1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused deployment minelayer

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by QueensGambit, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

In biotechvore, I attempt to deploy a minelaying infiltrator and his mine outside my deployment zone. I fail the PH-3 roll. What happens to the mine?

1. It's lost.
    2. I keep it but don't deploy it.
    3. I deploy it in my DZ.

I'm pretty sure it's not (1), because the confused deployment rule says explicitly that you lose the mine if you attempted an infiltration that would have required a roll even without confused deployment. This likely implies that if you wouldn't have otherwise required a roll, you don't lose the mine on failure. But I can't decide between (2) and (3).

2. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Q: Biotechvore - if the Confused Deployment Roll fails, will a trooper lose the Camouflaged or Impersonation state? And Deployable Weapons or Equipment?
    A: Only if the Special Skill would have required a Roll, for example if using Infiltration to deploy beyond the middle line of the table, or Impersonation to deploy in the enemy Deployment Zone.

WarHound and inane.imp like this.
  3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The mine still has to respect the deployment conditions of the scenario, so I assume that for an infiltrator it is 1. if you deploy across the middle line and 3. if you deploy where you'd normally not have to roll, given the FAQ @Zewrath pasted

DukeofEarl and inane.imp like this.
  4. QueensGambit

Hmm. I should've checked the FAQ before posting - it confirms that it's definitely not (1). (Yes, in this scenario I'm deploying on my side of the middle line).

The FAQ doesn't say whether it's (2) or (3), though. It says the unit "doesn't lost the mine" which could mean either "deploys the mine using minelayer, but the deployment must be in the DZ since the parent unit must deploy in the DZ," or "keeps the mine in its inventory."

5. Mahtamori

I don't think you can put it back in your pocket after it is deployed (which you have to do before rolling for conf.deployment)

DukeofEarl likes this.
  6. QueensGambit

That makes sense, I guess. First you place the unit and mine where you want them, then you make the PH-3 roll. So the mine is already down (and the "subtract it from the total of available uses" effect of the Minelayer skill" has already happened) before you have to re-deploy in your DZ. Works for me.

From a narrative perspective I don't like it. I've always figured that an infiltrator failing their PH-3 roll represents the unit failing to sneak up the field in the first place, and never making out of their DZ. So narratively, the dude ought to be able to say "damn I didn't reach my destination where I planned to place this mine, I guess I'll just keep the mine in my pocket for later." But narrative doesn't matter and you're right that rules-wise, it looks like technically the infiltrator is briefly on the table in its desired location, then moves to a new location when it fails its roll.

7. Mahtamori

I honestly agree for the regular infiltration roll, failing that roll is very punishing losing both mine and state. In the case of Confused Deployment I would narratively say that the unit is following orders, but the toxic-corrosive-viral miasma has confused them regarding where exactly they are and they've simply followed orders as best they could

8. QueensGambit

Ha, I like that. Their deployment is literally confused and they accidentally mined their own staging area.

Impetuous troops should have to pass a confused deployment roll or they run in the wrong direction.

Mahtamori likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation