1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ 1.2 Symbiomate update

Discussion in 'Spiral Corps' started by Jayward, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Jayward

Jayward Well-Known Member

https://downloads.corvusbelli.com/infinity/faq/n4-faq-en-v1-2.pdf

There's been a change to Symbiomates in the latest FAQ; as far as I can they removed the wording that it 'must be used when suffering a successful attack'. Now you are only forced to use it when you have to make a saving throw.

Assuming I've parsed this correctly, this would mean that Forward Observer and Spotlight no longer trigger the SymbioMate since they don't allow saving throws.

Have I got that right? And are there any other non-saving throw attacks that would have previously stripped the SymbioMate that I'm not aware of?

2. jmmelo

jmmelo Well-Known Member

Seems like they traded there... now the mate becomes vulnerable to flash pulses, but immune to targeting?

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Neither Forward Observer nor Spotlight causes a Saving Throw, so the skill will fail requirements if you try to use it against them, meaning you can still be targeted if you have 'mates.

4. Jayward

Pretty pleased with that, overall. Even with the relatively few games I've played having Spotlight strip the SymbioMate and still leave you Targeted was super annoying. At least this way I've still got the protection for the inevitable Guided Missile coming next order! :D

5. Jayward

Apparently there's more to this than I thought: https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/tohaa-symbiomate-flash-pulse-targeting.41107/

The argument presented is that the Symbiomate grants you ARM and BTS 9 and Immunity (Total) just by being assigned, and that the condition for it being used (and thus removed) is that you make a save roll.

If you've got Immunity (Total) without using the symbiomate, that means that a Flash Pulse or any other non-lethal attack would not in fact remove it as you wouldn't have to make a save roll.

Previously you would have had to remove it anyway because you would have suffered a successful attack.

I'm not sure this is the correct interpretation; I assumed you had to use the SymbioMate to gain Immunity (Total), but that's not quite what the equipment text says. I have also noted that part of the Symbiomate example 2 in the rules annex has also been reworded. The old wording is this (emphasis added):

But in the new rules annex the bolded text has been removed. Is that meant to imply that we don't remove it when hit by non-lethal attacks?

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That's just an improper reading of the rules.

If you are hit by an attack that causes a save (and this includes PH saves from Para), you have to use the SymbioMate. If you use the SymbioMate you apply all the effects; one effect will grant Total Immunity, another does the same thing but with more words, and the last effect will remove the SymbioMate.

Any attacks or effects that doesn't cause a saving throw will be applied directly since the trooper will not have Total Immunity without using the SymbioMate. I can't think of any effects that aren't scenario specific other than Targeted that doesn't also afford a Save.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation