1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[EN]Colorshifting paints

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Koin-Koin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Hi, all

I've noticed that Green World Stuff recently released a new paint range called Chameleon.
    Those paints are colorshifting (ie: color change based on light orientation) and I'm considering buying them for some giant robot with large armour plate I'll receive later this month.

I'm wondering if anyone here has some experience with those paints (or from other brands).
    There is some tutorials on their YouTube channel and it seems pretty easy to use.

If I acquire some, I may use it also for Infinity minis in the future. Do you think it could fit the universe or is it a complete outrage ?

PS: sorry for our fellow Spanish members, I already spoil the English language, I won't do worst to yours by copy-pasting google translations :innocent:

2. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

I've seen a Scar Face done with it, and it looked good. I'd say that as long as the rest of your force is done using the same method, it would look fine (I once traded a painted Iguana to a friend, as I used metallics on it, but the rest of my force is NMM). They do look metallic, and could look great for armor (I'm thinking of doing my Nomads with them). They require a black gloss coat to go on well, and go on best with an airbrush (I think they are already pre-thinned). I hear it takes at least 8 thin coats for the effect to show at all with a brush.

I plan to pick them up for some commissions and painting some Kingdom Death stuff, so this is all second hand knowledge.

#2 Balewolf, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Koin-Koin likes this.
  3. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

The only Outrage around here is a manga :tongueclosed:

Go ahead and paint something, i'm interested in the results, already have one of the boxes and am tempted to paint my Marut with one of the colors (the blue-purple one), who knows when am i going to do it though...

There's the tutorials on their site, but as reported it takes lots of coats for the effect to happen, here's Luke trying them out (in case you can't watch now he basically doesn't like them because he's all for fast stuff but acknowledges that they're cool):

Belgrim, Koin-Koin and Golem2God like this.
  4. Koin-Koin

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll certainly order at least one of the set today and add some metal balls to put in my paint bottles.
    This is the kind of big mini I want to paint with.
    [​IMG]
    The big one is 139 mm tall and there 3 other factions to paint.
    So Airbrush will definitely be the way to go here.

Depending on the results, I may give it a try on my Aragoto Senkenbutai and O-Yoroi Kidobutai.

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  5. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

What on earth models are they? they look awesome.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  6. jherazob

Balewolf and Koin-Koin like this.
  7. Koin-Koin

Absolutely :grinning:
    Those are one of the core box faction and are pre-painted. I pledged the painter edition which will provide 4 big Mechs to paint.
    Those 4 beast are the one which are origin of the paint question.

jherazob likes this.
  8. Koin-Koin

Received my chameleon paint set this week end so I had to do some testing.
    [​IMG]
    Instructions clearly state that the best results are achieved with black primed mini.
    So for the sake of testing I primed one in black and one in black grey.

[​IMG]
    First layer (airbrushed), there is already a major difference.

[​IMG]
    Second layer, the difference is still here.

[​IMG]
    Third (and last layer) shows how much we should stick with the instruction here. Prime black, best result.
    Sorry for the ligth difference here.

[​IMG]
    To give a better idea of what the final result could be.

I don't know if I'll stick with this or start again yet but I'll sure do some masking/repaint for details (tires...)

9. hydra

hydra Well-Known Member

Is it me or do other also not see the pictures?

10. Frostphoenyx

Frostphoenyx Well-Known Member

I can see them alright.

Golem2God likes this.
  11. Koin-Koin

In worst case you can check them here

12. Koin-Koin

Finally work on my initial colorshifting project.
    Not easy to show how it works but the more noticable is the base where you can see both pink-red and orange at the same time.

Maybe not the best color, I expect better result with the others (blue, yellow green).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT : Also, I did the dashboard but I'm not sure how I should work the ENERGY label and logo on the upper right.
    I considered using the blue fluo to complete the use of the range but I find it too dark compared to the other fluo colors used.
    Should I keep it whit or go green ? Or red ?
    [​IMG]

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  13. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Do you have access to a white fluo you can mix with the blue one? Maybe plain white? Thin the blue? Test them over some old card with metal and white lines as base; there must be a way to get a lighter look, like electric sparks.

jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  14. Koin-Koin

No white fluo on my racks unfortunately (didn't even know it exists). Plain white could do the trick, I have to test.
    I tried to thin it but it doesn't give the result I'm heading for. More test to perform.

You perfectly get the idea of the electric blue I have in mind.

Not sure if I'll succeed but you're giving me some direction to test, thank a lot.

15. jherazob

Note if you're shopping for white fluo: The Green Stuff World fluo set has a "white" fluo. It is not an actual white fluo, but it's instead pure fluo pigment. It's invisible except under a blacklight, where it's bright and shiny. So, it's more for applying a layer of fluo coloration over something. If you want an actual white that also glows under a blacklight, that's not directly the one you want (although i gotta experiment layering that on top of a normal white, later tried mixing it with white and doesn't work so maybe just a white basecoat with that on top will get the desired result, will have to try later).
    I discovered this when trying to use it for the first time just this week, tried to put a single drop under the palette, but the dropper tip was clogged, and i dumbly just squeezed harder, leaving a nice splash all over the dinner table when it "exploded" and shot out in a random direction. But thankfully the paint is, as mentioned, invisible except under a blacklight (unless it's very thick, then it's a yellowish white pigment). What i couldn't clean in time is invisible (thankfully, as a piece of furniture was splashed and you cannot see it on normal light).
    And now i will be far more paranoid in checking for clogged dropper tips :joy::sweat_smile:

Koin-Koin likes this.
  16. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

GSW one seems to be recent and black light only, while the rest of colors they sell are dayglow fluo, yet thet are all marked the same way. Local supplier seems to be getting rid of fluo pigments, few left, the white was white dust. Kremer still has many, including white. Lefranc Flashe (vinyl, not acrylic) and Schminke Akademie Acrylic have one fluorescent white each, so white version should be avaliable, somewhere.

The crime investigators will have a hard time figuring what happened. Also, from now no disco parties at home unless you want questions.

Are you sure it was clogged and not a seal (like their webpage says)?

jherazob likes this.
  17. jherazob

Yep, it had a heavy crust of pigment on the tip that i ended up removing with a combination of their paint stripper and a brush (which is how i noticed the color of the actual pigment), on the other hand that tip is now in squeaky-clean pristine condition

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation