1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECM on lizard ?

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by perseus, Jul 20, 2018.

1. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

Lizards have ECM but have incredible ph of 17 too.

If you were marked by enemy. Which one would you prefer ?
    Giving a negative mod of -6 or try dodging with ph 11 ?

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Dodging on PH8, you mean?

chromedog, inane.imp and perseus like this.
  3. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

yes i missed -3 mod
    even with 8, can we say ECM better ?

4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Also, you have a Lizard and no Hackers?

So you're probably looking at -9 to their roll.

xagroth likes this.
  5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I think it's per hacker AROing with a U-Turn... So start al -6 (double Interventor ftw!)... So -12. The enemy rolls at what, 6? carry 2 more hackers (for example Zoe) and you nullify totally the attack!

If Corregidor, then probably no, no extra hackers with U-Turn. Unless with the SoF extra, in which case, Uahu...

perseus likes this.
  6. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

yeah. i forgot about uturn.

SM-C9000 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

7. inane.imp

It is, they stack. It's not exactly common to have multiple hackers with the Shield 1 programs though.

Also none of these things affect Spec Fire (Emily at 22's with EM LGLs vs a Targetted enemy is stupid).

#7 inane.imp, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Wyrmnax and xagroth like this.
  8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Realistic, though. ECM is messing with the SML guidance systems (probably Imaging IR or MMW radar), while a Targeted enemy could be known by GPS coordinates and/or laser-spot. If you have your current GPS coordinates and the coordinates of your target, you don't need any guidance in the round itself (they just help reduce the variables in play). The computer in the gunscope handles all the number-crunching to lob a round to the right place.

All that said, N3 ditched realistic for smoother/faster gameplay. So ECM probably should apply to Speculative Fire these days.

9. perseus

perseus Angry Clown

can be realistic but an other reason to not take a tag.

tags really doesnt worth to give costs. everthing is against them on rules base.

SM-C9000 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

10. inane.imp

Realistic. But ECM affects the weapon seeker, whereas U-turn is a cyber attack. Conceptually it attacks the targeting system*, no reason it couldn't also affect Spec Fire.

* Which specific part would change whether it should affect Spec Fire or not.

11. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

If we wanted to nerf linked spec fire it would be better to just do that. Making speculative fire harder against good targets makes unlinked spec, which no one has a problem with, less usable.

12. inane.imp

Nah, it's buff Shield 1 programs. Make DHDs great again :)

13. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

ECM should work against spec fire because I mean it's not like ECM is overpowered is it...

Also Targeted doesn't necessarily mean coordinates or laser, because they can move and be out of LoS and be targeted. I think it is some sort of tactical network "lock" that allows superior targeting assistance and in that case, ECM could absolutely be viable.

14. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Well, you would spec fire at -12... (-6 for spec fire, -6 for ECM), so you would be removing it a lot... To be truthful, the last time I suffered it, it was a Krakot with +3PH and Regeneration , he burned 6 orders at 50% into failing the six rolls XD

The problem is, as mentioned, Emily. That problem is not of Spec Fire in itself, but of a single profile. Take out the E/M grenades of emily (leave those as regular damage 13 grenades), and suddenly she is is less deadly (since a E/M failed BTS means a slagged TAG/HI, while a failed damage roll means a single wound taken).

Not really, ECM works against guided missiles beacuse those are corrected in-flight (there is communication between the missile and another system external to it); Speculative Fire is the old mammal brain throwing balls in a parabolic arc so they fall where you can't see... The ECM would need to be able to spoof "where" the enemy tacnet thinks the TAG is "parked", so the trooper attempting the Spec Fire is trying to shoot at an empty position.
    At least, I think CB envisions those as this. Plus TAGs teng to have tons of PHis (granted, they dodge spec fire at -9...).

CabalTrainee likes this.
  15. inane.imp

If you were going to do it, you'd make ECM work vs Spec Fire but only while in the Targetted state. That changes a -6 to a -3 instead of a +3.

You'd make UTurn work on the same terms.

"Requirement: an enemy makes a BS Attack with the Guided trait or a Speculative Fire attack against a friendly Trooper in the Targetted state." Or something like that.

But I'd also make Targetted easier to achieve.

Give FO the same Range bands as Flash Pulse and make a program that is B3, -6 Atk and ARO. (The point is to leave it about as effective in an active FTF as Spotlight is now, while giving hacking a use in the reactive vs Non-hackable targets).

BUT make Null state Troopers not count as Targetted (targetting corpses to drop explosives on people in cover is gamey if you can't just target the ground).

Make Targetted, Hacking, Guided and Spec Fire have actual gameplay rather than "get Targetted so I can delete you".

Gunmage, xagroth and Solar like this.
  16. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I would do all these things, yes!

17. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

If they were to do it I don't think U-turn should apply. You don't need to nerf spec against all targets.

18. inane.imp

DHDs need a buff. That's all I'm asking for [emoji14]

xagroth likes this.
  19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Or be able to cover for hackmates...

20. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

I think this is the crux of the issue.

Not linkeg LGLs, not spec fired grenades. The problem is really a single profile in the whole of infinity.

Much easier to change that profile than to find ways to screw everything else that works just fine. Spec fire is in general quite fine - requiring a lot of orders to ever accomplish something, with launchers rarely starting in the midfield , having decent BS to begin with and the grenades themselves not very powerful. Emily is a problem because she breaks points #2 and #3.

Deltervees, CabalTrainee and xagroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation