1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr Cancon: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Just Roll Dice

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by daboarder, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

A TAG is one of most powerful attack piece of any list because they are fast resistent and equiped with heavy weapons backed by Fat L1. A Kamau can win a FtF but will rarely win the fight. Preventing to make any sort of attack thanks to stunned state gives you the possibility that your main ARO piece won't get killed and by this make the turn of your opponent harder.

daboarder and Lesh' like this.
  2. DrVic

DrVic Member

Ah, I see.
    Thanks for clarification

3. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

You stun a TAG that has 9 orders left to play with. Ask yourself what the now stunned TAG can do with said 9 orders.

4. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Agreed with above. To elaborate on why I like this so much:
    Something like the Kamau is likely to get lucky once, perhaps twice, but as great as it is, it usually isn't likely to win the ARO war. If your Kamau Sniper wins once, you want that shot to have as much lasting impact as possible. Against Most 1-Wound units, a Double Action round is very likely to knock them Unconscious, so it's a good option.

Against a TAG though, a lucky DA hit (even a DA Crit) isn't going to remove the TAG from play. Same with AP.

With Stun however, you leverage your one lucky hit into a state that alters the game. Yes, it doesn't do any damage to the TAG's Structure points, but it does effectively remove the TAG from play for an entire turn. This is a really big deal, perhaps even bigger than an E/M / Isolate success, because unlike those states... Stun can't be removed or repaired. Your opponent can't do anything to reverse the effect, and loses the benefit of his power piece.

#44 barakiel, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Abydog, Guardian, Triumph and 4 others like this.
  5. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Is there ever a reason to use AP against anything lighter than a Jotum?

6. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

if they are out of cover yes, other than that, not really and even the Jotum is questionable

loricus likes this.
  7. xammy

xammy Keeper of Random Facts and Strong Opinions

Probably not.

loricus likes this.
  8. barakiel

AP's got a better chance of forcing through one failed save against ARM8+ TAGs in cover, but DA's got better odds of inflicting multiple Wounds of course, so it's pretty much always the better option. So AP has some applicability, but it's not particularly great. It's nicer to actually think of MSRs as just DA or Stun, rather than DA or AP. I think that's probably entrenched from before the slight MSR buff.

loricus, Section9 and daboarder like this.
  9. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

That's how I've been doing it but AP was brought up so I thought I'd check if people found something. Weird seemingly useless things get discovered as useful all the time.

barakiel likes this.
  10. barakiel

Totally. I was actually reflecting on my own surprise that I even mentioned AP in my earlier post... Every game I've played in the last 3 years has had a MULTI Sniper in some form, since I've been using Hexas, Acon Regulars, Bagh Mari, and now the Kamau... And I haven't fired AP once. That's like 500 games :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. From my angle, no, I don't think you're missing much...

11. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Sorry to interject on the ap vs da discussion. But ap is better then da against all arm 8 and above (in or out of cover) tags for the purposes of doing atleast 1 wound to the tag. If you are spending as many orders as it takes to kill the tag, ap is the highest chance to do so. (as far as I can tell using a dice calculator).

Tom McTrouble likes this.
  12. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Intruder MSR has been my signature since he was 51 points and between Token, MSV, and MSR tricks I've had seemingly infinite epiphanies on how to use him, so I'm always on the lookout.
    Stun was a big game changer, sticking a Dog Warrior in place instead of transforming him or being ARM rolled is great.

13. daboarder

Warcor

You are confusing Impact templates stripping cover and AP options.

In fact even out of cover the DA is more likely to do the Wound than the AP vs Armour 8

Kamau Active Vs Squalo No Cover DA
    Dice2.PNG

Same kamau Same situation AP

dice1.PNG

14. daboarder

Warcor

Additionally that chance of the second wound with DA is HUGE compared to the second wound with AP, thats where the real swing occurs because the damage can spike

15. daboarder

Warcor

OK, Interesting, I found where KiY is getting the numbers.,

If the TAG is in cover, then the AP is more likely to wound. That is unexpected.

Kamau DA Vs Cover Squalo
    dice1.PNG

Kamau AP vs Cover Squalo

Dice2.PNG

16. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Gonna be honest, saw your first post and I was confused. I double checked before I made the post and used a fusilier sniper shooting at an idle marut just to double check, and the numbers supported what I said.

But I checked against the marut in cover. I just assume i'm always shooting at things in cover when I do the dice calculator that I didnt spend the time looking without it. Lol. That is interesting that the answer depends on cover/no cover for ap on even the highest arm tags.

AdmiralJCJF and daboarder like this.
  17. daboarder

Warcor

I would too, But I honestly didnt think it would make the numbers flip around that way as I assumed the addition to the TAGs defence would be mostly linear.

interesting to know. Id probably still value that second wound chance, but it is a lot closer

barakiel and kinginyellow like this.
  18. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

Wonder how much OSS made it at this big tournament.

Bet is high. I'm still wondering their weaknesses..

19. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I wouldn't waste any brain power on when to use the AP.

20. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That idea of using Stun Ammo against TAGs is brilliant, since it will stop that unit's Rambo.

mauriciorjbr and loricus like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation