1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with 5-man Link Teams

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Zelaponeepus, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Usually, even though failing the infiltration roll kills their camo.

Knauf likes this.
  2. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Yup, missed that part. Somebody clarified earlier.

3. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Just don't deploy your Infiltrated Daylami close to enemy Samaritan when you're going second. I was stupid enough and I must say trying to kill that thing with its 3 wounds is PITA.

Although that very match also shown me how good chaff units can be at completely killing opponent's first turn. Do recommend.

4. Sojourne

Sojourne Irregular

yeah I think it's on purpose that Vanilla Haqq can't really take on one of those pain trains head on. I'm willing to bet that's a lesson many of us Haqq players had to learn the hard way many times. Kamau MSR, MML2ed Dakini and Unidron links, I'm sure we all know the pain of having to deal with those.

@Zelaponeepus, I think you have the right idea. More often than not the best solution is just to "do the mission", and as you can tell, Haqq has lots of options of slowing down and delaying this pain train. I think the trick is not to rely on only one component. Coordinated Daylamis themselves aren't exactly reliable, but when your list has Daylamis, Mutts, maybe a Fiday or Ragik BSG and a lurking infiltrator such as a LGL Hunzakut, something will eventually stick even if one of the solutions by themself inevitably fails.

It's a bit of a different mindset than playing other factions. Typically other factions just have to put orders into their most efficient and strongest unit to get rid of something (use A to get rid of Z, simple example: with Nomads there's JUST APPLY KRIZA), but with Haqq it's thinking in terms of webs of options and how each one kinda supports each other to solve your problem (use A and B and C to get rid of Z).

#24 Sojourne, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Errhile likes this.
  5. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

To be honest, Nomads were "just applying Intruder" before, which was netting roughly same statistical results (or sometimes better unless used against SSL2 folks) as Kriza nowdays, the latter is just more reliable for 3 reasons:
    - doesn't care about enemy visors;
    - has 2W and is recoverable after losing both;
    - doesn't require extra cogs in the mechanism.

We can sort of emulate statistical odds of shooting with likes of said Kriza even in vanilla, but we still require at least minimal cooperation between our pieces to do so.

Okay, this threatens to go into off-topic towards more general stuff than dealing with links, but it's still relevant.

While templates is one way to threaten units in coherency, worth noting that they aren't the only possible threat or target of opportunity. Case in point, compared to Rifle+LSG profile, Ragik BSG loses basically all ability to engage past 8 inches and only gets 1 damage in return, maybe more if you don't need that template. But in my experience, most tables ensure that there are almost always firelanes longer than 8 inches and AD units generally prefer having ability to exploit more opportunities than just their shotgun gives them, so keep that in mind if you have 1 more point to spend on your Ragik.

As for extra 1+ damage (and extra ARM by extension - that is for future reference), try opening calculator and check out how odds in a FtF roll change when you change ARM/damage values. Spoiler: even turning 2 ARM line trooper into 6 ARM light TAG (you can do that with SpecOps rules with your Muyib template, for example) doesn't make a noticeable blip on the radar. You can imagine what that 1 point of damage will do.

oldGregg likes this.
  6. Sojourne

Sojourne Irregular

Yeah, I meant the Ragik BSG is just an example, it wasn't meant to make a case of whether you should take the Ragik BSG or the rifle+LSG version.

It's more to illustrate precisely the fact that Haqq's sum is greater than its parts in dealing with hard targets such as 5 man link teams.

7. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Four Daylami, coordinated order, B 4 hitting on 8s and it can only defend against one of them unless they dodge, a much weaker ARO.

8. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

edited for clarity

#28 oldGregg, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  9. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

You can't split your burst in ARO so they can only defend against one

Hecaton and oldGregg like this.
  10. Lazarus0909

Lazarus0909 Well-Known Member

I mean technically they can dodge if they want to avoid the normal rolls, but yes it is a good trick. :)

11. jsuso

jsuso Well-Known Member

With Vanilla Haqq, beside most of the ideas proposed here (especially a conbination of Djanbazan HMG, smoke from Mutta, and fidays) Some times I deal with those fireteam with pure brute force using high BS HMGs like Azrail, Al fasid, or more usuarlly Maghariba. They have the BS and burst to have a good chance, and the armor and Wound to take a failure without losing completely the unit.
    The Maghi, with its Multi HMG, is especally effective, as long as you keep an engineer close just in case, and its price is not that high that.

Its true is a tactic easier for other armies, but we can play that game too.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation