more, some of those demands might be external ("People will only buy PanO if they think they're the white-European faction, cast more space knights!")

4. McDevil

McDevil Well-Known Member

I like Female models in Infinity. They have real proportions for minis, not big heads and hands. Anime influence is big plus. And faces are various and have character, not one soulless doll type like some others CAD minis. Combat heals works for me. And I like that female miniatures are fit, sexy but not overdone and smaller then more bulky male ones. This bring cool 80' - 2000' vibe, anime classic and reality around me. (that's make me Male gaze misigonic, sexist pig ;* )

I think that Infinity line is diverse and bring inspirations from around world, but for some folks it is never enough. Looks like problem is not only PanO and one blond girl from Aleph. But even CB crew should be more diverse now :).

-"to have some sexed-up male models, sculpted by people who are attracted to men in order to be visually pleasing to people attracted to men."
    -"The best way for CB to diversify it's portrayal of ethnicities would be to hire people of said ethnicities"

What sound bonkers. It should not be that only art talent/skills, how well artist get going with employers and how expensive he/she is?
    Not sure about sexed-up male models but about ethnicity current artist doing great job in my opinion.

Hecaton you lost me with that "Anglo" stuff. There is 44 countries in Europe arising from many etno cultures: celtic, slavic, german etc. Plus grups like Basques in Spain or Silesian in Poland. Plus minorities Jews, Romani, Muslims in Balkans or even more unique peoples like Polish Tatars. With own languages, art, literature, cuisine(only Brits don't have one, but hey they not even in Europe anymore :))) ) history and heritage. Kids hear different lullabies. Some faces differences. When I moved abroad I was able to recognize +/-80% of my folks, some Russians and now some British to. Cool stuff and diverse. But scrap that. Lets throw all of them to one box with sticker "Anglo". Kinda strange by guy who preach about diversity. Or its only pigment in skin what make humans diverse?
    To show how wicked its sound to me. Lets call all inhabitants of Africa e... Zulus. Or lets write sentence. Mongols in Japan make cool chef knives.

Blondes
    In Malifaux 2e there was lots of red heads.
    -And so what?
    -Nothing

To end that and sorry for my English. Lets invisible hand of capitalism market decide. Yep vote with your wallet. And let creators/artist do they job, they work better without pressure. More ethnic minis, sure if autors have cool ideas. But not as tokens to satisfy fev loud customers.

Zewrath, Cthulhu363, RAF and 3 others like this.
  5. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Most M2e minis were greyheads, apart from a few minor colored batches. Paint them how you wish.

Alternatively: NOOOOo you gingerphobe* why do you not pay attention to how brave and empowered they are, they so deserve your support!

* the word has been copyrighted by oppressed minorities of [hair] color, the use of g-word by others is considered gross cultural appropriation and literal** liguistic violence

** (not literal)

/s

#165 Pierzasty, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  6. Pierzasty

I agree, scenic bases are garbage.

7. MATRAKA14

MATRAKA14 Well-Known Member

I disagree, the size of those models is a design choice, not a casual misstep. You can compare the new female orcs with the males, a human body is unable to fit in those armors. Patsy and Tai Sheng are anemic too, specially the first one.

[​IMG]

Look at those arms! Not even a bone can fit inside.
    [​IMG]

Also, high heels for ariadna combat boots look plain stupid, sexualized figures can look very cool, cyber sci-fi ninjas or irregular mercs with heels or other strange clothing look great. But not for ariadna. A Barbie doll with paper clip arms and high heels doesn't fit the army of survivalists.

For me female models are just inferior products, when I see announcements for new releases I always hope they are all male.

The female jenisare should be the standard not the exception

[​IMG]

KedzioR_vo, Ayadan, Hecaton and 2 others like this.
  8. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

While I agree that asking for a small company like CB to hire ethnical and/or diversity artists is a bit too much because they probably don't have the manpower for it, I really want to stress the importance of different viewpoints.

It's not about talent, it's about viewpoint. A male, heterosexual, white artist will draw with different sensibilities than a male, heterosexual black artist, who will draw with different sensibilities than a female, heterosexual white. Even if these people all have the same talent.

Because the background of the person influences their reference pools, and the kind of detail they emphasise in their art. Just grab a comic book by Dave Gibbons and one by Todd McFarlane and you will see it: the two of them draw differently and emphasise different stuff, yet no one will tell you these guys aren't talented. Or hell, compare Frazetta's sexy, chiseled bodies to Alex Ross' broad, heroic strokes.

It's the same process that leads to some people saying "Could we have a female character designed by a female?" because then this character would be different than the ones designed by a male. Not better, different, that's the point of having diversity. When we have a character like Achilles, for example, who is supposed to be sexy, if you ask a heterossexual male, a heterosexual female and a gay male to draw him, each drawing will come out different regardless of the talent of the person.

I'm repeating myself, but I just want to make it clear that this kind of talk is not a jab or a take down of the artistic abilities of those working at CB. The model and artwork quality of this game is top notch and I don't think anyone in this thread thinks differently.

9. Pierzasty

I'm now imagining a Steel Phalanx resculpt done by Tom of Finland after a JoJo binge and I don't know how to feel about that.

Hecaton and DaRedOne like this.
  10. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

While using the Stade Français yearly calendar as further inspiration.

11. Hecaton

Unfortunate you couldn't follow me then.

12. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

If you want people to follow you to your conclusion, you need to lead them there. Unfortunately, your use of "Anglo" earlier in the thread lead many people to assume you were categorizing all of Europe as "Anglo," which in much of the world outside America refers specifically to England. Hence the confusion.

...Anyways, I do think that having some more artwork with obvious SEA influences would be a good thing. We've got a good spread of PanO models with SEA names/themes (Tikbalang, Akali, Bagh-Mari...) so it'd be neat if the artwork reflected that better.

chromedog likes this.
  13. Hecaton

I mean it's all there in the thread, but I guess he didn't want to read it before replying.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation