1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current state of Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Wyrmnax, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

If you call on the Sixth Sense L1 rules to tell your opponent that you delay your ARO versus that enemy (in this case a Camouflage Marker), then this means that if that marker does a Move-Move inside your ZoC you get to declare your ARO after the second short skill. The ARO you declare must still be legal, meaning you can still not Attack the camouflage marker (such as declare the AP Mine Short Skill), but you can declare Discover which would be barred to you if you called on Camouflaged state's rules to delay your declaration.

Also, keeping in mind that delays are not declarations as such and not skills - meaning you don't trigger mines or anything by delaying nor anything else that happens when you declare stuff. The only negative is for Hidden Deployment where you actually have to show what it is and where it is that delays.

ijw and SpectralOwl like this.
  2. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

One element that seems to be ignored in trying to crack the fireteam Kamau sniper is that it will probably never be alone in holding down a lane. The AVA 3 Helots are comically cheap enough to sacrifice on discovers but vicious enough we cannot ignore.

I am really not looking forward to it.

Sedral likes this.
  3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Yup, but usually it's possible to slice those pies.

4. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

And don't forget the cutter sitting right behind the kamau, ready to fire some of those sweet sweet D16 EXP ammo out of nowhere.

5. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Right now I'm more concerned with how Generic YJ is doing rather than IA or ISS.

It’s going to be a long time before I can afford to play IA. Especially if they keep coming out with box sets instead of blisters. I know stores and others like them because of sku count but I’m priced out of it. I really want to do it but I can only do what I can.

My experience with YJ for the last year, playing vanilla has been pretty disappointing. I think I won 1 game all year, and that was against a new player.

At the beginning of the year I was really looking forward to getting the Shikami and almost bought him. But then the very disappointing (to me) Uprising happened. I didn’t have nearly enough JSA it get into it and now I’m stuck with the old Aragoto bikes (at least I think I can turn them into Desperados for my Ikari). Anyway, playing Vanilla was already difficult for me and became more so when I couldn’t use the few JSA figs I had. It felt like when I played Emperor’s Children and Alpha Legion in 40k. GW comes out with a new edition and wipes away most of those two armies. Which led to me quitting 40k!

I’m still concerned that Generic YJ is going to be hard for me. The new profiles coming out look to work fine with IA but are not going to help Generic YJ at all. It’s unlike when Tunguska came out. Tunguska as a sectoral is okay, however, what came out for them made Generic Nomads fantastic! (I think they should have made a few profiles exclusive to the sectoral, but that’s another issue).

Right now, I see no reason to take the Zhencha over the Guilang (maybe for the D-Charge), I don’t see a reason to take a Liu Xing over a Tiger Soldier. The news about Mowang sounds okay but I don’t see a hole he covers in Generic that the Su-Jian doesn’t already do. If he has the same movement as the Yan Huo, even less. I hold hope that Daoying, Hulong, and Haidao are helpful. However, if they are for IA I suspect they are going to be again expensive troops (points). Which I really don’t need.

I currently have no Medium Infantry to take advantage of Bravery. (yes I know Tiger Soldiers could but would you use them for that over Combat Jump?).

I only have one really expensive (and not great) Chain of Command who is also one of only 2 Veterans. Hoping the Daoying takes care of CoC.

I only have 1 AVA 1 Engineer and from what we have heard, the Haidao helps with that, but again expensive. I’m hoping there’s a Doctor too.

Only 1 AVA 1 Doctor and no idea of we will get more.

Say what you want about losing Oniwaban or Raiden with Uprising, what hurt me the most was losing Tokusetsu and not changing the AVA of the Mech-Engineer or Yisheng.

Lately I’ve given up on trying to get any of the Classified Objectives. Every time, so far, I don’t have the troop that can do what’s needed. By adding objectives more troops can do, they made it less likely to get the card by a random draw. Now I just try to secure the HVT every time (same with my Ikari).

I really want to like YJ again. I haven’t for a while now. ISS was good but the story with them started to turn me off. I don’t like playing bad guys. Just my personal preference. For the past few months I’ve been playing Ikari because I can use a lot of my old figures. While they are not the most amazing army, they can be a lot of fun. Just rolling booty for Yuan Yuans can be fun.

Edit: also to note, if they only come out with some of the new guys in a box set, all of it doesn't matter because I won't be able to get it.

Benkei and Mahtamori like this.
  6. MrMorphine482

MrMorphine482 Well-Known Member

Question re: Helots - can we not just counter that with expendable Kuang Shi? Granted they don't have camo on their own...

7. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Liu Xing is pretty mediocre but the Zencha is useful for Vanilla. The only shit part about a Guilang is they're AVA2, getting access to another infiltrating camo FO opens up other options for the Guilang, making it easier to work the Minelayer and MSR into your lists.

As far the rest of the options go, there is some potential in getting some really strong order efficiency out of Vanilla if Tac Sense, NCO, and LT2 translate over there when combined with cheap spam like Kuang Shi and Monks.

Space Ranger, Mahtamori and Shiwen like this.
  8. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

The shock marksmanship rifle at 13 pts gives them range to perch in a difficult spot and shuts down dogged. The decoy means you have to pick which one it is, and limited camo means they can choose not to engage.

MrMorphine482 likes this.
  9. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

As a point of note, the 40 man tournament I was at at weekend was won by generic YJ he even used sniper Sun Tze, alas I didn't play him, but I myself had given extremely serious consideration to playing Generic YJ

krossaks and BenMoss like this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's not give CB any ideas that nested skills are desired or required by the community. I'm hoping that if/when N4 happens, all nested skills go away.

11. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Can't have our fellow yu Jing players feeling like they can't compete! I'm happy to give you some tips man if youd like some. Pm me.

Im loving the Zhencha in vanilla yu Jing. It fills a role I wanted the dao fei for but didn't want to pay 50 points to get.

I think vanillas biggest downside is a strong ARO presence at the moment. And definitely lacks in the variety department. But early teases of IA I think will help that a lot.

ObviousGray likes this.
  12. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Now, I have no idea whether CB will ever decide to improve that ARO presence or decide to make it the main ''de facto'' disadvantage of the faction as a whole...
    But the two leaked profiles do help with variety, that is true enough.

13. Alphz

Probably not as I really think that's the main thing I struggle with in lists. Affordable, effective ARO.
    Combined with choking your opponent with bodies would be super frustrating to play against.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  14. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Well, I don't expect CB to try fixing that ARO problem beyond a minelayer or two, maybe even a sniper, at best.
    Which, if it comes with ''You get really really cool HI units though.''
    Is fair by me.

15. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Bad ARO is what led me to dislike the Neurocinetic Yan Huo ML. Seems like a great idea. Until you realized 1 more shot in ARO is really not that much better. He was either killed by a linked HMG or smoked and then taken out by sniper with MSV2. But mostly just by number of dice. If the Neurocinetics was on the HRMC then things would be much different!

Coach likes this.
  16. Reservup

Reservup Active Member

The Yu Jing version of a Sin-Eater. Glorious.

17. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

They don't help with variety when they are both slight variations on units we already have

Section9 likes this.
  18. Alphz

Lol. That horse no longer resembles a horse. Stop beating it.

Stuffist and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  19. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Well, linked Kamau are *the* exception as far as ARO fireteams are involved. Literally anything else in infinity is easier to handle.

And in that case, brute force is probably the wrong answer. A camo marker with a boarding shotgun can effectively move 12" before needing to act ( Move + Move, be discovered on that first ARO, move + shoot). That gives it a effective reach of around 20". That should be enough to reach and handle a non-msv2 member of the link. Focusing on the MSV2 sniper is exactly the wrong idea on how to handle a link like that - it has other 4 members, and once any of them goes down the effectiveness goes down by a lot.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  20. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

I have to disagree on the shotgun part, it's definitely not a thing Yu-jing is good at, at least according to my experience.

I had this very same idea a few weeks back, and decided to try a few game with a daofeï boarding shotgun who's by far our best unit for this task. It appears it's much, much more order intensive than i had anticipated, and the results were... disappoiting, to say the least. Even keeping him in reserve and then successfully inferior infiltrate him right outside my opponent's DZ while i had first turn and only 10 orders didn't cut it, it simply failed to inflict any lasting damage and deal with the targets he was assigned. Maybe i was just unlucky, or it might be that i simply lack practice with such units, but overall i felt it wasn't worth it and i should just stick to the big guns like i usually do.

Long story short, if you're going after the weak members of the link, leave the boarding shotgun at home and take a spitfire instead. A daofei or a tiger soldier spitfire will definitely shred a fusillier to pieces much more easily.

Wyrmnax and SpectralOwl like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation