1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Declaring reaction with mine/ambush camo

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by k104agi, May 16, 2018.

1. k104agi

k104agi Well-Known Member

Hi again,
    I and my friend are actively trying correcting our gameplays, double-checking the basics.

This time it's about declaring reaction.

Itt starts with this situation:
    It's opponent's turn. an enemy model did his first short skill(or entire order). and there is a mine or an ambush camo to declare reaction with. let's say enemy model moved and there is clear LoF between the model and mine(or ambush-camo). and the distance between them is longer than 8.5"(small teardrop template range). so practically there is no ARO chance for the mine/ambush camo.

What is correct and valid option for me to tell opponent, as per the rule?

1) My mine/camo doesn't have any ARO option, so tell the opponent 'I have LoF but no ARO chance, so I can't declare ARO' (clearly giving a clue that It's some kind of marker/deployed and not a model)

2-a) Tell the opponent 'I just forfeit ARO chance(do nothing)' (not clearly telling about whether having ARO chance or not)

2-b) When asked by the opponent player 'Do you have ARO chance or not at all?'(is this a marker?), Should I tell him the truth or not?

3) tell the opponent 'I have ARO chance but I don't take it(do nothing)' (same as 2nd, but potentially lying as 'having ARO chance')

Personally I'm on the 1) side, but can't find the rule reference for now.
    would appreciate if you give me rule reference too, If there is any.
    thanks in advance!

#1 k104agi, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

“I have no ARO”

3. k104agi

So you're saying 1)?
    Can I ask you why?

4. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

If the Mine was layed by a minelayer, during deployment, your opponent does not know if it's a trooper or a mine. If LoF exists to a model/marker, I will point it out and declare if there is an ARO happening.
    Ex:
    "This model can see you, and he's going to shoot. This model is going to dodge. This marker is not going to ARO."

In your case, you would simply say "it looks like you have LoF on this marker now, but I'm not going to ARO." Your opponent doesn't need to know if it is because you can't, or you simply don't want to.

5. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Because a Mine or an Ambush marker CANNOT take a ARO. So "I have no ARO".
    And the obvious followup Q is "Not even with that marker?" answered with "Not even with that marker."

k104agi, Zewrath and daboarder like this.
  6. gamma ray

gamma ray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

This one.

Part of the fun of playing a camo heavy list is the mind games you can play, like opting to declare "No ARO" with viable troopers in camo, so the opponent assumes that it's a mine.

k104agi and xagroth like this.
  7. k104agi

thank you guys really for quick reply.
    but It seems... there is a difference of point of view on this matter.
    Is this because there is no clear rule or reference about this?

8. macfergusson

macfergusson Van Zant is my spirit animal.

I think people are mostly saying the same thing with slightly different language.

There isn't really a direct rule, however FAQs and such heavily imply it, making it fairly apparent. For example:

Q: Can a Camouflage Marker prevent that an enemy trooper from reverting to the Camouflaged state? If the Camouflage Marker were a Mine, would prevent it too?
    A: Yes, no matter if it is a Mine or a real trooper, as the Camouflage trooper trying to Camouflage again doesn’t know.

We know from this that a camo'd mine won't be discernible from a camo'd trooper.

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It's important to remember that not spending your order (in this case an ARO) does not have a formally specified way of handling it - you're making the decision to not do anything and simply have to communicate this to your opponent so they know to proceed with their game.

10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The trick is doing this in such a way that you don't give away Private information that you don't need to.

Hence why 'x does nothing' is recommended.

k104agi, Robock and daboarder like this.
  11. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

Unless I plan on AROing with something I will typically just say "I have no reactions to that order." If I do have some stuff that will ARO and others that will not, i'll indicate who is reacting and finish with "i have no other reactions".

inane.imp and k104agi like this.
  12. k104agi

TY again!!

13. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

"No ARO" is typically what I say, for Camo that does not want to activate or cannot activate

chromedog likes this.
  14. Foxbringer

Foxbringer Well-Known Member
    Warcor

In our community we just say "Idle" or "No ARO".

15. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Be careful... as has been pointed out in other recent threads, there is a big difference between those two statements. Not the least of which being that you can't actually declare "Idle" in ARO as it does not have an ARO tag.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation