1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deepwater Dragons - LIVE From the Varunadome!

Discussion in 'Game Reports' started by AdmiralJCJF, Apr 3, 2019.

1. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Brutal night at the Varunadome tonight, with the Deepwater Dragons crushing the Bad Wolves 9-0 in only two rounds of King of the Hill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Valkyrie moved on winged feet to smash down her opposite number and put the Dragons up 4-0 at the end of Round One.

[​IMG]

Solid defense and healing kept the Dragons out of the Infirmary through Round Two, with Valkyrie, Padre Mendoza and Max combining to take down Murtair and Kosmo to end the match with the flawless win.

[​IMG]

Looking back on the match, there were a few key moments which really defined it.

1: Pulling Odin's Breath on the Mulligan draw to get the Dragons Valkyrie to put down her counterpart in the Wolves in the first round.

2: Having the "No!" in hand to cancel the Scram from the Wolves Max at the bottom of round one.

3: Getting off Frostbite on the Dragons Valkyrie so she could tank through the first part of the Wolves second round offensive with Kosmo.

4: Having Ice Wall in hand, and using it, to keep Mendoza up when the Wolves threw Murtair at him in round two.

5: The combined offensive potential of Valkyrie, Mendoza and Max (getting a rare Frag of his very own) putting down Kosmo and Murtair really sealed the deal.

As always, the regular trickle of healing from Mendoza allowed me to keep up the offensive pressure (especially with Valkyrie), and Valk's ability to offend with defense made up for the need to be static.

One interesting thing to note is that we are playing with the Carano Mod, so our teams are fixed. I'd likely not have taken Dart into King of the Hill otherwise. As it was she was pretty hard countered by Kosmo with his smoke, 'though she managed to be the extra body we needed for numbers when it mattered.

The one real miss-play which came from the Wolves in this match was targeting Mendoza (because he was the next activation, in the hopes of getting a skipped activation) instead of Dart, with Murtair. Even with a handful of extra blue dice I doubt she would have stayed up ('though with the way I was rolling she might have pulled it off), whereas Mendoza is a little tougher.

Plus, obviously, some great dice on the Dragons side and some real shockers on the Wolves. Sometimes it really is a few good rolls at the right moments which decides a match!

2. Numazokola

Numazokola Well-Known Member

great report! :+1:

is the second game in the league with victories in the second round haha! looking forward for the next kings of the hills, what will change? because is carano the aristos will remain... intresting

knlghth00d and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  3. AdmiralJCJF

Yeah, sticking with the same team is interesting.

After the narrow loss last week, then this win, I'm feeling fairly confident in the ability of my team to take on a mix of scenarios.

knlghth00d likes this.
  4. AdmiralJCJF

5. AdmiralJCJF

Our next match in the Tempest Hexadome was also Witchland, this time up against the Cherry Bombs:

https://heartofthehyperpower.blogspot.com/2019/07/dragons-vs-cherry-bombs-in-witchland-at.html

I had walked in wanting to run close to what I actually put on the table, with my initial plan for the team being Dart, Eclypse, Gata and Koorie Queen. But in response to the Bombs Team selections I decided to put in Valkyrie instead of Gata.

As things played out I was relatively pleased with that choice, although in retrospect the relative mobility of Gata and her ability to Dazzle might have been just as useful as the damage output from Valkyrie as the Bombs didn't have a lot in the way of Displacement for Valkyrie to ignore.

6. AdmiralJCJF

Back in the Tempest Hexadome, the Deepwater Dragons took on the Bad Wolves in "Broken Land":

https://heartofthehyperpower.blogspot.com/2019/07/dragons-vs-bad-wolves-in-broken-land-at.html

Losing Valkyrie due to the Koorie Queen Mod threw me initially, as she was pretty key to my plans for how to play this scenario. Holding a Ziggurat AND bonus points for killing opposing Aristos in the Ziggurat AS WELL AS bonus points for killing while in the Zone?

Yeah, she was the right ban to pick.

However that just opened me up to picking Gaya, who I was probably going to hold back from in favour of Valkyrie. And boy, OH BOY, did Gaya work out well.

7. AdmiralJCJF

The Dragons third match in the Auckland Aristeia League under the Koorie Queen Mod was a Frenzied Dance against the Thunderbolts.

https://heartofthehyperpower.blogspot.com/2019/07/dragons-vs-thunderbolts-in-frenzied.html

I had intended to run a rendition of my "All The Hidden, All The Time" Team with Dart, Eclypse and Koorie Queen joined by either Valkyrie or Gaia. When the 'bolts banned Koorie Queen I simply pulled in both of my "last choice" Aristos, which proved to be an excellent decision.

The match was dominated by my opening play with Gaia, pulling both Obliteration and Epirogenesis with my mulligan, which placed her last aggressively positioned behind Lunah and the 'bolts Eclypse who she pulled into a corner and pinned down with Gorgoneions for the duration.

Combined with three Frags on hEXx3r and one on Mushashi (who spent the entire match so far out of position that he never got to actually make an attack across four rounds) from Valkyrie and Dart made for a nearly impossible match for the 'bolts.

-V- likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation