1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTW from behind vs a model that has SSL2

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Thaddius, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

What are the available responses to a target that has SSL2 being shot from behind by a DTW? Are you able to respond with a BS attack or your own DTW?

Neither of those will actually result in a FtF roll which is the first bullet point to Sixth Sense. I do remember reading that you could respond with a shot but can’t find the old forum post. Clarification would be good.

Thanks very much Infinity Community. Lets make these forums a good place to be :)

2. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

• Allows the user to respond with a Face to Face Roll to Attacks (and only Attacks)directed at him by an enemy outside his LoF and regardless the facing of the user.
    • When attacked with a template weapon from outside his LoF the user may ignore the -3 MOD to Dodge a template from outside his LoF.

3. Bobman

Bobman MERC

4. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

5. Bobman

Bobman MERC

I guess exactly as Cervantes says. It’s assuming a standard BS attack.

6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

People are trying to make sense of a poorly-written passage in the rules.

Valmiir likes this.
  7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

It's also worth noting that the linked comment has a green checkmark, which in the old rules forum was a way that Corvus Belli used to show that it was an officially accepted answer.

Bobman likes this.
  8. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Does this, then, allow you to respond with your own DTW? I would assume, yes, but the question/answer seems to only be about being hit by a DTW.

9. Valmiir

Valmiir Member

I'm all for getting official rulings on the forum, but shouldn't his have warranted an entry in the FAQ or the WikiFAQ? I mean, the official ruling seems to be "there is a typo in the rules." Not only that, but as written the rules say something contradictory to the official ruling.

I'm confused (and a little annoyed) that this can be so casually dismissed.

Balewolf likes this.
  10. Bobman

Bobman MERC

Yes.

Imo there's a bunch of SS related stuff that could do with going in the FAQ.

toadchild, Valmiir and Balewolf like this.
  11. Hecaton

The whole Sixth Sense skill needs to be re-written. It wasn't really updated for the shift with smoke templates allowing people to shoot back at -6.

12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Shooting back through smoke with a -6 has always been there; that's not new in 3rd edition. I know there are a number of minor issues with the wording, but I don't actually see any with respect to that.

Things I know of:
    • Being targeted by an attack is listed as a requirement for being able to hold your ARO, which would render the ARO-holding unusable in most cases
    • It says "face to face roll" in several places where it should just give you blanket permission to make an ARO
    • It's not very clear which LoF/facing restrictions it is lifting when you are attacked from outside of LoF

chromedog, Bobman and Balewolf like this.
  13. Hecaton

I agree with your bullet points, but remember when shooting through smoke just meant no retaliation at all? This was N2.

14. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As ToadChild said, MSV+Smoke in N2 let you shoot back at -6, it's just that you had to survive the missions coming Attack first.

15. Hecaton

Oh right, so like how Surprise Shot used to work.

16. C0MR4DE

C0MR4DE Malfunctioning Unidron

Yes, something like Chasseur.... ssl1 + flame.
    But i dont know why everybody play like that. Easy, if the reqs do not meet, the unit only do change face, or lose the Aro.
    I do not know why they dont refresh this rule, because this is one of the most problematic one.

17. Hecaton

Chasseurs are fine in the context of the lists that can run them. I hope CB thinks long and hard before they make another unit with SS and a marker state tho.

18. C0MR4DE

So the main problem is:
    A(Chasseur camo marker, in reactive turn) has LoF to enemy camo marker B. B activate and moves into A-s ZoC with a s.m.s.
    These are the options for A according the rules:
    1,delay aro because B is a camo marker
    2, Use special skill ssl 1, because it is optional.
    3, discover
    4, dodge
    5, Change facing

Options for B:
    1, s.m.s aka move
    2, discover
    3, dodge
    4, use a deployable eq like mine (attack)
    5, Idle
    6, etc special skill

If A pick delay aro and B do a s.m.s. move, A lose his right to aro.
    If A pick use ssl 1(automatic skill) , it forces him/her to come out of camo because :
    *A trooper's Camouflaged state is canceled, and its Marker replaced by its model, whenever:
    • The Camouflaged trooper declares a Skill other than Cautious Movement or a Short Movement Skill that does not require a Roll (except Alert).
    Automatic Skills Automatic Skills are those that can be employed without expending an Order or ARO. Consequently, these Skills do not require a Roll.

++!
    According to the reqs of the SS:
    REQUIREMENTS

In order to use Sixth Sense L1,

• An enemy must be inside the user's Zone of Control.
    • That enemy must declare an Attack against the user.
    The attack part is missing, so when the enemy B camo declares move again, A lose his right to use his delayed Aro, because the used skill which allows the delay is invalid.

BUT in real situation he just flames you in the face which is simply bullshit, and the referees say it is OK.

#18 C0MR4DE, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  19. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

You declare ARO Skills, Short Skills, Short Movement Skills and Entire Order Skills, ie any actual action you perform during an Order or ARO. You don't declare Automatic Skills because they're not an action taken as part of an Order or ARO, so nothing is revealing the Sixth Sense trooper.

As far as delaying and the Requirements are concerned, the ability to delay your ARO should have been outside the Skill box as a separate ability. The example* makes it very clear that the reactive trooper doesn't need to be attacked.

Note that the Chasseur still won't be able to declare anything but Dodge or Discover (or a pointless Change Facing) if the enemy Camo marker doesn't reveal itself with the second Skill.

*EDIT see http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Sixth_Sense#Example_of_Sixth_Sense_L1_vs_a_rear_attack last paragraph:
    'Had the Alguacil declared a further Movement instead of a BS Attack, the Maakrep Tracker would have been able to declare an ARO against an unseen active enemy inside her Zone of Control (Change Facing).'

Hecaton likes this.
  20. C0MR4DE

What does the rule say:
    • The Camouflaged trooper declares a Skill other than Cautious Movement or a Short Movement Skill that does not require a Roll (except Alert).
    Is ssl a skill? Yes. Do you have to use it? Yes. (The Alguacil is now inside the Tracker's Zone of Control so she uses her Sixth Sense L1 Special Skill to delay her ARO, waiting for the Alguacil to make his move.)
    Other example: Dogged, NWI, Mnemonica: These are optional skills automatic skills too, and i have to declare which one i use, if it is applicable.

Yes, the other part was my bad, wrong example with the camo marker. The problem is camo A, visible B in zoc of A and have LoF to A, means delayed order and flame in the face.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation