1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely Impetuous: They're in a place I can't go. What then?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Kazavon, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kazavon

Kazavon Uxia McNeill's #1 Fan

Thread title is pretty explanatory.

In a recent game I had McMurrough about 8 inches away from another unit that was standing on a roof. On their final order, the unit ran onto a bridge section that McMurrough couldn't stand on as it was too small.

McMurrough vs.jpg
    So, when McMurrough's turn begins and his Extremely Impetuous order goes out, what does he do?

I had him Super Jump directly vertically up and chain rifle, though in retrospect, he should have jumped diagonally to chain rifle as the movement had to be directly towards the nearest unit. Could McMurrough have super-jumped into melee and then fallen out of it and declared a CC Attack? Could he land on a piece of scenery too small for him and then continue falling? Should he jump up onto the building and then hover at the bridge's mouth unable to stand on it but obligated to declare a Move short skill to effectively stand still until the unit was dealt with?

If the bridge was as thick vertically as McMurrough's base, he could have climbed it, using that entire order skill to move up. But it wasn't, so I'm just unsure on what to do next time.

I'd also like to know what I should do if a unit is in a place I cannot reach such as inside of a building with no doors or windows.

Thanks for reading!

the huanglong likes this.
  2. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

How does an enemy trooper get inside of a building with no doors or windows?

Keep in mind that Impetuous movement is towards the closest enemy by ORDERS, so if they are inaccessible then they aren't really an eligible target for Impetuous movement.

As for your initial example, I think jumping closer and firing chain rifle makes perfect sense, even if you are not able to get into close combat.

3. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well problem is that technicly you have to try to move into B2B...

4. sorniak

sorniak Well-Known Member

That is interesting. Can't put figure in CC - so CC is impossible, so McMurrr should go somewhere else - if no other targets are there - he just moves straight to centerline (if he already there - impetous doesn't fire ?!)

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As an inaccessible enemy trooper, the one on the bridge would be ignored totally for Impetuous Orders. Note that technically this would include using Super-Jump to gain LoF, because this would shorten the distance that McMurder travelled towards the 'closest' accessible enemy.

The enemy Deployment Zone, not the centre line.

inane.imp and sorniak like this.
  6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

What happens if he super-jumps into CC? Is that allowed?

7. ijw

He can't reach CC in the example given.

8. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Doesn't movement end with base contact? I guess the dog hovers?

9. Hecaton

Are you not allowed to enter CC via jumping if you aren't in contact with a surface you can stand on?

10. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

The trooper you should try to reach is the one closest. The "closest" is defined as the one you can reach in the least amount of order.

In your example, you can't reach the trooper on the bridge. My interpretation would be that you then need an infinite number of order to reach it (as you can't reach it) so it's not the closest.

Regarding the point of a room without door or windows : if you have a room with no access on your table, noone should be able to go there, including during deployement

chromedog and Kazavon like this.
  11. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

So like jump mid-air and touch enemy to be locked down in egaged state?

12. Hecaton

Yeah.

13. the huanglong

upload_2018-4-13_17-54-15.png

So the target is on a plank suspended between two buildings and it's not wide enough for mcyiff, right?

eciu and Hecaton like this.
  14. ijw

McMurrough would fall to the ground as he's not on a surface large enough to support his base.

chromedog and Wolf like this.
  15. Hecaton

But he can't move out of base contact with the dude on the plank...

the huanglong likes this.
  16. ijw

He's not Moving (in the Infinity sense), he's falling.
    • If the first MOV value is insufficient to reach a landing spot for the Jumping model, then assume it falls vertically from the end of its available Movement to the ground. Measure this fall distance for Fall Damage purposes.
    My emphasis.

17. Hecaton

Killer.

18. the huanglong

Maybe after the move ends because he entered base to base, the highlighted clause of Jump comes into effect.

upload_2018-4-13_18-0-45.png

In that case, he falls, and if he falls out of base to base, can he still attack?

Edit: Too slow

Hecaton likes this.
  19. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Yet it would be wrong to claim that a superjump or jumping model doesn't generate AROs along the fall trajectory, and can neither shoot or be shot along the segment where its physical displacement exceeds its movement allowance. :thinking_face:

From the examples in Super-Jump, the path fallen is movement in all of the practical senses. But it's a magical form of movement that doesn't care what the model's movement rate is, and is able to break base contact, because it's not specified to follow the General Movement rules.

Hecaton likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation