1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did the process and conclusion of "backdoor" improve your Infinity experience?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Plebian, Apr 3, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Backdoor

1. I have a favorable opinion

49 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. I have an unfavorable opinion

63 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. I have no opinion

49 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I do not know what that is

11 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It'd be better if it wasn't on Twitter because Twitter is fucking cancer.

Solar likes this.
  2. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I would love this just for more unedited Bostria. But I think people underestimate how much work this type of thing is.

3. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

It'd likely need a third-party host of some sort, and most of them have the same problems as Twitter.

Hecaton likes this.
  4. Hecaton

I mean facebook has the whole Black Propaganda problem but is fine for this.

5. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

We could go back to mailing lists like it was the 90s...

Jokes aside, people need to pay attention to the news feed, but the ITS website needs to be far more prominent on the main site. For one thing, there isn't actually a link to its.infinitythegame.com, you have to go through Community then organised play then you get some links to the ITS website, the OTM etc. It looks nice but I think it lacks a little in functionality. It would be better to have a separate tab just for ITS and move 'media' into the resources tab to make room...

ITS is the fulcrum of the whole game now, ITS data is used by CB to decide what to resculpt, what needs to be added etc, so it should be of benefit to give the ITS specific news pride of place.

6. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Pretty much this. ITS is weirdly difficult to access from their landing page

daboarder likes this.
  7. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Any chance of an explanation of this comment? Cos at face value it looks like some racism, so I'm hoping I've just missed some contextual point you were making.

8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Wow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_propaganda

#248 inane.imp, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Barrogh and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  9. paraelix

I asked a question whilst identifying my own potential blind spot... you can lower the levels of condescension in your response.

chromedog likes this.
  10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

11. Hecaton

Black Propaganda is an in-universe term in Infinity used by "the establishment" to talk about what they claim is propaganda spread by Nomads against Aleph. It's essentially the Infinity universe's version of "fake news." There's no racial component to it; I was sarcastically referring to the fact that while Facebook is better than Twitter, it's still pretty shitty, even setting aside the whole "selling everyone's data" thing.

xagroth, AdmiralJCJF and paraelix like this.
  12. paraelix

No troubles. The last week of news is full of racially charged comments and I'm getting pretty tired of it... last thing I want is that junk rearing it's head in my hobby.

Barrogh and chromedog like this.
  13. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I really think people need to relax a bit on that front.

xagroth, chromedog, loricus and 2 others like this.
  14. Hecaton

I don't see the issue. Someone was confused, they asked for a clarification, it was given, we moved on...

cazboab likes this.
  15. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Please wait until after the clarification before you include the name calling. Some people get very upset over the implication even if it has a caveat.

inane.imp likes this.
  16. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

To my mind, most of this could have been side stepped if they just made "narrative experiment (e.g. backdoor)" an optional ITS rule like limited insertion or spec ops. Matches played with the rule enabled contribute to the narrative and deal with it's special rules, matches that don't can ignore it.

So in this case, if you want to participate in the next step of the backdoor narrative, you need to play taking the banned characters into account. If you just want to run a bog standard ITS, though, then you can play and ignore it but those matches have no impact on the next decision point.

xagroth, inane.imp, chromedog and 2 others like this.
  17. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Hell, you could just have an "opt out" choice.

So the default ITS includes Backdoor but those who want to ignore it (especially for events in the next couple of weeks) can.

Whyrocknodie likes this.
  18. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

From the point of view of people in don't want to be part of the shenanigans opt out is fine, but from the point of view of the people who are playing with the shenanigans it will mean that a lot of people who don't know about the shenanigans are included and contributing to the shenanigans, possibly unknowingly.

You should have to opt in to the shenanigans and agree to the stipulations and consequences of the shenanigans.

19. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Thats just called playing non-ITS tournaments.

HellLois and loricus like this.
  20. paraelix

CB is choosing to run events because they want people to participate in them. Giving an opt out option runs counter to this philosophy. Furthermore, it means that some players, depending on their local group/meta, have no opportunity to play in the event because other players don't wish to. This would directly create problems with gaming groups where they then become forcefully cliquey and discourage player involvement - end result being players miss out and abandon the hobby.

(In before someone accuses this event of making people abandon the hobby - cos I'm yet to hear of a single one)

(Also, in before someone suggests that cliquey groups will form from people choosing to play non-ITS rather than participate in ITS event-affected tourneys/games because if people were doing that this thread wouldn't exist and people wouldn't be so mad)

Abrilete likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation