1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cumulative dodge penalties

Discussion in 'Rules' started by RobertShepherd, Aug 21, 2020.

1. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Hey folks - just wanted to get an idea of how cumulative penalties stack in Code One. This is all following on from the existing example in the Code One wiki, which states that a trooper with a mine detonating from behind them in their ARO (when they do not have LOF to the mine) suffers a -6 to their dodge roll.

Could people confirm what the relevant penalties that apply to the dodge roll, and how, in each of the below cases?
    1. A Jujak with a flamethrower advances from behind an enemy trooper and into their ZOC, and attacks them with his flamethrower. The reactive trooper dodges.
    2. Same as above, but the Jujak attacks from outside the enemy ZOC.
    3. A Jujak with a flamethrower advances from behind an enemy trooper and into their ZOC, and attacks with his flamethrower. The reactive trooper dodges, which also causes a mine to detonate and hit them. The mine is in their front arc.
    4. Same as above but the mine is in their back arc.

Hisey, Phyr and Mahtamori like this.
  2. Hisey

Hisey Well-Known Member

So, I remember looking at this a while ago and finding some of the interactions odd, but I'll take a stab at it.
    There are currently 3 bullet points that each cause a cumulative -3 MOD to a dodge roll.

1. In ARO, if the Active Trooper is inside ZoC and outside LoF, the Reactive Trooper’s Roll suffers a -3 PH MOD.
    2. If Dodging a Template Weapon without LoF to the attacker, the Trooper’s Roll suffers a -3 PH MOD.
    3. If Dodging the Template of a Deployable Weapon, the Trooper’s Roll suffers a -3 PH MOD.
    So for your scenarios
    1. Both #1 and #2 are applicable, the Jujak is inside ZoC and outside LoF, and the reactive trooper is dodging a template weapon without LoF to the attacker. The reactive trooper is on a -6 to dodge.
    2. Only #2 is applicable, the Jujak is outside ZoC, so #1 from above is not applicable. The reactive trooper is on a -3 to dodge.
    3. The target number for the dodge rolls would be calculated differently against the Jujak and the Mine. Against the Jujak, as above both #1 and #2 is applicable. Against the mine, only #3 is applicable, though I do recall this being the strange point of contention since the #1 bullet point under dodge doesn't specify that the reactive trooper would be at a -3 MOD specifically when dodging an attack from the active trooper, only that they would suffer a -3 MOD when declaring dodge. So in this case, it seems that a mine detonating while the active trooper is inside the reactive trooper's ZoC could have #1 and #3 be applicable. The reactive trooper is on a -6 to the Jujak and a -3 to dodge the mine, unless #1 applies to the mine as well.
    4. Everything in this scenario is the same as above except the mine now applies the #2 bullet point as well as #3 (and possibly #1). The reactive trooper is on a -6 to dodge the Jujak and a -6 to dodge the mine, unless #1 applies to the mine as well.
    Now, I will point out it's been a while since I looked over the C1 rules on this, so if there has been other talk on the subject of whether or not deployable weapons are affected by bullet point #1, I may not have heard it.

The example given in the rules does have a Zhanshi simultaneously dodging combirifle shots from a fusilier and a mine using different target numbers with the negative MOD from dodging a template weapon applying to the mine but not the combirifle shots. so we know the dodge mods don't always apply universally once triggered. As well the language used in #3 is similar to the language used in #1 where it doesn't specify that the MOD applies only to that FTF, so we could infer that the MOD from #1 is not applied universally and is only applied in regards to a FTF with the active trooper in the same way the MOD for #3 is not applied universally when the reactive trooper is dodging a deployable weapon.

I'll admit we also found it strange that #1 and #2 are cumulative, so that dodging a template from inside your ZoC is actually more difficult than dodging one from further away. But given the nature of the types of weapons given direct templates, when translated to the real world I think I'd personally rather try to dodge a shotgun or flamethrower from further away than if it were right up close.

RobertShepherd and Brokenwolf like this.
  3. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Thanks @Hisey. Much obliged. :)

Hisey likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation