1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like the blatant "inspiration"?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Keyrott, Feb 20, 2018.

1. stevenart74

stevenart74 Well-Known Member

I hope that the sooner possible some happy Nomad Player with Bakunin Pieces and a knack for creative Painting / Modding will show us some "Not-Suicide Squad" kind of WYSYWIG so to have a sensible solution to this conundrum. . .

For the more offending "Harley Warhammer Quinn" a simple swap with a Sword (point downward and with the hilt kept in both hands; Pan-O Knightblade will be better, but a Bandit Cleaver would be far "Nomads-Style") could give a far cooler approach. . .

"Jared Joker Leto" could be just arm-angled differently and a Milliput Scarf could be put on the offending "Mad Smilex" kind of expression and "Katana Babe" could have Her namesake blade removed with something better, such as the weirdly swords of the Moirae. . .

As "Croc Man" is the less maligned of the bunch would need not much; maybe some sort of Back-Spikes added to have a different "Alien Lizard" kind of style with very easy differences. . .

Taking "Draconian Style" Batwings from Fantasy Demons of appropriate sizes would totally thrown this Miniature in a whole new kind of "Homage Offensive" (the aforementioned D&D "Draconians" Winged Dragon Men of Krynn from the Dragonlance have "Inspired" the creepiest Alien Mercs of the weird Movie of the Wachowski "Brothers-Now-Sisters" that is called "Jupite Ascending". . .

Just My two cents. . . .

stargorger likes this.
  2. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

The Nomads Spec Ops comes with a Nomads sword so some people have them laying around. I also won the same spru in a tourney so I have two actually.

Del S likes this.
  3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Personally I do not mind on these little winks to the cultural heritage we all share, in miniature form and in the fluff, we are all "geeks" and we all share the same global culture, its nice to know the designers and sculptors like the same things we like and do their little homages.

Now on Rossie and frankly most things based on "somebodies culture" it is inspired by the idolised form of the culture to a point of reference that exists outside your culture, I definitely can talk a lot about how ones culture is misrepresented or does not fit with the actual culture or myths, it really does not matter outside your culture people see only the things that are strong about such myths.

Frankly Rossie, the stetson hat ectr are cultural icons that have different significance and meaning globally and outside the US than in the US, likewise the Greek Myths are not really what most people know or understand when they see the myriad adaptions of them outside the Greek culture (and inside it) but people get inspired by the "cool" or "dramatic" points not the tiny details that have cultural significance only inside the culture.

4. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

As an American I really love the cowboy hats and revolvers. Coca Cola factory not as much. I've always considered Infinity subtly dystopian and enjoy that but it can't help but be sad when it's my culture's turn.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  5. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Yeah, this happens. My friend eyeballs Infinity atm, and he admitted that he finds some fluffy bits of Kazak Ariadna (which he was interested in initially) to be rather repulsive for that exact reason, like Rodina being basically ran by a bunch of tesseum magnates and some instances of excessive stereotypization (is that even a word?) we call "blooming cranberry" (ctrl+F that stuff).

Although that is merely a small bit aggravating much more pressing issues, like old miniatures that did not age well, lack of their own sectorial and (on a similar note) lack of tool diversity to support different playstyles. If not for that, complaining about that point alone would not be a good idea considering that Infinity to wargames is basically what Street Fighter is to fighting games - a bunch of national and cultural stereotypes pitted against each other (I guess I's repeating myself though).

#65 Barrogh, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I'm kind of the reverse, I think the Coca-Cola factory makes sense but the cowboy hats and revolvers are gratuitous.

7. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

My problem isn't that I feel it's an inaccurate stereotype.
    Right but I don't know many people happy about that or that want that for our future. A bad stereotype ringing true doesn't make it less upsetting.

8. Hecaton

Primarily I'm more worried by the fact that the only red-blooded Americans in the future are under Russian rule and oppressing the shit out of a native population they treat like animals. It's like a nightmare for both sides of the political aisle, or at least it would be if the right didn't start cozying up to the Russians recently.

9. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Personally, I always find it fascinating to see an outsider's perception of what an exaggerated stereotypical representation of my own culture would look like.

Barrogh likes this.
  10. Hecaton

Well we tend to throw it right back at CB with the "siesta" comments lol

Barrogh likes this.
  11. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Yeah, but if a Chinese person found out I think of nail houses and IP theft they wouldn't be too happy.

I think most patriotic people like being associated with their history even in caricature.

12. deltakilo

deltakilo Bear of Butcher bay
    Warcor

i think its a little heavy at the moment, two or three models in a faction is great especially if the profile reflects the character. but more than that is a bit too much and id like to see them ease off a bit. I love the new morlocks but at the same time, the original box had some iconic minis in there so its sad to see that creativity lost.

13. deltakilo

Warcor

frankly im offended that there isnt any outrageous australian stereotypes in the game, i want Bazza, the fosters drinking kangaroo fighting bogan in stubbies and thongs. Natural born warrior and extremely (drunk) impetuous please.

Edit: thongs means something different in australia people. :)

loricus likes this.
  14. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Drunk surfing doesn't make it in to sci-fi for some reason :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I guess I'm happy to be included at all!

15. deltakilo

Warcor

smashin tinnies, and smokin winnies

loricus likes this.
  16. Hecaton

Really? Bolts being nigh-impervious to basic knives isn't enough?

chromedog and loricus like this.
  17. deltakilo

Warcor

I mean, Bioimmunity would explain our drinking habits

Abrilete likes this.
  18. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Bioimmunity explains why they (Bolts) have drop-bears as "pets", though. As in PETN.

19. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I mean the Bolts throw drop bears at people and are immune to poison, and also are super-laid back about everything

So I think they fit the stereotype, haha

chromedog likes this.
  20. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

There is going to be a new Australian PanO troop though right, in Varuna?

PanO finally get a new Engineer, but you can't spend orders on him after the first turn because of the "Respect the Smoko" rule

deltakilo likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation