1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Great work! I finished 25 Infinity mins :blush:

Finish the news for CJC, work on the backlog of TJC, finish Svarla (the most realistical one here - only the Vargs are left),
    finish the news for SP, get the RF for YJ ready (very realistical also) and (a daring one) finsih the majority (80%) of a unpainted sectorial (MO, Varuna or JSA). Easy :laughing::innocent:

burlesford likes this.
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Hopefully start painting again, Xpress, contrast and instant colours is what I hope will help in this direction.

burlesford likes this.
  3. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

Very impressive 2023! And congrats becoming a dad in 3 months!

My personal goals for 2024:
    1. Finish Invincible Army: Haidao sniper and Mowamg are half done and tabletop ready. Need to do Guijia TAG, Yanhuo, Hulang, Shang Ji box, and Zuyong ML proxy.

2. Finish models I need for ISS, which is the sectorial that originally drew me to Yu Jing: Su Jian, Zhanying hacker, Crane agent, Pheasant proxy, Kanren proxy, and Adil Mehmut proxy, Dakinis and Deva, and I will need to find a Sophotec proxy.

3. Defiance heroes. Let's finally get them done.

4. CHA. I got the sectorial from a local player almost 4years ago. Always wanted to do Scots and kilts in space.

5. Defiance expansion sets. Probably won't get around to it though.

burlesford likes this.
  4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Love all of these! I wish all of you good luck with your projects, even though a bunch of those seem...ambitious? :D

While I haven't started painting any new Nomads for myself yet (still busy with that other secret project), I did paint some more on commission. For example, a Gator.

Small rant: Am I the only one or is the number of little rings/circles on this thing simply ridiculous? Highlighting all of these was a pain and nothing else...

Anyway, here it is, one Gator in the official studio colors:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kesharq, redeemer, Modock and 10 others like this.
  5. psychoticstorm

I quite like them, aesthetic wise, I have not touched them with paint yet to feel the frustration with dealing with so many small details.

burlesford likes this.
  6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I wish you good luck for when you do!

Fewer details on this one, so she was done quite quickly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kesharq, redeemer, Wizzy and 9 others like this.
  7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

More commission stuff. This is the third Zondnautica I've painted, and I have to reiterate how much faster the official color scheme is than my own... It's basically just black metal, red, dark red, and blue lights. I love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kesharq, redeemer, Wizzy and 10 others like this.
  8. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm coming back to my (own) Nomads. This is the first time, however, that I think I'm painting up minis out of pure spite XD

Last year, a local Nomad player had complained to me so many times how bad CJC was and that the only valid build he could think of was a Vostok haris and guided and how he should just play vanilla because they are so much stronger yadda yadda yadda... It came to the point that his naysaying annoyed me so much that I decided to add a couple minis back to my CJC collection (I sold all of it two years ago) for a specific list – just to prove him wrong.

I'm not saying vanilla Nomads isn't stronger than CJC. I'm just saying you can build a fun and powerful CJC list without a Vostok and without guided.

Here's the list I wrote to prove him wrong. Green is a Haris, blue is a core:

Corregidor 1 (Wildcat HRL)
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1
    EVADER (Engineer) AP Spitfire, D-Charges ( | GizmoKit, TinBot: Firewall [-3]) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 34)
    DAKTARI Combi Rifle ( | MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 14)
    ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 10)

MOBILE BRIGADA (Lieutenant) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 32)
    WILDCAT Heavy Rocket Launcher / Assault Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 23)
    JAZZ FTO undefined / undefined. (0.5 | 22)
    [​IMG] JAZZ FTO (Hacker, Number 2) Combi Rifle, Pitcher, Cybermines / Pistol, PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0.5 | 22)
    ALGUACIL (Paramedic) Combi Rifle ( | MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 12)
    ALGUACIL Combi Rifle / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 10)

McMURROUGH Chain Rifle(+1B), Grenades, Smoke Grenades / AP + DA CC Weapon. (0 | 27)
    TOMCAT (Doctor) Combi Rifle, Light Flamethrower ( | MediKit) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 26)
    [​IMG] ZONDCAT PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 4)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5
    INTRUDER Heavy Machine Gun, Grenades / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 41)
    MORAN (Repeater) Boarding Shotgun, Flash Pulse, Crazykoala ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 17)
    MORAN (Repeater) Boarding Shotgun, Flash Pulse, Crazykoala ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 17)
    TRANSDUCTOR ZOND Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 7)
    TRANSDUCTOR ZOND Flash Pulse / PARA CC Weapon(-3). (0 | 7)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The list is built on the fact that even though I sold my CJC, I had kept a couple of my favorite minis: The BSG Mobile Brigada, the Intruder from Crimson Stone, and the Alguaciles (I kept them as Moderators for my Bakunin). Since a lot of the rest is generic Nomad stuff like remotes and Daktari, I only needed to add seven minis to the mix to be able to play CJC again. I chose these partly because I think they're good units and partly because some of them are my favorite new sculpts from the recent CJC redesign:

1 Evader
    1 Wildcat
    1 Tomcat + Zondcat
    2 Moran
    Jazz

With all of these preliminaries out of the way, here's the first of the re-additions, the Evader:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just for fun, here's a side-by-side of my original Evader vs. the new one. I just didn't want to paint him up orange again, so I went for blue this time. Tell me which one you like better:
    [​IMG]

#508 burlesford, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  9. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

That looks like such a fun list! And the blue is beautiful!

burlesford likes this.
  10. psychoticstorm

Did the same a few times, just to stop them, looks like a fun list.

Really nice colour theme, most striking though is how much webbing in different colour makes the miniature look better.

burlesford likes this.
  11. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I like both schemes! However the blue one reminds me too much of Pan-O.

burlesford likes this.
  12. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I get that a lot. Since my PanO is yellow and red, however, I don't mind :D

Second most essential part of any CJC list: Jazz. Was lucky to find the alternate Defiance pose for her:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RolandTHTG, kesharq, redeemer and 9 others like this.
  13. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Nice work, this miniature isn't easy I've found, especially when it comes to highlighting the cyborg areas in paint.

borisgreymenace and burlesford like this.
  14. Lady Numiria

Lady Numiria Cyberius TaskForce

Impressive work on the backpack, and nice how you made that brown outfit readable and textured.

burlesford likes this.
  15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks!
    Yeah, it's really finnicky. Wasn't totally sure what's supposed to be flesh and what isn't. But it's a cool pose.

Next two are the Moran. I understand everyone who's saying they're missing their capes, but I still really like these sculpts. They have a lot of unique design elements that we haven't seen on Nomads before, from the backpacks to the shin guards, and I like the subtle nod to Maasai culture with the pattern down their vests. All in all, lots of fun:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Tomcat Doctor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What a sweet little sculpt! I love the pose and the updated design of the new Tomcats. Was definitely much more fun to paint than the old ones. Speaking of which, I took another comparison shot. I think I've made some progress in the last four years:

[​IMG]

17. psychoticstorm

Indeed she is such a great sculpt, I have actually converted her to hold a Gizmokit, I call the two together "the twins".

Top work on the paintjob.

burlesford likes this.
  18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'd like to see those! You never use the doctor though?

Here's her Zondcat btw. I debated if I should paint her like Hobbes again, but in the end I decided to keep my focus on the blue of this iteration of my CJC. Maybe if I ever get a second one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. psychoticstorm

Ill take a picture of both together, I am not playing much Corregidor lately, but, If I use tomcats I usually take both options at the same time, Carlota is nice but her Parachutist (Dep. Zone) usually means she is not available as a handy side table engineer but as a raider on the enemies deployment zone.

burlesford likes this.
  20. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

True that. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving two orders off the table though in CJC. Not too much order efficiency there to begin with.

Here's the last model of the project, the Wildcat. I put a spare HRL on her base so I can play that loadout as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation