1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark's Painting Vault

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by DarKteleFaX, Dec 5, 2017.

1. DarKteleFaX

DarKteleFaX Well-Known Member

Greetings fellow organic beings ^^

I'm finally getting my Infinity painting project launched, and want to share my work with my fellow hobbyists.

A bit about myself:

I hail from Denmark, and I have been a miniature painter and boardgamer for 20+ years now. Painting has always been the main focus of the hobby for me, so many hours of work goes into each miniature.

I've been on and of the hobby for several years, having had long breaks in between doing some actual painting. It was Warmachine that got me into the hobby again, a couple of years ago, but I've had my eyes on the gorgeous miniatures from Corvus Belli as well. Last year I finally decided to focus on the Infinity game, both because I really like the system, but most of all because the models are some of the best and most detailed on the market (if U ask me).

So I decided to get my infinity project going, by getting myself a buttload of miniatures from Haqqislam, Onyx Aggression Force, and now also Yu Jing (because of the Red Veil Box). Painting is progressing slowly, as I'm still trying to dust of the old techniques, and at the same time, I have to learn a few new tricks (like NMM, OSL and such). But it's great fun, and a really nice challenge as well.

I will try and post here regularly, as the project progresses. Please ask questions or comment. I'll be happy to elaborate on my various models, and I generally try to take pictures of each model I work on.

[Update Dec 2017] I will move most of the posts from the old forums to this one.

Hope to see you around!

Best Regards

DarKteleFaX

Golem2God, Belgrim and taylor like this.
  2. DarKteleFaX

The first couple of finished models. Barid and Farzan.

HaqqBarid.jpg

FarzanAprilPledge.jpg

3. DarKteleFaX

Some basework for my Warmachine Cryx, swamp style ^^

Making bases for my miniatures have been an important part of the hobby for a couple of years now. That said, I will be using some the fine resin bases from the Urban Hex base series (Micro Art's Studio), for most of my Yu Jing.

SwampBases.jpg

4. DarKteleFaX

First attempt at Stipling was more or less successfull [​IMG]

Had to test out and trim different brushes, to get a couple of usefull stipling brushes. I found a functional technique, by testing out different dillutions of paint, and amount of paint on the brush. I was a bit carefull in the beginning, which ended up having a more drybrushy effect, but I managed to adjust this eventually.

I recommend trying out this technique on a larger surface. This loincloth was pretty difficult to stiple, because of the folds, which limited the areas where I could actually use the technique. I expect to get a better result on more plain surfaces, like coats.

Stipling.jpg

Sorry bout the shaky pic. I've done a couple more models with the stipling technique, so I'm starting to get the hang of it. Check out the Khawarij and the Zhayedan.

5. mig1

mig1 Active Member

Very nice painting jobs,

and bases!

DarKteleFaX likes this.
  6. DarKteleFaX

These four Ghazi were this first models I began painting in Nov. 2016. They ended up taking almost 6 months to finish :flushed:.
    I had to learn a lot of new tehniques, since I hadn't tried painting at this level before. Flesh, NMM and the Chrome-effect I used for the Jammers, took some time to learn.

My attempt at Chrome effect below:
    ChromeEffect.jpg
    ChromeEffectInverted.jpg

Finished Ghazis (except for varnish and a few grass tufts on the bases with crackled ground):
    Ghazi3.jpg
    Ghazi4.jpg
    Ghazi5.jpg
    Ghazi6.jpg

GhaziAll.jpg

7. DarKteleFaX

The Azrail is personal favorite of mine, so I had to paint him as one of my first Haqq models. Unfortunately he ended up taking a lot of time to finish, like the Ghazis.

The NMM was a pain to get at least somewhat right. The ammo box was painted with an excessive mix of colours and washes, repeated several times. The effect is somewhat like a primitive stipling effect. really happy with the weathering effect, since I didn't manage to make a decent NMM paintjob ^^

I still plan to do some battledamage on the armor, but will wait till I've finished the Azrail with Feurbach (the model is assembled, the base is finished)

AzrailFinished.jpg

And a few details

AzrailDetails.jpg

Attached Files:

8. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Oh snap! Incredible work dude. Those bases are really nice. I couldn't agree with you more - people look at me weird when I tell them the base is as much a part of the model as their head or weapons.

You wouldn't paint a model and leave their head or weapons unpainted - why would you do that with the base?

jherazob and DarKteleFaX like this.
  9. DarKteleFaX

These next two models were painting as a break from the three starterpack Ghulams. Since there was a lot of stipling involved, these models were actually relatively easy to paint, for a Haqq model that is.

Zhayedan:
    Zhayedan1.jpg
    Zhayedan with base:
    Zhayedan2.jpg

Khawarij:
    Khawarij.jpg

10. DarKteleFaX

I have been working on these three Ghulams for a while, finishing other models in between. One is finished, while two are still somewhat work in progress, although nearly done.

Ghulam2.jpg

Finished Ghulam:
    GhulamA.jpg

I still need to do some work on the female face. Learned some new techniques while painting some other models, so I will try and her face a little more colourfull and less flat. Same goes for the hair.
    face2.jpg

I had to redo the eyes on this model a couple of times, before I was satisfied. It's frustrating how a tiny misplacement of the eyedot, can fuck up the face completely. On this model I had diffulties getting his right eye to look in the correct direction. First it was looking straight over the rifle (right side pic), which made him crosseyed. I wanted him to look down the rifle, but ended up with him looking more over his shoulder, like he has just heard someone moving within his ZoC ^^

Face1.jpg

I plan to have the two remaining models finished this month.

Attached Files:

11. DarKteleFaX

Having painted only Haqq models, I decided to take a try at the Ninja with Tactical Bow. I decided to try a different colourscheme, and reverse the colours.
    I generally don't like greyish white colours, which often end up looking dirty, so I went for a bluish white suit instead. Because of black prime, I had to give the suit a grey basecoat, which I did in thin glazes, to avoid thick layers of paint:
    NinjaPrimed.jpg

I realized later, that I should have used a blue base instead, but that was fixed with blue wash. I also wanted the powercables on the suit to stand out, and provide some limited OSL. So these area were given Turquoise wash before the suit was highlighted, and again afterwards to make the Turquoise stand out.
    NinjaShaded.jpg

Several glazes was added to highlight the suit. I made a mistake, because I used Cavalry Brown as base for the Orange/yellow areas. I should have used Orange Brown instead. This resulted in a more yellowish white, than the intended Orange/Yellow.
    NinjaWhite.jpg

Finished Model, except for base:

NinjaFinished.jpg

I managed to break the lower part of the bow while cleaning mouldlines. Fortunately I was able to pin the bastard with a piece of broken drill :relieved::
    PinningFTW.jpg

Attached Files:

Golem2God, xagroth, Belgrim and 2 others like this.
  12. DarKteleFaX

Allright, so I should now have moved most of the content from the old forums, huzzah! :smile:

Currently I'm working on the Zhanshis and the Zûyong from the Red Veil box. The Zhanshis are well on their way, and should be finished soon.
    Like the Ninja, I decided to put some more lighter colours in the paintscheme, which is why the armored vests are white instead of black.
    The Orange/yellow looks much better on these models, because I manged to use the correct base colour, Orange Brown. Which by the way is a pain to coat over black :tongueclosed:
    Progress so far. Mostly need to do highlights on leg armor, and sidearm and paint their boots. I will also put the Japanese letters for Zhanshi on their leftside leg:
    Zhanshis.jpg

I had a great time working on the faces. Followed mr. Giraldez' guidelines from his Masterclass Vol. 2, took a few tries, but ended up pretty decent. Unfortunately the left eye is difficult to see on the male, but I managed to make his eyes actually look asian. I also tried to give him a greenish pale skin colour to match his hair. It's difficult to see on the pics, but his hair has green tone. I was trying to make him look like the concept drawing actually ^^:
    YJfaces.jpg

Also, I've begun working on the Zhûyong or Terracotta Soldier (love those HI models).
    Started by painting most of the armour with Orange brown, since it takes a lot of glazes to cover the black primer. I was worried I might paint over finished areas, if I waited to a later stage. I'm now working on all the power/muscle-cables, trying to get a silvery effect. The rest of the armor will be painted a mix of blue/black and orange/yellow, with white markings.
    Terracotta.jpg

#12 DarKteleFaX, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. maru

maru Well-Known Member

have you taken in to consideration painting over White basecoat ?? - them block areas with black that you need to be black and leve rest white to paint bright colours on white ?

DarKteleFaX likes this.
  14. DarKteleFaX

I'm not a big fan of white basecoat, but that is mostly old habit. I plan to start using my airbrush to apply white primer to specific areas, or putting on basecolours.
    I don't paint certain areas white before putting on certain basecolours, because I fear putting on to many layers of paint. And putting a base on top of white still requires a couple of layers to cover. Using the airbrush should make it easier, and yield a more smooth result.

15. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I'm with you on that. I usually do a black primer base coat, but with that being said, I'm seeing a big difference in the colours applied by an airbrush to a black base and a white base. In Angel's book, he does both, with white over black. I think once I get to painting my haqq, I might try it. My only concern is I'm using Vallejo mecha colour, and the pigmentation is through the god damn roof! Like each layer is super opaque.

Either way though, your stuff is awesome. I'm going to be looking at it for inspiration ibn the new year when painting my stuff. :grimacing:

DarKteleFaX likes this.
  16. maru

maru Well-Known Member

do this with Airbrush - it mixes black and white base coat and make things 100% easer :)

17. DarKteleFaX

Preshading with is definetely an option I will explore as well, thx ^^

I will have to do some testing, when I recieve my spray station, and can work indoor.

18. DarKteleFaX

Thx taylor, glad you like my work so far :grinning:

I heard about the Mecha colour series pigmentation. Maybe not so easy to apply thin layers with, depending on how dilution works with those colours.
    Preshading with white over black may be beneficial in regards to the Haqq models. There's a lot of details on these models, generally, and preshading could be a good way to make those details more visible. I had to recolour on several Haqq models, because I "discovered" new details as I painted the models.

19. DarKteleFaX

First off, a late Happy New Year folks, hope everyone made it safely into 2018 ^^

Small update on my part:
    Holidays ended up being busy as heck, so I didn't get any painting done :cry:
    I instead ended up spending some time on another project, I've been wanting to start up, for some time. A huge Colossus model for Warmachine.

Hyperion.jpg

I have only pinned the model so far, and done some greenstuffing on seams. Upper part of the torso consisted of two parts that was slightly askew, so that took some work to get aligned.
    I have done some more work on the base, which will be an old cobblestone road in a swamp terrain.

BaseWork1.jpg

Front of the base will be the beginning of a small stone bridge. The wire armature will be made into a broken treestump, on which the cogwheel will be leaning. Both the treestump and the cogwheel will be overgrown with creepwine, and so will part of the bridge.

20. DarKteleFaX

Also, I finally got my Luxumbra Stuff :smile:

Great quality models, fantastic detail from what the preliminary examination revealed ^^

LuxStuff.jpg

Argh, too much I want to work on, where to begin?

AidanO, xagroth, jherazob and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation