1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantasy wargames

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by Varsovian, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Darklands is having a 2 for 1 sale (you get the cheaper one free) on starter boxes until next monday. Considering the starter boxes are already discounted by about 40%, this is an amazing deal.
    Details here: https://mailchi.mp/mierce-miniatures/qd6scfbxk2-969895
    The larger battle hosts generally come with 22 human sized miniatures, 6 monsters on 50mm-60mm bases, bigger than the TAGs in Infinity and one larger monster on a 80-100mm base for roughly 200 USD plus delivery. Get two and that's 58 models for 200 dollars, 14 of which are huge monsters.

Or get two of the smaller starters for about 110-140 dollars, still great deals. Then play some Dragon Rampant or whatever with some great minis.

#21 Icchan, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    jherazob and Ursun like this.
  2. Ursun

Ursun Tough as Nails, Grim as Old Boots

Uuuuuhhh now thats tempting!

3. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Arena Rex is a really cool game but getting it in Europe is a nightmare. I buy it at GenCon and that's basically it.

Aspect Graviton and Benkei like this.
  4. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

Second solar above we both picked up ours at Gencon, otherwise firestorm games import it to the UK but that's about the only people. The Arena Rex guys had no intention of getting a european distributor any time soon. The sculpts are in the majority excellent but were sprued up for production by a moron.

Godslayer was fun, then it died horribly in our area as they didn't release anything for about two years, looked like it had an interesting fluff setting, however the english translation was terrible like the old spanglish infinity rulebooks but deutchglish instead, (kind of like Yoda dictating after a fourpack of redbull).

5. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

Oh on the subject of Fantasy games I recently picked up a copy of Open Combat which seems a simple ruleset which you can bend to whatever (all stats and features are a point buy system and you design your own troops) It's by no means the crunchiest ruleset out there but it does appear fit for purpose,

I basically got it so I could use whatever fantasy minatures I liked the look of (on an unrelated note on the same shopping trip I picked up spartan Maximus) or put my WFB models to decent use without having to resort to actually having to play AoS

emperorsaistone likes this.
  6. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

Again, thanks for all the input, guys!

I have a request: could anyone here measure the actual height of a Age of Sigmar / WH40K human (or humanoid) mini standing relatively straight up? I'm asking, as I'm really considering getting into Dragon Rampart and I'm wondering whether mixing minis from different games would work scale-wise. Specifically, I'd like to try mixing some minis from Warhammer and Darklands. I wonder whether they would fit together?

@Ursun - do you own (or have you read) the printed rulebook for Dark Age? I've noticed it's longer than the free PDF. So, what else in there - trooper descriptions?

Oh, and guys - thanks for bringing Arena Rex to my attention. Some of these minis are excellent!

7. Ursun

Yeah, pretty much just a Unit list with ~1 page of fluff per unit, ruleswise the download one contains all thats needed, much like Infinity

8. Varsovian

Are there write-ups for all the units in the book? There are unit descriptions on the game's webpage, but not for all of the factions... For example, there's no info on Dragyri or Skarrd troops, just some general faction rules.

And one another question: what is the scale of these minis? Could you measure an average human figure for me?

9. Ursun

For both of those questions I actually have to get to my flgs where my demo stuff is stored, but from memory alone (with a pinch of salt) the regular human (taking the soldier from the 2 player starter) is about the size of an infinity miniature, ~ 32mm.

10. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Technically they're the same scaleā€¦ but just like with Infinity and WH40K the biggest difference is in the style of scale. GW likes to do oldskool sculpts, with heads as large torsos, hands as large heads etc, while Infinity and Darklands (and apparently Arena Rex plus a few others) are true scale. Hands are in correct scale to heads, heads in correct scale to torsos etc. I've used some Saga vikings next to my norse Darklands and honestly the scale difference is noticeable even from a table length away. If that doesn't bother, that's fine. Just be aware that it is noticeable.

jherazob and Balewolf like this.
  11. Varsovian

Okay, here's a question:

I'm really trying to get into playing Dragon Rampant - as it's a nice excuse to buy some interesting minis from games I don't play :) That said, I'm a bit stumped right now: I would really like to field a group of fantasy human infantry. The problem is, I just can't find affordable minis for that. I could use Sisters of the Watch for that (yeah, they are elves, but they could pass for humans), but they have those bows with flaming magical arrows... Even worse, they actually have big honking *hearts* on their belts. They look like Care Bears. Agh!

I have found a really nice-looking shieldmaiden infantry, but they look quite a bit on the barbaric side. I could use something a more... regal (I'm actually trying to do a "Dark Queen and her army" here). Any ideas?

The minis should fit the 28mm scale, as I'll be using quite a few Age of Sigmar minis for other units.

12. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

You could look at Raging Heros Sisters of the Orphanage and some of their other Fantasy sculpts depending of rules for black powder weapons.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation