1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defensive Tri- Core?

Discussion in 'Spiral Corps' started by Zachilles, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Zachilles

Zachilles Well-Known Member

Has anyone messed around with a defensive Tri-core link?

I got some games in last night with spiral using the standard Marksman Draal, lsmgl Kriigel, Tri-core and it put in work like but I got to a point where a really wanted to leave the Kriigel bunkered in a central location and keep moving on with the Draal to harass the backfield. I know there's nothing that says I couldn't do that but I really didn't want to break my Tri-core even though the Draal didn't really need it anymore.

I'm thinking of doing something like this
    Spiral Corps
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]3
    TAAGMA (Tri-Core) Breaker Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 21)
    TAAGMA (Multispectral Visor L2) Viral Sniper / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 25)
    KAELTAR (Chain of Command) Light Shotgun, Flash Pulse + 2 SymbioMates / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 21)

3 SWC | 67 Points

Open in Infinity Army

To sit back and ARO to free up orders for single attack pieces like Preceptors, Rasail, or a cheaper Draal Kriigel link that gets to mid field and then beaks off. I just dont think the Tri-Core bonuses are needed on Draals and Kriigels crashing the midfield, Just curious if anyone else has tried something similar.

2. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I'd advise against a purely defensive Tri-Core, because the rule is too valuable to dedicate just to a static position much of the time. But one of my regular opponents will often run four or even five triad-linkable models with the intention of shifting from a defensive Taagma sniper with tricore buffs to an offensive team that leaves the sniper behind (or more likely, its dead) when the situation permits.

It's a powerful defensive piece, but not Kamau-level thanks to the lower BS and lack of mimetism, so you should realistically expect it to die. Just have a plan for when that happens and you're set.

(More generally I endorse the cheap attack piece plan and love playing that way, and it should give you good flexibility of you build for it. You're also right that a Draal doesn't necessarily need tricore bonuses, although both the Draal and Kriigel benefit from them significantly on the defence. A draal in stratuscloud with the full core bonuses is very very hard to kill, and of course sixth sense makes Eraser even better.)

3. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Hey, I do this!

Spiral Corps

[​IMG]6
    CHAKSA AUXILIAR (Baggage, Sensor, Fireteam: Special Triad) Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 10)
    CHAKSA AUXILIAR (Baggage, Sensor, Fireteam: Special Triad) Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 10)
    DRAAL (Minelayer) AP Marksman Rifle, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Viral Pistol, Knife. (1 | 40)
    KAELTAR (Chain of Command) Light Shotgun, Flash Pulse + 2 SymbioMates / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 21)

4 SWC | 127 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Here's an example of part of a list I would do this with. I would start with the Draal, Tricore and MSV2 Viral Sniper linked in Tricore, and then on my turn, if the Sniper is still alive, I would relink it with the two Chaksas, and create another new link of Draal, Tricore, Kaeltar. Honestly the Kaeltar could be pretty much anything is this setup -- I’ve done it with a Kriigel, a Kosuil, another Taagma disguised as either of these, etc. You really have a lot of options for this.

That said, the biggest advantages of Tricore are offensive, in my opinion. The strength of a 5-man without the unwieldiness that normally comes along with it is a huge boon and I think juggling your tricore is one of the keys of the army (and probably also why Neema’s was included, for that sweet +1SWC and the extra command token).

ChoTimberwolf and RobertShepherd like this.
  4. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Yep, that's a very similar setup to what my local uses. He's most recently been experimenting with a Bioengineer of all things in the Kaeltar's place since so much stuff is effectively shock immune, but there's a lot of flexibility.

5. csparris

csparris Captain Sunshine

I ran this tonight. The tricore was effective, the MSV Sniper died on the first order of my opponents turn. A bit of a waste. This sectorial's ARO game isn't nearly as potent as OSS's (which I've been playing for the past 8 months). I think the three Helot Militia were far more effective ARO pieces even if they were only hitting on 8's most of the time. I'm thinking about hiding the sniper until active turn, and taking out ARO pieces with it or pieces moved up.

The tricore with Kriigel was very useful, because the smoke was very valuable at certain times to get across areas where ARO pieces were present.

So far so good. I'm going to run this a while longer to see what else I might want to swap in there, but the sectorial is only but so big. I've only played 3 games with them, so my overall experience with the sectorial is low.

Spiral Corps

[​IMG]6
    KRIIGEL Breaker Combi Rifle + Smoke Light Grenade Launcher / Viral Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    DRAAL (Minelayer) AP Marksman Rifle, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Viral Pistol, Knife. (1 | 40)

4 SWC | 133 Points

Open in Infinity Army

RobertShepherd likes this.
  6. Zachilles

Zachilles Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm still new to tohaa/spiral so breaking and reforming different triads hadn't even crossed my mind, Ill give it a try!

7. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

It's quite expensive, but keep in mind that you can build a 5 man Brawler Fireteam (4 + 1 Taagma) in addition to a Tri-Core.
    A MSV2 Viral Sniper, a MSV2 MSR and a HRL, all with 5 man link bonus, are quite a nasty defensive link team.
    But you might need to include the Combi Neema for the SWC bonus in your list.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation