1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female models in Infinity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by 1337Bolshevik, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

@DaRedOne dismounted Scarface has gotten some positive comments from some female gamers I know lol.

DaRedOne likes this.
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I think that some of the ideas you entertained are crazy... also please stop the contemporary political discussions.

@Hecaton the questionmark was not to say I am unsure if these countries were in, but that I was unsure of the status of India and if they should be eclipsing PanO or if all others joined together would be more, in any case it is not difficult to see a population shift in PanO when Europe and South America join PanO, that can also happen if the colonization's of entire solar systems from a particular population group would completely change and entrench the populations ethnicities.

175 years in the future is a long way and many things can happen.

3. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

Which do you doubt, that humanity can have replicated the last 120 years of wars and genocides over the next 175 years, or that some parts of humanity couldn't breed like rabbits given the chance? :)

Of course, a lot of this stuff draws from the RPG also, which might not be the best resource overall. The hyper powers had the problem of needing MORE population, and it doesn't mean they expanded in the same ratio that they began with when it was Australia and India. And, as mentioned before, the representation among the military/ government forces doesn't have to be representative of the cultures involved. I'm sure a lot of melding has taken place.

On the other hand, I'm equally sure that many of the ethnic groups involved would retain their traditions for hundreds of years. So it's whatever the story requires for today.

The idea that Australia (25 million people) smashed into India (1.37billion people) and the result is 2% Australian and 98% Indian is flawed in that regard. It's been 175 years of wars, death, expansion and rearranging.

Of course, as we've already agreed on, the artwork is more like 80% blondes and 20% everything else, so I'm not making the claim that representation is there, just more of a tangent on the internet.

Cthulhu363 and Dragonstriker like this.
  4. Vocenoctum

To be fair, it's not mostly white blonde people in the game. They're not very common in Haqqislam or Yu Jing, and quite rare in Combined Army... :) Are there any blond Tohaa? Do Chaksa count?
    It's PanO we're mainly discussing, though I think O12 is a better example and Ariadna sure. ALEPH has been mentioned, but ALEPH is a unique case of a person being designed for how ALEPH wants them to be perceived rather than any genetics of the moment.

Plus, the majority of the models don't have faces/ hair to discuss, being encased in armor. We're discussing why one of the main white factions doesn't have more non-white people in the few samples shown, because the overall stats for PanO say it should have more non-White people.

5. Hecaton

White blonde people shouldn't be that common in PanO, either. But the art overwhelmingly depicts PanO citizens as white-European.

6. Hecaton

It actually is very difficult to imagine a population shift of that sort. Especially considering that many predominantly white nations' birth rates are below replacement levels.

7. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Hey! I resemble that remark!

8. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I was going to procrastinate, but I put that off until later.

I buy, I paint, I make 'pew-pew' noises and roll dice with my little metal mandollies. To do otherwise is an abomination.
    It is not possible to "buy more than I paint" - no miniatures company makes sufficient model designs to tempt me this way. I thank them for shrouding their gems with the dross, as it makes my task easier.

:D

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

At the moment and not for all of them, 175 years is a really long time to suppose the current trends will hold, same goes for countries that have huge population growth at the moment.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  10. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

It’s also worth remembering some of the crash events over the course of those 175 years that could quite easily serve as catalysts to reverse that trend.

Dragonstriker and chromedog like this.
  11. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

Among them, the USA being devastated, which is a large portion of the white population.

Regardless, it misses the point. You can justify just about anything in a fictional world. But, the game is advertised to a modern audience with modern sensibilities. Among those is a desire to see more diversity in the game materials. Is it a large desire? Don’t know. I do know that if no feedback is provided at all then the scope of that desire cannot be determined.

—edit- removed a needlessly argumentative statement

12. Hecaton

Current trends won't necessarily hold, no, but the difference in population is enough that those trends will almost certainly not have changed the demographics. It's still a failure of a depiction as far as representing who PanO is actually supposed to be made up of. There's a reason large parts of the fanbase have glommed onto PanO as the "white" faction.

13. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Psychoticstorm, with all due respect, you're trying to have the cake and eat it at the same time with this narrative you're selling. The "trend" you call it, is literally billions of people without the Caucasian's typical lack of melanin that was caused by thousands of years of generations on generations living in sun-poor areas. Shifting that trend would very likely cause the region to become unappealing to Pan-O economically, or at least be a cause for a major "character trait" for Pan-O, but CB doesn't seem to want to portray Pan-O like that.

More likely, they just haven't told their artists to paint the miniatures according to the ethnicities in those factions.

And this does lead to the question; why does it seem like you think it's a bad idea for CB to start painting Pan-O miniatures less Caucasian?

Hecaton and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  14. Vocenoctum

I doubt at this point that the evolutionary benefits of melanin really matter to the skin tones, it's just be population stability, destruction, increasing. I don't think India had any major wars mentioned, so they'd still have a large population certainly. PanO's first merges were to form an alliance against China/ Yu Jing, so I don't think there was an actual war, but anything is possible certainly. The main factors would be that PanO and others intentionally encouraged excess population to fill all those planets they were finding. The lowering birth rate is specifically reversed on purpose. Though, I'd also imagine that birth is probably quite different as well. And of course the other factor being that we don't know the actual proportion of folks in the military units we're discussing.

But, the Earth nations ARE unappealing economically...

For sure, it's just artists preference and probably some "this is who our audience is, so we cater to what we think they expect", but of course they also set up the factions as they are. It might have been a bad move, but they could have easily never included India or such in PanO, right? So there's that at least.

No reason to ask the question, since none of us (well that I'm aware of) in this thread are complaining that there's non blondes in PanO. Most of us just don't care. As Ceilican said above, among the fans of the game are those that want to see more diversity in the art.There's also a lot that simply do not care, though. No need to assume they think it's a bad idea or we resent it or anything else when someone explains WHY there's plenty of reasons that the PanO folks that don't use helmets, tend more to blonde hair. It's just a forum discussion after all. :)

15. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Rocks in the middle of ships. Everyone with muddy shoes. Matching % of population in the skin tones is minor against the obvious "wtf!?".

Dragonstriker and Pierzasty like this.
  16. Hecaton

I think there's a strong segment that sees PanO as the white-European faction and would be upset if they were portrayed as appropriately nonwhite (mainly Asian).

17. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Every time I see complaints about blackfacing/whitefacing/not-enough-certain-color-facing, I go back to the original Moderator concept art with the note saying "His skin is green because he wants to."

That said, I think it's a bit of a waste to make PanO a conglomerate of India, SEA and Oceania and not have the minis reflect it.

toadchild, RolandTHTG and SpectralOwl like this.
  18. Hecaton

That's my take. I'm not morally offended, I just expected more.

toadchild and Urist like this.
  19. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The reason I ask the question is because he's the forum's only moderator and, whether he's salaried or not, that makes him a representative of the company to at least a small degree - and the tangent we're on at the moment seems to be saying that whitewashing is okay. So... yeah, that should raise eyebrows.

Plus, you know, the topic isn't all that complicated if you view it as feedback on CB's art, so why not steer it that way instead?

#139 Mahtamori, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Hecaton likes this.
  20. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

New Kirpal Singh sculpt when?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation